THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Lightweight 400... 10 lbs scoped
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lightweight 400... 10 lbs scoped
 Login/Join

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted
450/400 with 26" barrels, 1-8 Swarovski in claw mounts... totaling 10 lbs (all in) might be appealing?

Might also be the perfect buffalo rifle!

I LOVE this 3-D modeling!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last week I bought a Heym 88B PH in 450-400 with 26" barrels and claw mounted 1-6 Swarovski. Can't wait to get it out to the range and try it. Owned several Merkel 140's and I really liked them, but the Heym feels better with the longer barrels. Maybe it's just in my head because you wouldn't think 3 inches in barrel length would make that much difference.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, I like the longer barrels as well. Without the length of an "action", a DR feels too short and clubby to me with 24" barrels.

Posts: 20139 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like longer barrels too. I just do not understand sort barrels on a double, but if someone likes short barrels that is their proghtive. Some like blondes some like red heads.

Posts: 11365 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, Good to hear from you and the other guys on the site. I had been working a lot and lost track of time. Can't believe it's been almost 3 years since I had been on the site.

Posts: 155 | Location: Moorefield, WV | Registered: 14 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
My Simson .405 weighs 10 pounds with Leupold scope - makes a real nice package and the weight kills the recoil of heavy 400 grain hand loads.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jungleboy
posted Hide Post
My Charles Lancaster 450/400, 3 1/4" NE, has 26" barrels & weighs

in at 10 pounds as well. Seems to balance perfectly & recoil is

minimal (seems less than my buddy's 300 Win Mag!). 10 pounds is

an "easy" carry weight even on long treks after elephant, buffalo,...

Posts: 520 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by new_guy:
450/400 with 26" barrels, 1-8 Swarovski in claw mounts... totaling 10 lbs (all in) might be appealing?

Might also be the perfect buffalo rifle!

I LOVE this 3-D modeling!

Chris, do you have this in stock? 88b or 89b? Price?

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
That is perfect weight Chris! The only reason I sold my Heym 450/400 was I thought it was too heavy.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 450-400 with 26 inch barrels weighs in at 10lb 2 oz. What's more important is stock fit and balance.

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Agreed... 10 pounds is the ideal (and historically accurate) weight for a 450/400. It's also an ideal caliber for a scope.

Scope, rings and claw mounts add about a pound... so your 450/400 can get to 11 pounds pretty quickly.

With this smaller frame, we can build a 9lb 450/400... add a pound, and you're spot on at 10.0 lbs.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Dawson:
Last week I bought a Heym 88B PH in 450-400 with 26" barrels and claw mounted 1-6 Swarovski. Can't wait to get it out to the range and try it. Owned several Merkel 140's and I really liked them, but the Heym feels better with the longer barrels. Maybe it's just in my head because you wouldn't think 3 inches in barrel length would make that much difference.

Did Heym mount the scope? I was going to get them to put one of those Swarovskis on my .450/.400, too, until they told me the mounting would cost $2400 - about $400 more than the scope itself. I imagine the great expense had something to do with re-regulation required with the scope's mass added.

Mine has 26-inch barrels, too, but feels a fraction muzzle heavy, compared with a 24" Jeffery I tried at the time. I wouldn't have them any shorter, though, because the calibre is already a fraction marginal for the big stuff, and I wouldn't want to lose any more velocity from the Hornady tropical loadings.

Posts: 5011 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure the Heym did the mounting when the rifle was built at their factory. PM me your email and I'll send you a photograph of how it is set up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Most English rifles in 40 cal. are 9-3/4 to 10-1/2 lbs depending on wood structure..and that's as it should be..10s about perfect..

I like 26 inch barrels, but I had a 450-400 that I purchased from an AR member, reluctantly, but he is a good friend and never steered me wrong so I bought it...I have to say I never owned a better feeling or handling double rifle, as I recall it was a Jefferys? and it was incredibly accurate..I held on to it for a long time until some nut case tempted me byond my greedy capability..something I have dreaded more than a few times..It was so handy and pointed like a 410 Boss shotgun...awesome little gun, and the only 20 inch double rifle have ever seen. It had been modified and re-regulated..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41970 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Most English rifles in 40 cal. are 9-3/4 to 10-1/2 lbs depending on wood structure..and that's as it should be..10s about perfect..

I like 26 inch barrels, but I had a 450-400 that I purchased from an AR member, reluctantly, but he is a good friend and never steered me wrong so I bought it...I have to say I never owned a better feeling or handling double rifle, as I recall it was a Jefferys? and it was incredibly accurate..I held on to it for a long time until some nut case tempted me byond my greedy capability..something I have dreaded more than a few times..It was so handy and pointed like a 410 Boss shotgun...awesome little gun, and the only 20 inch double rifle have ever seen. It had been modified and re-regulated..

Everybody is keen on barrel length,but I think it's the quality of the maker that is going to dictate how the rifle feels between the hands,no matter the length,it's how it balances is what really counts,my favorite DR is only 21"in barrel length & I have several others going 24" to 26",including two Heyms & two lowly CZ Brnos,my first Dr was a Merkel,Ray had a Jeffery's,& people are still trying to copy the fit & finish & balance of those well built english guns.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote