THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Federal 215 primers for 470???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal 215 primers for 470???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted
Well, I have a problem,

I never would have thought that I could get a double rifle built quicker than the primers I need for it would become available.

I have the 500 grain hornady bullets, brass and the powder, I have been unable to find Federal 215 primers ANYWHERE!!!

I have Winchester magnum primers, does anyone here have any experience using them in 470 NE loads sucesfully or do I realy need the unobtainable Federal 215 primers???

Thanks, Jamie

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might call Hornady balistics department. They were most helpful to me. The factory Hornady 470 is loaded with a non canister grade
RL #15 and Federal 216 primers especially developed for the 470 NE. These primers are currently NOT available to reloaders. You must
improvise to duplicate Factory Hornady loads.
Good shooting.....

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Advertise in the Classifieds, undoubtedly someone has some 215's they'll part with ... I'm keeping mine!

If you get really desperate, I have some Hornady primed Hornady brass I'll swap you, but it's gonna be expensive! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jamie, call me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Alaska for petes sake and was in the local (Anchorage store) Sportsman Warehouse on Monday and even they had Federal 215's on the shelf.
If we can get them up here any lower 48 dealer should be able to as well. Or call the Anchorage store and see if they can ship you some.
Be ready to be bent over on shipping charges though, lol

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had trouble here in MD. Loacal shops are out and 215's are backordered (or were last I checked not too long ago.)

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tetonka:
The factory Hornady 470 is loaded with a non canister grade
RL #15 and Federal 216 primers especially developed for the 470 NE. These primers are currently NOT available to reloaders.

tetonka - this is certainly true of Federal's ammo, but I don't believe that it is the case with Hornady's. I have not pulled a 470 Hornady to weigh the powder, but I believe they're using a 4831 powder.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of bigfats
posted Hide Post
What's wrong with using Win WLRM primers?

Seems you would be hard pressed to tell any difference, pro/con.

Jim

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some primed Hornady brass from Butch awhile back, I believe he said that the primers are Federal 215.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Butch still had a lot of new primed 470 Hornady brass the last I heard. Like he said, call him.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19334 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
new_guy
Chris you are right, sorry my mistake. It is
Federal loading the RL15 with the 216 primers in the 470. For Hornady in the big cases it
probably is the H4831 either short cut or regular version.
Thanks for the correction,
tetonka

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are starting to see primers show up here in North Carolina. At the last gun show I saw Federal primers priced from $35/1000 to $50/1000. If an AR member is coming thru NC and needs some 215's, I have 3 or 4 thousand I could spare at my cost of $30/1000. These are not the 215m's just the regular 215's.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't no difference between 215 and 215M other than a so called visual inspection. Go for the cheapest.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ed Scarboro:
We are starting to see primers show up here in North Carolina. At the last gun show I saw Federal primers priced from $35/1000 to $50/1000. If an AR member is coming thru NC and needs some 215's, I have 3 or 4 thousand I could spare at my cost of $30/1000. These are not the 215m's just the regular 215's.

I hope this is about over. I can't seem to find any Federal large rifle magnum primers up here for love nor money! I did buy 1000 Remingtons the other day but no Federals, CCI, or Winchester magnums to be had. How long to you think this will continue?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
quote:
have Winchester magnum primers, does anyone here have any experience using them in 470 NE loads sucesfully or do I realy need the unobtainable Federal 215 primers???

I worked up my loads and practiced with Winchester and Remington primers in my 470. I switched to 215s before I went to Africa. No difference in velocity, accuracy, or point of impact.

Same thing with a sub MOA 308 I have, ran out of 210Ms, switched to Win LR no difference.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Midwayusa is stocking them now! Didn't have them yesterday.

-Extremist
"Pain is weakness leaving the body" -Instructor
Victory in life is dying for what you were born to do.
"I hope you live forever" -300
"Never judge an enemy by his words, he might turn out to be a better shot then a writer"
http://www.gscustomusa.com

Posts: 213 | Location: Auburn, IN | Registered: 16 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Terrell Gun Shop in Terrell, Tex just told me he has both 205M, 210, and 215ms as well as Winchester primers. They are expensive $50 a thousand. 972-563-2228. I'll be there in the morning and could pick some up, but I will not ship.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the Federal Rep. at the DSC show...he said they had doubled their production of primers. I found a couple thousand 210's shortly after, but we still don't have 215's in western Oklahoma. I am down to 300 and getting nervous.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find the Federals, CCI 250's work well in the .470. I've not had any problems with them.

Posts: 318 | Location: No. California | Registered: 19 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be nice if someone could do a good test of primers in the 450, 470, and 500's with full power loads to see if there is any real difference using 215's vs CCI, Rem, or Win mag primers.
Wonder if this is just another one of those long established nonbased rumors that has been repeated so long every one thinks it is gospel?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe, while I don't own a double rifle nor a big bore other than a 45-70, I load for a lot of other calibers. I've always used 215 gmm for magnums.

Last year I spent a lot time loading and testing 7mmRM and 300Wm for a nephew in order to have multiple aiming dots installed on each scope for his upcoming elk hunt.

I was low on 215 primers and used CCI LR Mag..
During one loading session I decided to load some with the 215's to compare. The CCI's recorded both higher vel. and better shot to shot consistancy as well as smaller groups. Glad I bought a large supply of CCI's.

Like I said, I do not own a double and these are my results using the 2 above cartridges and only 1 range session comparing.

Joe A.

Posts: 151 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
Now that is intresting.....

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe A.:
Snowwolfe, while I don't own a double rifle nor a big bore other than a 45-70, I load for a lot of other calibers. I've always used 215 gmm for magnums.

Last year I spent a lot time loading and testing 7mmRM and 300Wm for a nephew in order to have multiple aiming dots installed on each scope for his upcoming elk hunt.

I was low on 215 primers and used CCI LR Mag..
During one loading session I decided to load some with the 215's to compare. The CCI's recorded both higher vel. and better shot to shot consistancy as well as smaller groups. Glad I bought a large supply of CCI's.

Like I said, I do not own a double and these are my results using the 2 above cartridges and only 1 range session comparing.

Joe A.

I don't think that's uncommon at all. It really depends on what powder is used, what the case capacity is, the expansion ratio, and many other things. This means a new test with different cartridges or other changes, can change everything, giving different results.

Everything has to be matched and it is possible to have too hot of a primer too...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Joe's test results are very interesting. Unfortunately, there is a HUGE difference in case capacity between a 7mm Rem and the likes of a .450 #2 or a .470NE.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honkey
If you really want the 215's, I will trade
you for your Winchester mags. I have quite a
few you could have.
Raff

Posts: 460 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought some Federal 215M primers from Bruno Shooters Supply last week.

www.brunoshooters.com

Jack Hood

DRSS

Posts: 253 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 19 January 2008Reply With Quote