THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Cast Bullet Info. For .500 Nitro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullet Info. For .500 Nitro
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am waiting for my Searcy .500 to be built and have started setting up to load for it.I would like to use cast bullets for practice loads and would like to know where to start.What molds have you used and what type of powder have you got the best results with?

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Kestrel:
For cast bullets, the 75% rule. Use a cast bullet of about 430 grains and a full charge of powder. Low recoil but leading most likely. Or, full bullet weight and 75% of the powder charge. Low velocity, low recoil, less leading.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my "fun" load: 38 grains XMP5744 behind a 525 grain cast bullet. It regulates both in my Rigby and Merkel. Have shot lots of rabbits with it. No guarantees what it will do in your though.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge Jerry, that is the load I use, and also the one I give to my customers for reduced loads. Works well on hogs also. The reduce load is included with the purchaser info I send with the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Butch,it is highly likely then that my information also originated from you. I picked it up here from somebody on AR 5-6 years ago and have used it since. Played with it up/down several grains each way, but your 38 grain works the best in my two rifles. Sure appreciate your willingness to help all of us. Any suggestions for the XMP5744 powder in .450NE?

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
kestrel

As I recall Sam and I did some cast bullet loads in our work with 500 Nitro.

Might want to look through this thread too.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...61026071&f=760101804

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kestrel,

I use the Huntington Reloading Supply 550-grain Cast-GC bullet with 40-grains of XMP5744 powder and it regulates great at 50 yards in the Merkel .500 NE.

Regards,
Leon

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When using XMP5744 do you need a filler of some sort.I would like to stay away from wads fillers if possible.

Posts: 45 | Location: saskatchewan,canada | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Never use any filler of any kind with 5744!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just tried 40 grains of 5744 behind a 350 grain cast bullet. Regulated perfectly and was like shooting a 22. No filler used and had no sign of hangfires. Worked pretty good.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would IMR SR 4759 be another option I have a fair bit of it on hand?