THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Advice needed for double/combo rifle/shotgun for me and wife
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice needed for double/combo rifle/shotgun for me and wife
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JohnCrighton
posted
OK, I live here in Florida and would like a nice "do-it-all" rifle for the wife and me. Something along the lines of a 7x57 Mauser/.308/.30-06 for the rifle end of things, and a 12ga shotgun for the shotgun end of things - this way we can hunt all manner of game if we come across it.

Any lower-priced suggestions for us? Would like it to be able to be scope-mountable as well.

Would the Baikal/IZH-94 style be ok? Seems to be a very good price. Or should I look for something else a little more pricey?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________
Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorius triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat. - Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 555 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 09 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me Valmet makes or made just what you're looking for.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnCrighton:
OK, I live here in Florida and would like a nice "do-it-all" rifle for the wife and me. Something along the lines of a 7x57 Mauser/.308/.30-06 for the rifle end of things, and a 12ga shotgun for the shotgun end of things - this way we can hunt all manner of game if we come across it.

PM sent from Gainesville

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John

I love hunting with combination guns. My wifes favorite hunting gun for Texas use, and anywhere else that feathered game and furred game is in season at the same time is her Sauer Drilling in 12x12x30-06. She used it to mgreat effect even in Zimbabwe.

The sad thing is that cheap combination guns are usually junk, and not rewarding to hunt with.

I can recommend a Sauer Drilling, with a scope in a claw moumt, my wife and I both have one, and the Blaser D 99 Duo's [2 rifle barrels and a 20ga shotgun bbl] as excellent hunting guns.

Depending on whether you want 2 rifle barrels or 2 shotgun barrels on your combo gun.

If you just need one shotgun barrel and one rifle barrel, take a look at the blaser BBF 97.

These choices might be a little more than you wanted to spend, but they will more than make up for it in their quality, and in the amoumt you will use them.

My wife would rather hunt with her drilling than any other gun she has avialable to her.

The Sauer's handle like a fine quail gun.

I use mine for most all of my shotgun hunting even if I do not plan on using the 30-06 bbl.

The sole exception would be a dedicated goose hunt.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone have a price point on the Blaser D99 drilling in 9.3 X 74 over two 20 gauge barrels?
How about the Sauer Drillings in the same combo? Thanks

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Larry contact Aleko at Heritage Arms about the Blaser D 99 Duo's. 801-562-2486.

He is great to deal with.

I REALLY like my D 99's.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
Also check out Bob Jones for drillings. He is a good guy to deal with.

http://www.bobjonesguns.com/details.asp?id=4348D

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Hendershot's Sporting Goods web site under used guns. They have a Valmet with three sets of barrels for $3K that would be a lot of fun and might give you what you want.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
John I'd step it up to Brno combos either ZH or 500 models. Usually they come with 7x57R or 7x65R with 16 or 12 ga combo - robust, very accurate and some way above IZH grade. Next step up would be Italians, then Germans and at the end Ferlach custom (you could find a good second hand rather cheap/value here in EU). Just my 2c.

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote