Find
Notify
Tools

Stand up rest
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted
Lots of discussion about using a lead sled. Brings up the question of building a portable stand up shooting rest for the larger double rifles. Smiler

Anyone built one, bought one, seen one, or have plans for one?

Posts: 742 | Location: Kerrville, TX | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
caldwell magnum dead shot

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Caldwell as Sam suggests.

One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
What size doubles has anyone used on it? Very intriguing.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot my 577 off it. Great for testing regulation. I think its the best standing rest I've used for practice. Too big for hunting. Its made like a surveyors tripod.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Gents:
Here is my standing rest at my home in Alaska. The uprights are drilled to accept dowels and the rest sits on them so it is adjustable for height. The 2x6 upright at the rear is for my right elbow to rest on for added stability. As a right handed shooter the cut out on the table give me room for both standing and seated shooting. However, I use the rest to develop an accurate load in whatever double I am shooting. When that is established I only shoot offhand, from sticks, or a portable tripod--i.e. only what I may have available in the field, bush, or tundra.
If anyone is interested, I can supply dimensions after I return from Dallas. I built it out of scrap wood and it has worked well for 7 years.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That rest looks lonely and cold in the last picture! shocker

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I created a portable stand. It was nothing special due to my craftsmanship or lack there of, but I think the design had merit. I had an H pattern floor of 2x4s with steel bracketing coming up perpendicular to the H pattern. There was a cross piece in the bracketing to rest the rifle on made from another piece of steel with a 1x4 bolted on top for a nicer platform to rest on. The whole contraption was then C clamped on the shooting bench. Frostbit has it, so perhaps he'll chime in with a picture.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I heard Frostbit sold it and that is how he paid for the Lawn and Alder.
I won't say who he sold it to, but Shootaway will have better targets in the future.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
There is a good standing rest at one of the local ranges in Houston. I will try to describe it with apologies in advance for using words instead of a picture since I do not have one.

Someone took a tire rim and welded a segment of metal pipe about 3-4' tall to the center of it. Then they drilled two holes in the pipe and welded nuts over each hole. They made T handles with rebar being the top of the T and a piece of threaded bolt stock matching the nut's thread being the base of the T. Inside the pipe they placed a smaller diameter pipe that would slide in and out of the larger diameter pipe welded to tire rim. The two threaded T handles were used to tighten and loosen the inside pipe allowing it to move up and down for height adjustment. On top of the smaller pipe they welded a "shelf" that was about 24" long and 6" wide. On this shelf they affixed a piece of 2x6 and then put a piece of foam on top and covered it all. Worked very nicely.

I realized about half way through this that my description was sort of like trying to do a set of step-by-step brain surgery instructions but I was committed at that point and had to finish. Big Grin

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Actually, I've found that the rear corner of the bed rail / tailgate (in the "up" position) of my Dodge 2500 4WD, 4" lifted pickup makes a great stand up rest when angled at 45 degrees to the target, and a single hunting jacket folded over twice across the bed rail and tailgate! Add a set of shooting sticks under the floating elbow and you're rock solid!

And, it's completely portable! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
That's why they made cameras!
For those of us to be able to show what we mean instead of describe it. tu2

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of H T
posted Hide Post
SmilerVery good stuff, Gents - much appreciated. I like the wooden frame from Cal Pappas, the one with the dowels so that it's adjustable. And the 2x6 upright for the right hand elbow. That's the part that really helps for a stable sight picture. Then you touch it off and realize why you're only enjoying this in small doses.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheapest, quickest, easiest is the way Holland's do it. A post in the ground that looks like a figure 4.

The shooter STANDING here at X with the slope of the figure 4 being his rest. So x4 if you like.

Leather padding or somesuch is optional. You just lean into the thing and test fire. I recall seeing Holland's at Northwood when I had a gun fitting there some twenty years or so ago.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote