New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I stumbled on a very nice little prewar 20 ga SxS proofdate 12/28, probably a guild gun out of Suhl. Its a wand, very trim, under 6lbs...rotary cocking indicators, Anson and Deeley action (double underbite). The barrels are a little rough, some pitting, but very usable. I'm toying with having a set of rifle barrels fitted in a medium caliber. Already have a double in 9.3x74R. I know the rimmed cartridges are probably better suited. What say ye?....I don't own an 06, maybe the 8mm as an equivalent.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll try not to be blasphemous: 7x65R, 30-30, 303 British. If you want a 30-06 equivalent- 30R Blaser.

Lots of choices.

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 9,3x74R might be considered a medium caliber if you are comparing it to the big boys. In a small trim rifle it gives quite a smack recoil wise. I used mine to shoot a couple of moose and it performed well.
Can't recommend a better round than the 30R Blaser for hunting in the lower 48 states

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x65Rimmed...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one double in big bore. In a small bore for large game I believe you only have 3 modern choices the 30 Blaser, 7x65R my choice, 8mm. Heym and chapius make doubles in 30/30.
If a vintage rifle 333 Jeffery was available rimmed. There are a lot of small mediums like the 350no2 out there that would have mild recoil. The 300 super was also made rimmed but I have seen single shots but no doubles in that cartridge.
Good luck choosing and happy hunting.

Posts: 11366 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis also makes a UGEX model in 30R Blaser. I own one, hope to blast a whitetail or two with it this coming season.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with sizing 7X65R brass in an '06 die to make a rimmed 30'06.
Easy to do as every smith has '06 reamers and there are lots of cheap barrels out there for every 30cal bullet weight.
7X65R is a great choice of course too.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. JonP: When I was hunting boar in Austria last year, the most common small double rifle cartridges that was 30/06 followed by the 7X65R. Of course, this was a three day hunting trip, so take it for what it is worth. Mr. Huvius' idea is an excellent one. I think that Arron Little whose work is often posted on this site could build a reliable and well regulated double according to Mr. Huvius idea. Other than that, I think the 30 Blaser cartridge would be less costly to get into. If you want a 30 cal faster than the 30/30 or 303 class.

Posts: 11366 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have had a 7x65R and really liked it, but don't underestimate the 8x57 JRS, as well.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
having owned several "small" DR's

8x57JRS is hard to beat

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
- 7.62 Russian (7.62x54R)
- 7x57R

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
7x65R is a great cartridge. I've owned one double rifle and one combination gun in that caliber. But for a shotgun conversion 7x57R may be a better choice because it is designed for lower pressures. CIP piezo standard for 7x65R is 55,000 psi and for the 7x57R it's 49,000 psi. I doubt you would be able to tell any difference in performance between the two cartridges at double rifle hunting ranges.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I pick the 7x57R

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With a picture like Mr. Ozhunter's, it is hard not to choose the 7x57R. And just about everyone chambers a rifle for it and ammo is everywhere.
Good luck choosing and good hunting.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could call it the .275 Rigby Flanged.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
In a light double a 9.3X74R will provide you with "Brisk" recoil. I would suggest a smaller rimmed cartridge 8x, or 7X or 6.5x. Much more fun! I speak from experience with a Chapuis 9.3X74R.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do like the 7x57R...160 gr at 2500 would do all I need. I'll ask the smith about the pressure concern when we get there. Appreciate the suggestions

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Get a pair of 8X57RS (.323 dia)! It posts about 40 K chamber pressure with a 170 gr bullet @ about 2400 FPS. A 30-30 with a 1 in 10 twist regulated for 150 gr factory ammo available in any country store in the USA. The 30-30 only develops about 32K pressure. Both are fine for just about anything in North America.
.................................................................. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Our man and the 30/30! The old man didn't like it much.

I vote 7x57R.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote