Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis target
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted
Embarrassing and not impressive at all....but FUN! At 50yds, I used a table as a TERRIBLE REST with my left elbow on it and there was no way to support my right arm near the buttstock. Sooo... This was pretty much rifle familiarization shooting Cool I know I didn't mark right / left barrel shots but 2 closest to center and 2 of the 3 in the 8 ring are nice right / left shots.. 8 rounds on target and another 8 at a 6" steel plate. According to the label, the ammo was 286gr. Nosler Partitions in Norma brass loaded to 2300fps. I'm going to try MY hand loads soon. I'm thinking IMR4064 in Hornady brass with the same Nosler Partitions. As always...Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Frank

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Two inches at 50 is good for Chapuis. Some do better; some do not. So your two inch group might be all it will do, maybe not. Try hand loads. I have used both 4064 (54 grains) and W760 (62). 4064 kicks less but does not reg as well in my Krieghoff.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dcpd. I'm looking forward to experimenting with some handloads and I'm positive a better rest and position will help too. That means MORE TRIGGER TIME !! Never thought of W760. More powder = better load density. Were those loads with 286gr bullets??

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like you are having fun FL

stick with it.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
yes, 286s

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks dpcd. Yes Rhodes I'm REALLY enjoying this rifle Cool

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Frank,
I think you will save yourself some time and money by shooting the gun with the loads it was regulated for. Get a chronograph and us it to assist with load development. The "load and shoot" method common with traditional rifles will often times cause frustration when working with doubles.

Good luck with your new rifle...you have a good one!

R

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good advice but velocity alone is not always the answer. (And I can't find Norma ammo at all these days) It is HOW the bullets gets to that terminal velocity that matters as much or more. Example; I had a 450 NE that would shoot well into 2 inches at 50, with 95 grains of 4831. I thought I would lessen the recoil some, so loaded some RL15 to the same velocity (Note; far less Rl15 is needed to get the same speed). Wow, it would not print anywhere close together. The muzzle flip was not enough to make it regulate. So, DRs are a black art; not a science. Have fun; that is the most important part.

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Got it.... I do have a Chrony and I'm going to try for the 2300fps zone with 268gr bullets. Then my plan will be to tinker with seating depth and such? I'm wanting to try and stay with a powder that will take up most room in the case and give me good load density with hopeful consistency.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
W760 and similar burn rates gives best case capacity. I do not mess with seating depth on DRs; they aren't bolt actions. Powder and charge weights.

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Damn!!! I would never have guessed that one either !!!! I won't even ask why. I'll follow the advice given and report on it. Nosler Partitions are on back order thumbdown

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is just that I have found that all the other factors affecting regulation outweigh seating depth at about a 100 to one ratio. Not saying not to try it. Double rifles operate on muzzle jump and flip, velocity, and hold. And no two follow the same path either. And a lot of dark art. Little science.

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Wooooo haaaa haaaa haaaaa..... I'm liking the darker side of this !!!! sofa

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!