New
Find
Notify
Tools

.360 2 1/4 ex help needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have an Army Navy DR, in 360 2 1/4 EX. Bore mic Ø.378 and I cannot get a case in the chamber with a Ø.380 bullet loaded into it. Can you fellows assist me with the proper loading method? Thanks, moodyholler

Posts: 107 | Location: Blue Ridge, Va | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firstly, which version of the 360 do you have ?

Purdey, William Evans or one of the others ?

Have you tried a .366 bullet in the case
and then chambering it ?

Does it have a tight neck but a large bore ?

Two other things to check, Brass case length and neck thickness.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Left barrel reads ".360 solid taper case"
Right barrel reads, "50 gr's C & H #6 Eleys 190 Gr paper patch express bullet."

Bore slugs .378 cases are Norma 9.3 x 72 cut to 2.250", case thickness at mouth .007"/side.

Thanks, moodyholler

Posts: 107 | Location: Blue Ridge, Va | Registered: 10 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you try any of the other things I mentioned ?

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you sure the measurements you gave are correct ?

I think you are trying to stuff too big a bullet down a smaller bore.

ie Bore is .378, you are trying to stuff a .380 bullet in there, plus case thickness, and any other factors could stop it.

For a start
Try LOADING INTO A CASE a .360 or a .366 (OR EVEN A 358 bullet as these are readily available) bullet and see what happens.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Trying to find some .366 bullets now. Thanks, moodyholler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.358 falls right through. mh

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Some of the old British rifles were funny with the bore sizes Check and see if the same bore size at the breech- mid- length and muzzle. Have you done a chamber cast? Are the cases fire formed?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Some of the old British rifles were funny with the bore sizes Check and see if the same bore size at the breech- mid- length and muzzle. Have you done a chamber cast? Are the cases fire formed?

Dead right.

The 360 was one of the worst, apart from a minimum 3 different cartridges all with different bore sizes and cases, you then have variations within. My 360 has a bore size of .358 !!!

Re bullet sizes - I wasn't just saying try them in the bore, I was saying load them in a case and try chanbering. It's a process of elimnation. ie if a .360 bullet will chamber in a case but a .366 won't, then it cuts out a couple of issues.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK, some progress made last week. Got some 190 grain bullets sized Ø.367, and loaded them with 20 grains of 4198, and shot it at 50 yards. Left barrel printed nice round ground dead on and right barrel printed nice round group about 6" high. Both roups around 1.5" across. Is this normal? These groups were fired alternating barrels, r,l,r, l, etc. I held the forearm with my left hand and rested back of my hand on rifle rest. Can anyone help? Later, moodyholler

one of us
posted Hide Post
moody Yo0ur rifle mis proofed and regulated with black powder loads.

You are on the right track. I would work up slowly to 23 gr of 4198 and see how she shoots.

23 gr of 4198 should give you @ 1650fps or so with a 190gr bullet.

Watch for pressure signs.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote