New
Find
Notify
Tools

375HH in Double Rifles??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I made a verbal commitment to purchase subject rifle which means I bought it. Have read and re read many opinions on doubles in this caliber and most are opposed to them. I have no plans on hunting dangerous game in Africa, but rather the most dangerous would be WV black bear(we have lots and lots of them these days!) Have some experience with the caliber and currently shoot a Ruger RSM/375HH and understand one would not want to load the double as stout as a bolt gun;however, with mild loads are the extractors constantly failing to eject the brass?? I have no desire to scope the rifle but have heard that doing so tends to create problems with the regulation of the gun?? Is this due to the added weight/pressure by the mount system?? Just curious about that point.
Again, I bought the rifle and appreciate any feedback negative or positive about my choice and my application of the gun.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 is one of the greatest all around calibers ever. From deer to elephant it does the job, no question. Are you talking about the belted or flanged version? Westley has made a bunch of belted guns in the past few years with no problems with extraction. The flanged is better because it will always extract with the rim. I gues it depends on who made the rifle.
JZ

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Should have been more explicit, it is belted or what I call std. 375HH chambering and it is a Chapuis double and from all I can read and hear they are of sound design and overall quality. Since I am "long in the tooth..." will most likely be my last gun purchase and look forward to just shooting it at targets or whatever. Appreciate your feedback.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I had a 375 H&H Heym 88b. I really liked the rifle and took it to Africa. It shot good ,looked good and felt good in the hands. I never had a single problem with the ejectors. It had a switch on the ejectors where you could turn them off if you wished an extractor gun. I usually turned them off when plinking and on when hunting. Never failed either position. Would buy it back in a heartbeat.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD, don't worry about the buy. First, the Chapuis is a sound and well-made double. Secondly, just about every double rifle manufacturer offers the 375 H&H (not flanged) in their product line. As mentioned above, I had a Heym in 375 H&H, and never had a hick-up regarding feeding or extracting/ejecting. The strong taper of the 375 reduces the possibility of sticking, compared to the large, straight wall NE calibers. Good luck with it!

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would not have a second thought about buying it, period.
JZ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I concur with the above. The only thought I would have is that the 375H&H is a very accurate long range cartridge, and so you may be giving up one of it's chief virtues.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, very much appreciate the responses. Any firearm that approaches half the price of a good Harley Davidson is considered expensive to me and just needed reassurance. Have scheduled to attend some regional gunshows next few weeks and "top off" the cookie jar.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel DR in .375 H&H. It has never failed under any condition.

Eagle One

DRSS (.450 NE, .375 H&H, .45-70)
NRA Benefactor
SCI Life Member
SASS Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 80 | Location: Colo Spgs, CO & Sterkrivier, RSA | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the differences with a 375 H&H double is that you will most likely have to push the cases [because of the belt] all the way toward the chambers, till the belt jumps the extractors, before you close the gun. Usually gravity alone will not let the belted case go all the way flush with the extractors like a rimmed case.

And you are correct I would load a H&H double lighter than I would a bolt gun.

As long as my 300 gr bullets were above 2150fps I would not worry about killing power.

Ie develop loads baised on regulation, and accuracy vs some exact fps.

Also I would definately consider scoping your 375 H&H double. Chapuis pivot mounts have worked great on my 9,3 Chapuis. I assume your Chapuis has the 2 removeable rib sections...

If not, then have JJ Perodeau install claw mounts.

Anything I could do with a scoped bolt rifle in 375 H&H I could do with a scoped 375 H&H double.

I have done a lot of hunting with a scoped 9,3x74R, which as far as I have been able to tell is as effective in the field as a 375 H&H [I have taken giraffe, cape buff and elephant with it]. It is one of my most favorite, most useful, rifles/calibres.
A 375 H&H double will be the same, with the added advantage of the avialibility of finding 375 H&H ammo most everywhere.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also I have a buddies Chapuis 375 H&H double, that I am going to be developing loads for.

I have always wanted to spend some time with a 375 H&H double.

I am going to develop 300gr Softs and solids as well as pig hunting loads.

So in a few weeks I will have some info and thoughts on a 375 H&H double baised on a bunch of shooting.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
had a 375 H&H Heym 88b. I really liked the rifle and took it to Africa. It shot good ,looked good and felt good in the hands. I never had a single problem with the ejectors. It had a switch on the ejectors where you could turn them off if you wished an extractor gun. I usually turned them off when plinking and on when hunting. Never failed either position. Would buy it back in a heartbeat.

I had some months exactly the same gun from an friend of my, as he was in Afghanistan.
I took it to the range and to hunt and to the safe.
Great gun, great Heym, great caliber (no problem).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Current owner of rifle has had it for sometime now and has worked up loads for it. Have no idea what they are at this time, but owner is experienced, tells me it shoots very well with the loads. I look forward to seeing your load development as well. Have read that the two chambers may well be different on a double rifle. Would not think difference would be very great in variance with a quality produced gun?? Not keen on loading for one barrel vs the other one, but can do if required. Curious if both barrels on doubles are both twisted same direction, right/left?? Would think most owuld be twisted right hand? You guys have got my blood pressure up about getting the rifle and may have to break into my Harley Davidson funds and get on with it. Appreciate the feedback.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Chapuis in 375 H&H - GREAT choice.

My advice is to get both - here is my Verney-Carron 375 Flanged Magnum and Harley-Davidson Fat Bob.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice "scooter" you got there, also nice double as well. I've got a 1916 U.S.Property Calvary full flap leather scabbard and considering strapping to forks to carry the Chapuis then I can enjoy both at the same time!!

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Why would anyone buy a Harley when for that kind of money he could buy a real road bike like a Triumph or BMW.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Have had them both, in fact have had just about every one. Came back to a Harley.

Posts: 3464 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Doc:

I wanted to ask you a question. I think I read on a previous post that you indicated that your flanged .375 double regulated at something at or over 2500 fps. Is that correct? I thought that most flanged .375s with 24-26 inch barrels regulated somewhere closer to 2400 fps. What is the barrel length on your gun? Did it just come from VC that way or did you ask them for a specific regulation speed. What ammo did they regulate your gun with? Just curious.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Dave,

Happy Thanksgivingst to you and yours.

It was regulated with Kynoch ammo - 300grains which, according to Kynoch is supposed to be going at 2,425fps from a 28" barrel.

Here is the factory target

My V-C 375 Flanged Magnum Nitro Express has 26" barrels and when I was working up laods for it, I used 235g Barnes TSX, 250g Barnes TTSX, 275g CEB #13Non-Cons and 300g CEB #13 solids.

I also had fun with the Norma PH factory ammo using 350grain softs and solids. Too expensive to use but I like nickel plated brass and you can't buy it separately.

I usually load 5 rounds of each bullet at 5 different powder weights and have at it.

As I have found with all 4 of the Verney-Carron doubles I have owned, the 375Fl digested everything with aplomb.

Here are the first 4 shots I took with my handloads:

Subsequent efforts only got better but I don't know here the targets are to photo and post.

What I have found with the CEB #13 solids is that they run faster than Woodleighs with equivalent powder weights but shoot to the same point of aim out of all of my V-C doubles. In addition, I have found that these doubles are very forgiving with a variety of bullets. Perhaps I have been extremely lucky but if so, I am extremely happy about it. I probably could play with various powders and charges to tighten up the R-L grouping and do my load work-up off of a rest (I do virtually all of my shooting off hand) but that will have to wait until I have some more time and can join a local range rather than the 2 hour drive each way to our Upstate property.

As others have found, the CEB#13 solid and Non-Con regulate extremely well and to the exact same point of aim out as far as I can shoot. Uusing the same powder and load, the 300g solid runs at 2,500fps while the lighter Non-Con is slower. Interesting stuff ...

Yeah, faster than the Woodleigh-loaded Kynoch with which it was regulated but I won't complain about the results. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Thanks Doc! I am about to try some 280 grain BBW#13 solids in my 9.3X74R.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
So far I've not been disappointed with any CEB bullet I've tried in any caliber.

I suspect you'll be happy too.

Good luck with them.

Now, back to Christmas decorating for me! PSEG loves me this time if year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Have had them both, in fact have had just about every one. Came back to a Harley.

So did i, sure glad i had NOT sold the old Gold Wing yet... The near new Harley got sent down the road and the old GW is still here! lol

Of course, like with my guns, i'm not going for "image", i'm going for low maintance and what's most reliable that actually WORKS best!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:

So did i, sure glad i had NOT sold the old Gold Wing yet... The near new Harley got sent down the road and the old GW is still here! lol

Of course, like with my guns, i'm not going for "image", i'm going for low maintance and what's most reliable that actually WORKS best!

DM

Keep the WingSmiler
5 years I flew to Kentucky to pick up a new Wing. Packed the bags and headed north. 7 days and 4,500 miles later I was home in Alaska. Sold the Wing 4 years later and it never needed one adjustment during the entire time I owned it. Best solo ride of my life and one of the most enjoyable things I ever accomplished.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just traded one of my HDs for a BMW GS and a chopper that needs some TLC. Awesome ride, with a solid frame, 300 rear tire, 113 S&S with show polish, and a Baker 6 speed with open primary. Just what every almost-60 rider needs!!! :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:

DM

That's excellent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
quote:

DM

Keep the WingSmiler
5 years I flew to Kentucky to pick up a new Wing. Packed the bags and headed north. 7 days and 4,500 miles later I was home in Alaska. Sold the Wing 4 years later and it never needed one adjustment during the entire time I owned it. Best solo ride of my life and one of the most enjoyable things I ever accomplished.

I've taken two big trips with my GW, first was 12,300 miles. The second was 14,999 miles, both started out from Alaska.

Other than a tune up, tire and gas/oil, my only repair was a broken speedo cable, and i happened onto a Honda shop about 4 miles down the road. I stopped in, bought the cable, and installed it myself. That's it! NO oil leaks or other repairs of any kind...

Quiet, smooth and get's the job done!

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got an '03 GW. A sweet ride it is. No maintanence issues whatsoever.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have been using K1200 for last 6 years 75000 miles and only required maintenance and new tires and a battery

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
74,000 miles on my 2002 K1200LT. No issues.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I will never own another double with a rimless or belted case, the extratorss or ejectors will sooner or later overide them and the gun is out of commission and almost impossible to repair in the field....I also am uncomfortable with a double that might take a round that may be 55000 PSA and as much as 65000 PSI. Too many of those guns have been shot off face and I believe that is why some companies discontinued them.

I would however opt for the lovely 375 Flanged, its a super caliber.

I love the double but only in rimmed persuasion..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41968 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote