THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Loading a DR from shirt loops.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loading a DR from shirt loops.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted
I prefer to have my shirt un-tucked while hunting. So the shirt drapes over my belt where ammo is usually carried. Would it be practical and have any of you done it, to have cartridge loops sewn onto my shirt at breast pocket level? I am thinking that four loops would be about right. Safari jackets used to be made that way but safari jackets are no longer worn on safaris. The bulk of my spare ammo would be in a belt carrier.

Also, I am left handed and few companies make shooting shirts for lefties and if they do it is rare to find a store that actually stocks left handed shooting shirts.

Before my last trip I bought two ss shirts and two pair of shorts. All four garments went to a taylor before the trip. The sleeves on the shirts came down past the crook of my arm and I prefer to have them cut about an inch or so higher than the elbow. The shorts came with knee length inseams. That is about all you can find now. I had them cut much higher. Not all the way up to PH length, but higher than the knee.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why don't you have a wrist bandoleer made from leather?

Or do as we do for a quick reload here in UK when driven game shooting? Carry two spare rounds between the fingers of your (being left handed) right hand?

Posts: 6818 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Day 50% off sale at SCI Reno by Gander Mtn. I bought one of their sleeveless shirt/jackets with five loops on each side sewn on top of the pockets. The cool thing; they will securely hold either the ,470NE or 9,3x74R rounds. I put it on, zip it up; and away I go with practicing the DR reload.
Option B: in Vietnam we just buckled our pistol belt/stab rig over the top of the fatigue shirt. Worked OK at 130+ degrees in triple canopy jungle. Maybe a web belt about 2-3" wide with one of the slides?

regards,

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those long short sleeves are intentional, and for providing sun protection to the inside of the elbow, etc. I have become accustomed to them over time and now prefer them for high heat shooting, like dove shooting, as well as safari.

I am lefty too.

I had a collection of Lewis Creek safari shirts, they were top notch. But I wore them out one safari or dove shoot at a time. Currently I am using Bob Allen lightweight lefty shirts and they are pretty good, but not the same standard. You can order them over the internet.

I have found that dual buttoned pockets, one right and one left are about as usable as a shirt with the pad on the left. This expands possible shirts. A heavier material would carry the weight and strain of the ammo better than a real lightweight.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muletrain

I do the same as you with Shirts and shorts. Not a fan of "longer" short sleeves on shirts. And as you say, trying to find "short" shorts is nigh impossible.

I also wear shirt out when hunting, and I put a belt with my ammo etc on the outside of the shirt.

Belt loops on shirts work but if the material is not rigid, they can bounced around when trying to run. Just my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Why don't you have a wrist bandoleer made from leather?

Or do as we do for a quick reload here in UK when driven game shooting? Carry two spare rounds between the fingers of your (being left handed) right hand?

Bracelets, wrist watches, neck chains, just sort of ittitate me. Not physically, I just don't like things wrapped around my body parts. There is no way that I could get used to a wrist bandoleer with 470 rounds in it.

The cartridges between the fingers might work out. I will try it next time I go shooting.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
Muletrain

I do the same as you with Shirts and shorts. Not a fan of "longer" short sleeves on shirts. And as you say, trying to find "short" shorts is nigh impossible.

I also wear shirt out when hunting, and I put a belt with my ammo etc on the outside of the shirt.

Belt loops on shirts work but if the material is not rigid, they can bounced around when trying to run. Just my HO.

That may be the answer. I am thinking of buying the next set of shirts a little long and having the tails squared off. Then the ammo belt on the outside would fit better.

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Muletrain:

The cartridges between the fingers might work out. I will try it next time I go shooting.

but that's only good when you have actually found the game, you still have to cover the ground to find it and doing so with 2 cartridges stuck between the fingers isn't conducive to concentrating on the animals.

Personally, I don't use the "cartridges between the fingers" method
- I prefer grabbing them from my belt when needed.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.tilleyendurables.ca...oryId&id=8&productNo

These are what I've been using for over thirty years. They are virtually indestructible, as advertised. Pockets galore,including an internal secret pocket for valuables. They're about one hundred bucks a pair but they are worth every penny !

PS: I note that the link doesn't take you right to the item. Click "Men's Tilleys", then "By Item", then "Shorts", then "AdventureCloth Men's Classic Shorts". Those are the ones to which I refer.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Shorts that are guaranteed for life. Can't beat that. Smiler

Elephant Hunter,
NRA Lifetime Member,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want shorter shorts, you can get them from TAG Safari.

http://www.tagsafari.com/cat/mens-shorts