THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .458 cal. Rimmed Double ammo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.458 cal. Rimmed Double ammo
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted
Hi expert Friends:
I dont know if I will sucefully finish my project bewildered, but I will start to make a Double Rifle, The Ellis Brown's book is on way, and Im ready to order the barrel blanks, so, I have to chosee the caliber. Obviusly will be a rimmed cartridge (but not a 45.70 Gov. or smaller)
I decided to chamber a .458 cal. bullet cartridge because reloading components in .400, .416, 470 or 500 are very hard to find over here Mad.
Sorry I dont have a lot or new bibliografy & info, so here is my question: What are the most common .458 cal. rimmed catridges used in doubles that be easy to find reamers, brass and dies?. Where I can find them (brass & reamers)
A last question there are a 416 rimmed cartridge?. Thanks a lot Friends thumb, Regards Guillermo.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,

The classic .458 cartridge is the original, the .450 Nitroexpress that Rigby brought out in the 1890s. You would normally use the 480 grain bullet to regulate the barrels. Brass and dies are readily available from Huntingtons as well as other suppliers. Reamers are likely available from Clymers.

A .416 rimmed cartridge exists. It is fairly new, the .500/.416 from Krieghoff.

Having said that, I can only add that making a double rifle is very complicated, work intensive and difficult. As you must know, it is not just a matter of assembling the various parts.

Best of the Season,
Tim

quote:
Originally posted by Guillermo Amestoy:
Hi expert Friends:
I dont know if I will sucefully finish my project bewildered, but I will start to make a Double Rifle, The Ellis Brown's book is on way, and Im ready to order the barrel blanks, so, I have to chosee the caliber. Obviusly will be a rimmed cartridge (but not a 45.70 Gov. or smaller)
I decided to chamber a .458 cal. bullet cartridge because reloading components in .400, .416, 470 or 500 are very hard to find over here Mad.
Sorry I dont have a lot or new bibliografy & info, so here is my question: What are the most common .458 cal. rimmed catridges used in doubles that be easy to find reamers, brass and dies?. Where I can find them (brass & reamers)
A last question there are a 416 rimmed cartridge?. Thanks a lot Friends thumb, Regards Guillermo.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also, Hornaday has announced that they will load the 450 NE 3 1/4". Brass should be readily available and cheap as a result.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Also, Hornaday has announced that they will load the 450 NE 3 1/4". Brass should be readily available and cheap as a result.

This is also my reccomendation, for the same reasons listed by JPK! I would regulate the new rifle once completed with the Hornady factory ammo as well! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD, Jpk, Tim, Thanks for the info, was a good new for me that Hornady will make 450 N.E. 3 1/4 ammo, and the Huntingston info.
My CZ 550 416 Rigby bring me a lot of headaches regarding to obtain ammo and reloading components (U$240 x 20 rounds ammo box in Argentina) but still there a lot of .458 bullets in the marketplace, so I will buy and store a good quantity.
Soon I will travel to USA (January 15) and I will try to purchase the reamers, brass & dies. If I can start to make the D.R. I will share with all of you the manufacturing process step by step, I hope to dont blow-up my head je,je, Regards Amigos, Any Time Guillermo.

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And the rifles can be built slightly slimmer due to the slow taper of the 450 Rgiby case. This is the ticket. If I were to order another rifle in the future to replace my 470 it would be in this chambering. Nothing below the 500 outperforms, obviously, slimmer rifle and bullets out the wazoo.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo:

I think it's largely a matter what is available where you are.

The .450 3 1/4" would be the logical choice, if you can readily get Hornady products there, and a reamer shouldn't be a problem. If not, .500/.450 NE might be a better choice, as brass can be made from .470, which shouldn't be a problem to get. The reamer might be a headache, but at least you only have to go through that once.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks 400 Nitro Expres!!! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,

www.midwayusa.com has lots to offer.

www.brownells.com does too!

I hope you have a completely successful
project! wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guillermo,
Good to hear of your proyect.
Brown book have very good advises, Theres a DVD also, I will order it soon.
You have a PM.
Martin

Double Rifle Shooters Society member from Argentina.
My doubles:
.577 Snider by W.Richards.
.58" ML by Pedersoli

Posts: 358 | Location: Bahia Blanca - Argentina | Registered: 14 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Another problem with the 500/416 NE from Krieghoff is that it is fairly high pressure for a double round; about 45,000 psi. It's very versatile but a bit stiff for a home-made double from a shotgun.

Best of luck.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote