New
Find
Notify
Tools

Red Dot Sight in the field
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was down at the deer lease last weekend hunting turkeys and pigs.
I was using my Blaser R 93 in 308 with the Tracker bbl with the Zeiss Z Point sight.

It is a compact Red dot sight.

No luck on turkey or pigs, but I did stalk a few cows and jump a few deer.

Shooting at the range is one thing but "aiming" on real animals is another.

Now the red dot is not a replacement for a scope but a replacement for iron sights.

I found that the Red dot worked very well, especially with both eyes open.

It was much faster and I felt much more confident of my shot when the distances reached beyone 50 yards. Even out to 200 I felt my aim would be spot on.

In low light at very close range the red dot was far superior to irons, much less at 50 yards or farther.

The Zeiss automatically adjusts the brightness of the dot for the light conditions, and you can adjust it up or down to suit you as well.

For anyone who has trouble seeing iron sights I suggest you take a look at the Ziess Z Point or the Doctor Optik.

On a DG double or bolt, hard kicker they are worth checking out.

I also have an early EO-Tec that I am going to mount on my Blaser D 99 Duo, and will continue my tests.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
Yes, the red dot style sights are great replacements for open sights.

You should also check out the Trijicon Reflex - which has the big advantage of being designed for the military (therefore is rugged) and does not need batteries or on/off switches.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use one on my 308 bushmaster.It is great I use the 2X aim point. With a 1x I can set the dot to sit just on the top of the front blade.
And get a purfect sight pic though the peep.
You could with a little work get it to sit just the same on a set of express sights. Sight in the red dot then add enought height to front blade to sit the dot in front of the bead or on top of the blade. Them adjust the height of the rear sight. You would have the red dot and back up irons ready to go. Mount the red dot as low as you can. I thought about asking about the red dot sights on a double ,but as a new guy here
it would have been safer faceing a chargeing bull with a 45-70 with black powder loads.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with N E 450 No2 and BwanaBob about the advantages with a redpoint but beeing of Swedish origin I must lay my vote on the all new Aimpoint Micro!!

Don´t know when they are released but it must be sometime soon!
I tried one at my gundealers the other day and it is the smallest redpoint sight I have ever seen!
It was mounted on a drilling in a weavermount and man it was a low mount!
Will be perfect on my double but will work fine on any firearm.
You can mount it directly to a Weavermount and if it has the same quality as the other sights from Aimpoint, well then it is second to none!

And it seems as much more compact and Heavy Duty than for exampel Docter sights. To me that is!! Wink

I´m thinking about getting one as a backup for my double!

You´ll find more info here: http://www.aimpoint.com/o.o.i.s?id=47&prev_id=47&product_id=364

Regards

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimbo

3 ounces????? That is light! Their T1 model also looks like a possibility-just a little more rugged, but still weighing in at 3 ounces.

Just wondering if they are planning to offer them in other than a 4 MOA dot.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i use a 30mm millet reddot on my ruger #1 .458.... other than the fact that the dot is too big... it covers a deer at 100 yds, its great on close range stuff... hogs at 25yds....it has been handling the recoil nicely...over 60 rounds and no change in shot placement....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just wondering if they are planning to offer them in other than a 4 MOA dot.

Jim Manion!

Yeahh!! It is light for sure! But it feels rocksolid and I have the greatest confidence in Aimpoint´s quality!

And the 4MOA dot might be the only flaw but it will work just fine. I´ve used another model in the Aimpoint range with 4MOA and I had no problems with placing my shots!

It´s like always: Practice, practice and then some!!
Wink

Jim

PROUD MEMBER OF DRSS!!

Posts: 95 | Location: Sweden, Europe | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Admittedly it is a cheap piece of gadgetry, but I have had a walmart special BSA red dot scope on my 10/22 for a couple of years now and as my brother can attest, it is truely a great little scope. I use it on squirrels, turtles and everything else that a .22 will takedown, it is great for picking up those fuzzy-tailed little running bastards in the trees. I plan to fit my 9.3 with one of the Trijicon reflex sights rather than a set of irons (Don't yell a well know PH suggested it).
I have also found that shooting a red dot with both eyes open makes a big difference. My hit percentage went up quite a bit when I started opening both eyes. I have even been known to hit with the red dot when the battery died and I was in a pinch for a shot on a squirrel. I had a pretty fair idea where the dot was supposed to be and bang, flop, end of story.

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I use it on squirrels, turtles and everything else that a .22 will takedown

Turtles? Bet those little bastards are hell to track! Wink And the risk of a full blown charge...gives me shivers...Great, now I'm gonna have nightmares!

"Turtles in the Long Grass"...

Brian - I'm just pulling your leg. I have seen some alligator snapping turtles in action before. They have no sense of humor.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
Actually Jim, they are pretty damn easy to track, well, easy if you have been doing it for 25 years anyways. Big Grin

You just have to watch and make sure they don't double back on their tracks and try to get you from the back or side.
dancing

Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brian,

With your experience, I take it that you avoid the younger herd turtles and focus on the older lone turtles with the heavy worn bosses. Besides, wouldn't want to start a stampede!

Jim

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member