THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Want to bild a Duble Rifle what cal to do ??????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Want to bild a Duble Rifle what cal to do ??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
ok folks I am very seris of having a barrle set made for my CZ Ringneck 28GA... now I know that it is a smaler frame and well I live in Minnesota and dont realy need anything REALY big but what are some thoughts of a medium or small bore cartirg some of you have...

My thoughts were as fallows 30-06 Ackly,.338-06 Ackly, 35 Whelen, 6.5X55 Swed, 260 Rem, 7x57 or 8x57 but he one cartrig configeration that intreages me is the 30/30 Ackly

that is what I have thought but want to here what other people think. I was thinking 25" or 26" barrle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7X57R...I built a single shot in this caliber and love it. Light recoil, good power for it's size and it's a classic.

if you want more punch, a 7X65R would be good. I understand it is equal to a 280 rem.

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
30-40 Krag shooting 220gr load.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One other one that i did not think of would be the 7.62X54R I have 90 pices of reloadibal brass alredy... but then agin I have 4000 pices of 30/30 win brass can have fun fire forming them LOL

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
.303 british.....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who makes rifle barrel sets for CZ Ringnecks?

Posts: 257 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 18 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'd want to stick with the lower-pressure choices in a Ringneck. In fact, the lowest you can find. That action is designed for 12,500 MAP and going to 50,000 or 60,000 psi needs some damn tricky engineering. Maybe stick with the old blackpowder originals like the 38-55 or one of the forties. You don't have to shoot blackpowder, just keep the pressures in that range. You'll probably need to check the heat-treat of the action, too. I'm no expert but there are some here. They posted that while the Merkel rifles use the same receiver as the shotguns, the metal is treated much differently. Excuse me if you already knew all that, or more.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you make a decision, you need to get out and shoot a few different double rifles.

The crew here on AR often get together (all over the states it seems) to shoot their rifles and fraternize.
Join the fun, shoot as many different rifles as you can, and get a wee bit of knowledge/experience base under your caliber choice.

The time will be well spent, you won't regret having done so, *and* you'll make some new friends.

If this is going to be a home-build or a local gunsmith-build, think about sticking to rimmed cartridges.
It'll likely be much easier to get a rimmed cartridge to extract with 100% function than a rimless round...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
1.)30-30
2.) 303
3.) 30-40

Simply because of ammunition availability and pressure in that action.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dose any one know of any duble rifle shoots going to go in in Minnesota ??? or surounding states

One of Us
posted Hide Post
30R Blaser, 8x75R, 9.3x74R are three to consider.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500MagMan:
Dose any one know of any duble rifle shoots going to go in in Minnesota ??? or surounding states

I don't know about in Minn, but we (DRSS) are haveing a hoot & shoot in the Houston, Texas area next Saturday May 2nd at Juliff, Texas, Bayou rifles,Inc gun club 10 am to 2 pm. There will be an assortment of double rifle there for your handleing, and shooting!

On your build I would stick with low pressure rimmed rounds like the 30-30 Win. Ammo is available in any country store, and is a fine little cartridge for the USA. Cheap to shoot, and fine for deer, and black bear.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Take A hard LOOK at the 9,3x74R.

I think it is the beat double rifle calibre under 400.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
7.62X55 would be a good one in a double rifle.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
Correction: 7.62X54.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dose any one know if the 46,600 CUP would be to much for the CZ Ringneck Frame becouse I think I found what I want the 7.62X54R I think this would be a awsome little set up make it with a .308 blanks 1-10" twist I have 90 pices of reloadabale brass for it and a TON of .308 bullets ranging from 130gr to 250gr granted I dont plane on Max loads for this cartirg but still want to be safe...

26" barrels and a nice iron sights with scope mount on it.....

One of Us
Picture of Magnum Wheel Man
posted Hide Post
hey I'm in the same boat... building my 1st double rifle, & also from MN...

I chose the 577 Snider, because it's huge, yet legal, brass is readily available, as are dies ( Lee dies around $75.00 ) low enough pressure to be shootable, & safe for a good shotgun action... yet big enough to have some knockdown power...check out my thread in this section...

Posts: 51 | Location: southern Minnesota | Registered: 23 September 2008Reply With Quote