THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Does anyone take apart their double for cleaning and inspection?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone take apart their double for cleaning and inspection?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Nope.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can, and have on several makes, but I do not recommend it. You will do more harm than good.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to know what kind of double you have and where does it have its guard screw or guard screws? In other words where are the screws that secure the action to the stock.Mine has one long screw that goes through the butt of the stock to the rear box frame of the action.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You get inside the action and Butch's warranty is void.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Oops.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with Parker SxS shotguns since a teenager and ALWAYS remove the forearm and barrels for cleaning and have NEVER needed to take them down any further. The oldest was made in 1900 and is still a shooter.
If one needs further attention, it goes to the appropriate gunsmith.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how much shooting you do and what type of weather you hunt in, modern lubes will last a long time..
In the shotgun bird hunting world of New England where we hunt 30 days a year in all types of weather I will have my gun "stripped and Cleaned" every two years if not more by a Competent Gun Smith.. Action and Fore End. If I am caught out in a heavy rain I will remove the Sidelocks from my gun, dry and re-lube them air out the body of the shotgun and re-assemble. We also have "Rain Guns" if the weather goes south..
Box Locks can be a bit more problematic If you are so inclined to do your own gun smithing find some one to teach you...
Remember...... Gun Smiths make a large part of their living from people who take their guns apart and can't get them back together, lose parts, or just bugers them up in the whole process....

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope

One of Us
posted Hide Post
popcorn

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
And one wonders why the rifle had issues in camp! I think we have an answer!!

Eeker

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That is what I am thinking too.
Most DRs have long through bolts that hold the frame to the stock. I do have one Searcy like yours and I have removed the stock just to inspect the mechanism. But you should not do that. Might be too late....
I tell all my customers that, if their gun is broken, DO NOT TOUCH IT. (I really say, do not F**K with it).
And especially for double rifles, they never need disassembly by the user.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch has offered to take apart any of his guns, clean them and relube at no cost if you send it to him. Hopefully that offer is still valid but check with him before sending it.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Most DRs have long through bolts that hold the frame to the stock. I do have one Searcy like yours and I have removed the stock just to inspect the mechanism. But you should not do that. Might be too late....
I tell all my customers that, if their gun is broken, DO NOT TOUCH IT. (I really say, do not F**K with it).
And especially for double rifles,
they never need disassembly by the user.

...........................................................ABSOLUTELY! Never let just anyone work on a double rifle. Go to a smith that works on doubles regularly, or in SHOOTAWAY's case he needs send it back to Butch if it needs anything! However as someone said above that warning may be too late!
.................... coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd almost rather do my own vasectomy. Almost. Leave it to the folks the do this for a living. In the end, what do you have to gain vs. … ??? Of course, others can turn a screwdriver better than I can. I feel better leaving it to the pros.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the issue that makes you think you want to take it apart?
As a rule most guns will never need to be taken apart further than removal of the barrels & forarm for any cleaning

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kebco:
What is the issue that makes you think you want to take it apart?
As a rule most guns will never need to be taken apart further than removal of the barrels & forarm for any cleaning

I have yet to here of a DR, any DR or rifle that did not have an issue of some kind being subjected to recoil,humid environments,etc...IMO a DR owner should be able to take his rifle apart and verify that all is working properly and that everything is in place,clean and lubricated.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kynoch:
I'd almost rather do my own vasectomy. Almost. Leave it to the folks the do this for a living.

Funny and right on the mark. If you're not a pro, you're going to screw something up.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
have yet to here of a DR, any DR or rifle that did not have an issue of some kind being subjected to recoil,humid environments,etc...IMO a DR owner should be able to take his rifle apart and verify that all is working properly and that everything is in place,clean and lubricated.

Well, you also say anyone owing a vehicle should be able to take it apart to verify all is working properly and that everything is in place,clean and lubricated?
IMO, some jobs are best left to a qualified individual.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
And especially for double rifles,
they never need disassembly by the user.

...........................................................ABSOLUTELY! Never let just anyone work on a double rifle. Go to a smith that works on doubles regularly, or in SHOOTAWAY's case he needs send it back to Butch if it needs anything! However as someone said above that warning may be too late!
.................... coffee

In this case it may not be easy or practical because of export/import laws. However I am sure Butch can recommend someone in Canada.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.If ever I have an issue I will contact Butch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent idea, you will save your self a pile of grief.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, not to fuel a flame, but did you actually take your Double apart before or during your recent trip with Buzz?? I too am legitimately curious as you noted an issue in your report.. And i enjoyed your report George. I'm not a "Shootaway basher"
I've certainly never taken a rifle that far apart. I hunted that same Dande East with a .470 a couple years back and had no issue. I guess honestly i only fired it four times...
Two test shots... One brain shot... And one insurance shot...
A good double rifle is a simple, elegant, and efficient rifle.

Posts: 931 | Location: Music City USA | Registered: 09 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
FIFY!

quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Thanks.If ever I have another issue I will contact Butch.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote