New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hinge Pin Grease
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hinge Pin Grease - what do you use or recommend for lubricating the hinge pin on your double rifle or shotgun? Does it matter? If so, what do you use and where do you get it?

Thanks!

Posts: 1361 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use MilComm TW25B. Best gun grease I've ever found. I think Butch Searcy was sending a tube of it out with his doubles after he tried it.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Vaseline is the approximate some consistency as many specialty "hinge pin greases". Bearing grease is fine, too.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Too much grease can cause wear,IMO.The thinnest film possible-especially in tight tolerance applications.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sta-lube moly graph general purpose grease.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:
Too much grease can cause wear,IMO.The thinnest film possible-especially in tight tolerance applications.

Greasing a hinge pin excessively would not cause wear. Any amount you put will be swept aside once parts are assembled, and grease will remain in the form of a thin film embedded in the surface pores of the metal. The excess grease would catch solid particles and cause gumming though.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tetra gun grease. It's a lot less messy than stuff with graphite and moly.
http://www.tetraproducts.com/product_view.asp?ID=1

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
I use the tube of grease that came with my K gun.

Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Any grease that has :

80 lb. Timken OK Load rating

IE-

StaPlex Red
StaLube Red

etc

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Searcy came with Tetra lube.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brian564:
quote:

Greasing a hinge pin excessively would not cause wear. Any amount you put will be swept aside once parts are assembled, and grease will remain in the form of a thin film embedded in the surface pores of the metal. The excess grease would catch solid particles and cause gumming though.

Grease is like a liquid.It does not compress and if you put to much it will put pressure on all metal parts including the hing pin.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Lube it or loose it! Big Grin

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Milo Shanghai
posted Hide Post
For the last few years I have used Clenzoil hinge pin jelly and it seems to work well.

Posts: 680 | Location: London | Registered: 03 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use automotive synthetic grease...

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Grease is like a liquid.It does not compress and if you put to much it will put pressure on all metal parts including the hing pin.

It will get wiped away as the hinge is worked. There is no place that is going to hold grease to the pressures that would cause damage to the arm.

If ignorance is bliss; there are some blissful sonofaguns around here. We know who you are, so no reason to point yourselves out.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The greases are normally the EP grades like those used for lubing the Hypoid gears on a rear wheel drive car .Those greases are made for high pressure and a wiping action . These are similar to the lubes sold for the early stainless steel guns before they figured out what stainless grades to use .I still have some RIG + P which is made for this.Other similar greases work well too.Put some on the locking wedges too.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Where does white lithium fit into these recommendations? There used to be an English gun maker on one of these forums who said that was best and that he'd never needed to rejoint a gun or rifle that had been lubricated with it, IIRC.

I'm not sure I've even seen the stuff he meant or how he could pin it down as so good.

Posts: 5112 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
I also use MilComm TW25B.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MS Hitman:
quote:
quote:
quote:

It will get wiped away as the hinge is worked. There is no place that is going to hold grease to the pressures that would cause damage to the arm.

you are correct, sir.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair or Blair Worldwide Hunting
http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/3471078051/p/1

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Where does white lithium fit into these recommendations? There used to be an English gun maker on one of these forums who said that was best and that he'd never needed to rejoint a gun or rifle that had been lubricated with it, IIRC.

I'm not sure I've even seen the stuff he meant or how he could pin it down as so good.

Lithium is contained in most EP (extreme pressure ) greases. I use a lithium EP grease from Lubrication Engineers Inc. Was rather expensive at about $30 a tube 25 years ago but have been fastidious in applying a small squirt from a syringe on the hinge pin of my Miroku O/U shotgun over all those years and it is still as tight as the day it was new despite 1000s of rounds of use in clay target competition and hunting.

Posts: 3913 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I use MILITEC-1 grease on the hinge pin!

- Stays in place and lubricates in severe conditions.

- Excellent water wash out resistance.

- Superior shock-load protection

- reduces corrosion wear and galling

................................................................ tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote