New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non ejector conversion
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Westley Richards T model 470NE which I've owned for 10 years, taking game from rabbits to elephant.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered and received Westley Richards factory doco that it was made in 1936 as a 26" barreled non ejector, and was delivered to a Bombay gun dealer.

The issue is that it is now a 25" with ejectors. Westley Richards say they do not have a way of accessing information on repairs and conversions and cannot say whether they made the modifications or not. All the proof marks and serial numbers on the flats and action etc are correct for a 1936 rifle.

I am wondering how hard it is to convert a non ejector to selective ejectors? is it likely to have been done by a gunsmith other than Westley Richards? Could it have been modified in India? Could WR records be wrong?

Any info or comments greatly appreciated.

mike

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I'd call JJ Parodeau at Champlins. I'd trust him if there was any work to be done.

CHAMPLINS

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AussieMike:
I have a Westley Richards T model 470NE which I've owned for 10 years, taking game from rabbits to elephant.

A couple of weeks ago I ordered and received Westley Richards factory doco that it was made in 1936 as a 26" barreled non ejector, and was delivered to a Bombay gun dealer.

The issue is that it is now a 25" with ejectors. Westley Richards say they do not have a way of accessing information on repairs and conversions and cannot say whether they made the modifications or not. All the proof marks and serial numbers on the flats and action etc are correct for a 1936 rifle.

I am wondering how hard it is to convert a non ejector to selective ejectors? is it likely to have been done by a gunsmith other than Westley Richards? Could it have been modified in India? Could WR records be wrong?

Any info or comments greatly appreciated.

mike

AussieMike, it is quite possible for this work to have been done by WR, and not be in their records, of repair. I collect Westley Richards rifles, and their records are far from being complete! If the work was done at a later date, as it seems to have been, it could have been done by any number of smiths that are just as good as WR employees at their trade.
The descrepency of the barrel length is what makes me think it might have been damaged some way in the muzzle area, and while the barrles were being repaired, and recowned the ejectors were ordered to be done at the same time. It could certainly be that it was done in India, but I think a quick look at the parts involved, would tell you quickly if it was. Though they may work perfectly, they will usually have some tool marks not found on WR work.
beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it could be that the muzzles were damaged and ejectors were added when the barrels were shortened. Neither shortening the barrels of a double nor retrofitting ejectors is simple. Lot of trouble to go to just to shorten one inch. The ejectors weren't worth the trouble. I have to wonder if Westley pulled the data for the correct rifle.

There's also a possibility that the barrels were replaced. Depending on where proved, the marks would be the same if it was done before 1955. Does this rifle have Birmingham or London marks? If Birmingham, does it have the correct date code mark for 1936 (crossed swords with a P or R in the upper angle)?

The chances of such work having been done in India are quite remote.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
AussieMike,
Both Manton and Lyon & Lyon and possible others like Rodda had very competent gunsmith's at their shops in Calcutta. So it is not absolutely out of the question that the work could have been done in India.

As I recall WR used the A&D ejector system which is quite complicated compared to H&H. Is your ejector's of the A&D system?

Husky

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just back from a week in Indonesia, no hunting, unfortunately. Saw some rusa skulls with very small antlers in the second hand stalls at the markets.

es, it is an A&D. I will check the proofs later trhis week. I recollect that it is irmingham proofed.

Regards,

mike