New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Book on Double Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just finished reading "The Big-Bore Rifle" by Michael McIntosh bulled as "The Book of Fine Magazine & Double Rifles .375-.700 Calibers". 1990 book by Countrysport Press. Great read. I hadn't heard anything about this book before, and took a chance. I was, however, prepared to be bored to beath. I was pleasantly surprised.

There is not a whole lot out there reading wise that focuses on double rifles and that does not cost an arm and a leg. It is well written with a lot of history on the subject.

The author is an English Major and outdoor writer, so it is not a boring rag that puts you to sleep.

From front loading flintlocks to the modern double. Interesting material on the transition to breech loading and even more interesting material on rifling (how the theory and reality were off a little).

And he mixes in the experiences of the early to turn of the century African hunters and their doubles.

It's late, but I think there is a part in there about Mac hunting with Samuel Baker in Ceylon, 400 instructing Holland and Holland how to build their first smokeless powder cordite double when they just didn't get it, and Rusty going with Roosevelt on his African hunt. But I could be wrong. Hey, at least the part about 400 is believable!

But I digress. A good book you can pick up at a fairly good price. Unlike "The Hammerless Double Rifle" by Gray, which I have only heard about. I'm sure Gray's book is great, but the cost of the Hammerless Double Rifle is about as much as a hammerless double rifle.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Gray's book is ok but I think "Shooting the British Double Rifle" by Graeme Wright is better and a fraction of the price.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we have copies of

BUILDING DOUBLE RIFLES ON SHOTGUN ACTIONS

which walks you through the entire process and is a valuable addition to any double rifle enthusiasts library.

crownpress@alltel.net

call tom @ 814 774 5739

or mail

crownpress
po box 126
austinburg, oh
44010-0126

visa, mastercard or check $65.00postpaid in usa

also have graeme wrights book

SHOOTING THE BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE

$42.00 ppd in usa - mention accurate reloading

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote