THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    .470 Load Data Needed: 460 Grain CEB Safari Raptors/Non-Cons (Updated: Range Report)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.470 Load Data Needed: 460 Grain CEB Safari Raptors/Non-Cons (Updated: Range Report)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Any one have a good load for the 460 grain CEB Safari Raptors? I was planning to just try my normal load of 87 or 88 grains of RL15/N203B but thought I would check with folks to see if someone has come up with a viz bang load for these bullets. Thanks in advance.

Mike

Posts: 21380 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
No one . . . all these double rifle shooters and no one has played with the .474 Raptors/Non-Cons?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I have a couple of boxes sitting on my bench, but have been swamped at the office all spring/summer and still haven't gotten around to playing with the non-cons.

For what it's worth (and not really what you asked), I've heard 104 grains of IMR4831 out of a Searcy with the non-cons.

But try pm'ing pagosawingnut - he may have some info.

Wish I could be of more help.

Posts: 661 | Location: Below sea level. | Registered: 21 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
I wish I could help but in my .470, I use the regulation load that Butch gave me for the rifle and used both the 500 gr and the NonCon with the same load. 106 gr of IMR4831. They shoot well but that is what the rifle was regulated for. As I recall, the 500 gr solid was running 2253 and the NonCon was running 2293 at 106 gr. at 104 gr of IMR4831, the 500 gr solid was 2251 or thereabouts and the Non Con had slowed all the way down to 2273. But I really didn't spend much time with them.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Mike I have a load for them that was shooting good in my Heym. I will look it up for you tonight. Just a bit of warning though I was shooting them real fast to get them to regulate though. From memory I think I was pushing them at 2350-2400 or so.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents.

Pagosa, so you are shooting the .474 460 grain Non-Cons with 106 grains of IMR4831? That is exactly the sort of information I am looking for.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike I would have told you 106 grs of IMR4831 but I thought you just wanted RL-15 loads. The 106 gr load shot so well I never tried much else.

Sam

Posts: 2832 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam. I am game to try anything . . . at least once.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Yes,sir I am. And I did Chrono them along with the other brands of bullets that Butch mentioned. The Hornady, Barnes and the Woodleighs. The CEB's shot into the middle of the barrel groupings just like it was supposed to. As I said, I didn't spend much time with them as it was but the NonCon load needs to be experimented with a little. It didn't shoot quite as tight as the solid, certainly shot well enough for buffalo and elephant but it could be made to shoot more accurate. If you want to talk, PM me and I will give you my phone number.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The non con being lighter may need a couple more grains of powder to bring them together.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With regard to a RL 15 load. I did quite a bit of experimenting in my Heym 470 with this powder and 500 gr pills. 91.5 grs yielded about 2170 & 92 grs was about spot on @ 2200.
I have noted velocities all over the map with this powder and rifles. Some achieve the velocities I stated with 3 grains less powder.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks folks. Mac, what load were you using?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Sorry Mike had not made it close to my reloading room until now. So on the 460 Non-Con I was using 93.0 RL 15 at 2360 fps. 500 Solids I was also using 93.0 RL 15 at 2250 fps. 24" barrles and were shooting just under 2" groups at 50 with the non-con and closer to 2.5" groups on the 500 Solids.

Mac

Posts: 1731 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mac.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Took two loads to the range this morning. Only difference in the loads was the powder charge, both were loaded with 460 grain CEB Safari Raptors with the polymer tip, F215M primers, and a Kynoch wad. Powder charges were 91 grains of RL15 and 93 grains of RL15. All rounds were fired at 50 yards. Rifle was my VC .470 with 26" barrels.

Started with the 91 grain load. Average velocity was 2084 fps. Very pleasant to shoot, but a little open on the spread.

Then moved on to the 93 grain loads. Average velocity was 2136 fps. Group tightened up. I think I could clearly go up another couple of grains at least but this load would certainly be useable.

Illustrates the lot-to-lot variation in RL15 to me. Others are getting another 100 fps with shorter barrels. Mac lives in SLC, so elevation may be a factor too. I will say this, the .470 rounds loaded with the CEB Safari Raptors with the black polymer tips just look damn cool.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Looks like they are shooting well for you Mike.

And yes, they do look cool. A bit like a Saturn 5 Rocket!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep you are close with the load you have but you might try one to two more grains to see if it will come together. Remember your 460 gr is 40 grs lighter than the normal 500 gr bullet. Less weight less pressure with the same loads you use with the 500 gr bullet.

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Sam. Yes, I intend to bump it up a grain and try again. I will also alter my hold from spot on to 6 o'clock and see where the point of impact is.

Another question, the polymer tips certainly improve aerodynamics, but do they also accelerate expansion on impact?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Try to use a smaller aiming point to be sure you are holding on the same spot. I cut one of the shoot and see 5 1/2 inch targets into 4 pieces. I put radius at top and then when aiming I slowly lower the sight until I can see the sharp point. This gives me a good accurate way to aim with irons and old eyes. Peep sight helps even more.

As for the tips you will need to ask Michael about speeding or slowing the way the bullet expands. All I know is the tip keeps velocity up and they kill much better than non tipped.

Sam

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Bumped the load to 94 grains of RL15 and got an average velocity of 2164 fps. Group seemed to be comparable to the 93 grain load, maybe marginally tighter, but since the shooting was all off of sticks at 50 yards it is sort of tough to make definitive conclusions regarding the relative size of the groups. I am inclined to just leave the load alone at 94 grains.

I should add this really highlights one of the issues with using RL15 and the need to start low and work up. A load that is very close measure wise, with two different lots of RL15, is producing very different velocities. With each rifle being different and each lot of RL15 being a little different, better safe than sorry.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I'm using 108 gr of IMR 4831 with my Chapius w/500 solids. I think 107gr with the non-cons.... I am we'll pleased with this load. I have forgotten all details, but with check my notes and get them to you.

Skip Nantz

Posts: 539 | Location: SouthEast, KY | Registered: 09 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I followed Sam's advice several months ago and loaded the solids and non-cons at Butch's regulation load of 106gr of IMR4831. Both bullets shot inside 2" at 50yds. I didn't chronograph them, I just loaded more rounds.

Posts: 889 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote