THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    North Fork 470 loads, IMR4831?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

North Fork 470 loads, IMR4831?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been shooting Woodleighs in my 470 for many years, 106gr for softs, 104 for solids.
Anyone use IMR 4831 with North Fork solids in a 470? Results?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
This is a similar powder to what we use here in Aus. With 470 North Forks I load 2 Grains less for my rifle .
(Woodleighs with 103grn AR2209 or 93grns with backing as an even better option)

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I use North Fork CPS, and FPS solids in my Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE with 104 grs of H4831. It regulates very well. I have not used the NF softs in the 470 but do use them in my Merkel 140E-1, 9.3X74R . I really like North fork bullets. They simply WORK on game or target.
...................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!
I loaded a half dozen with 104gr IMR4831 yesterday, my usual load for Woodleigh solids. 2209 and 2230 right and left. I backed down to 103, loaded a bunch, will try them today for regulation. Should be at least minute of buffalo.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just in from shooting. My velocities at 103gr IMR4831 are between 2190-2210. Four rounds in about a 2 1/2 inch circle at 50 yards, which is pushing my limit with open sights.

These are the same velocities the regulation load I got from Butch Searcy produces, but they are far more consistant than with Woodleighs. With Woodleighs, the left barrel shoots about 50fps faster than the right. for some reason, not with the North Forks.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
Just in from shooting. My velocities at 103gr IMR4831 are between 2190-2210. Four rounds in about a 2 1/2 inch circle at 50 yards, which is pushing my limit with open sights.

These are the same velocities the regulation load I got from Butch Searcy produces, but they are far more consistant than with Woodleighs. With Woodleighs, the left barrel shoots about 50fps faster than the right. for some reason, not with the North Forks.

Because of the North Fork design they develop far less friction on the bore, and are less effected by one barrel being a tiny bit tighter than the other barrel! The copper material and the very thin pressure rings are the key to the North Fork solids success with good penetration and less pressure on the rifle! In my opinion North forks are the best solid on the market today. There are many others that are good, and almost all are better than the original Bronze MONOLITHIC solids made without pressure rings.
................................................................. coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That makes perfect sense. Thanks for your thoughts, and for all the other knowledge you have shared over the years!