THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    30 Caliber Double Cartridge...Wich would you pick
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30 Caliber Double Cartridge...Wich would you pick
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I was thinking about what would make a good cartridge in a medium bore double and thought about something in 30 caliber. I looked at a few and they don't churn up much energy...think 30-30. I saw some cartridges that looked more appealing performance wise and was wondering if anyone had thought of a 30-06 rimmed or 300WM rimmed equivalent cartridges? I eliminated a 303 as the bullet diameter is not something I want to mess with as I have a few 30 caliber rifles. Do rimmed .308 diameter bullet/cartridges exist or do you wildcat them from some other rimmed cartridges?

Cheers,

AKMATT

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did not see the flanged 30 post. Tunnel vision!

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
30-40 Krag, would get my vote. With 220gr bullets, it will kill anything in NA.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I would say this question is the one Blaser was thinking of when they developed th .30 Blaser.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
300 flanged. I'm looking for one as I write.
Cheers, Matt.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Cal on this one. The .300H&H Flanged would be awesome. I think Butch Searcy will make one for you; he's made some in the past as I recall. The 220gr bullets would be the ultimate in this caliber.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
327 Federal..........

I have a cartridge I designed that is called "The 30 Something"......

307 Winchester Brass
300Savage die shortened 0.10"

This is a rimmed case that uses very strong 307 Winchester brass. I shoot it in a TC Contender at VERY impressive velocities with 150G bullets.

Deer drop like the hammer of Thor hit them!

Chamber is cut by simply using a 300 Savage reamer and going in 0.10" short and cutting the recess for the rim with a boring bar. Easy peasy!

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was thinking about what would make a good cartridge in a medium bore double and thought about something in 30 caliber.

.348 WCF or .348 WCF Ackley Improved

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37886 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
30R Blaser. It's a rimmed .30/06 on Steroids.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RoyB:
327 Federal..........

I have a cartridge I designed that is called "The 30 Something"......

307 Winchester Brass
300Savage die shortened 0.10"

This is a rimmed case that uses very strong 307 Winchester brass. I shoot it in a TC Contender at VERY impressive velocities with 150G bullets.

Chamber is cut by simply using a 300 Savage reamer and going in 0.10" short and cutting the recess for the rim with a boring bar. Easy peasy!
Looks like a nice cartridge. Just out of curiosity, why didn't you simply chamber for the 307 Win?

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
318 Westley Richards?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Dane:
318 Westley Richards?

He might a well stick with the 30.06
as it is essentially the same cartridge.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
318 Westley Richards?

Agree 100% tu2

Though I am the new caretaker (since the Vegas show in January) of a very nice W.R. .318 Droplock ejector double Cool. However, in this day and age I see no reason to have a modern double made based upon this calibre as wonderful as it is.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What year was your Drop lock made ?
I have a WR DL in 400/360.

I love the 318WR, I have 3 of them but when it boils down to it, it does nothing the 30.06 can't do with in reality only 2 - 4 bullet weights available whereas the .308 has heaps of different bullets.

The only thing missing with the '06 is the nostalgia !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Agreed Nigel, PM sent.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have handled a beautifull Ferlach .300 H&H (non flanged) double rifle recently. With the good luck I've had with rimmless cartrages in my break action guns I'd be perfectly happy with that especially considering the availbility of brass.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there was a choice between a 30 flanged and a 30R Blaser, which would you pick and why?

AKMatt

One of Us
posted Hide Post
7.62x54R Lots of cheap surplus plinking ammo, softpoints up to 203gr from various manufacturers and quality match grade ammo from Lapua, S&B and Norma readily available.

Ballistics Tables 7.62x54R

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
318 Westley Richards?

Execpt the 30-06 is 308 and sling a max of @220gr boolits whereas the 318 is .330 and maxes out at 260gr. And with limited pressure projectile weight is of essence, not?

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
318 Westley Richards?

Execpt the 30-06 is 308 and sling a max of @220gr boolits whereas the 318 is .330 and maxes out at 260gr. And with limited pressure projectile weight is of essence, not?

Dont go spoiling a perfectly good thread with too many facts.

"Dont go spoiling a perfectly good thread with too many facts."
"And with limited pressure projectile weight is of essence, not?"
YES to 2nd sentance, but at least get the facts right if you want to argue a point !!! LOL

Talking premium game bullets
Woodleigh (and others) make heavy .308 bullets, ie 240gn RN
The Woodleigh 318WR is 250gn.

Stuff all difference IMHO having seen the effect on big game
up to Big Bull Buffalo size.

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Matt:
The .30 Flanged has been there and done that. It has class, character, and history. AND it was developed by the world's finest gun maker.

The .30 Blaser is nothing more than a wannabe or a poser (terms I learned from my students). It is just like every other modern piece of crap that someone with a misguided notion feels they can reinvent the wheel. Look at all the .450 class of cartridges--is there any that will do what the .450 NE will not? And, most of the new rifles are CNC machine made, stainless, fluted, plastic, pieces of no workmanship. The nicer rifles today are just copies of the old timers. And that is why the newest gun or rifle in my safe was made in 1920.

I hope I didn't piss off too many of you nice folks out there. Remember, it is just an opinion before some of you carve a Cal Pappas figurine out of soap and watch it dissolve in a stream of steaming tap water while pins are being stuck in it!

Cheers and lol to you, Matt.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
why didn't you simply chamber for the 307 Win

Because the 307 develops too much back thrust for the Contender frame. I was concerned that down the road someone might try firing a factory load and hurt himself or someone nearby.

Plus I like the "Semi Ackley" shoulder of the 300 Savage. But the 300 Savage is a rimless case and the TC as hunting firearm prefers a rimmed case (at least I prefer it!)

Lastly, It's hoot to design your own cartridge and go shoot something with it. I shot a nice black bear in Maine, right between the eyes, at 83 yards with this handgun. The best shot I ever made on a game animal........

Posts: 260 | Location: Dartmouth, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Matt:
The .30 Flanged has been there and done that. It has class, character, and history. AND it was developed by the world's finest gun maker.

The .30 Blaser is nothing more than a wannabe or a poser (terms I learned from my students). It is just like every other modern piece of crap that someone with a misguided notion feels they can reinvent the wheel. Look at all the .450 class of cartridges--is there any that will do what the .450 NE will not? And, most of the new rifles are CNC machine made, stainless, fluted, plastic, pieces of no workmanship. The nicer rifles today are just copies of the old timers. And that is why the newest gun or rifle in my safe was made in 1920.

I hope I didn't piss off too many of you nice folks out there. Remember, it is just an opinion before some of you carve a Cal Pappas figurine out of soap and watch it dissolve in a stream of steaming tap water while pins are being stuck in it!

Cheers and lol to you, Matt.
Cal

Cal,

You didn't piss me off at all. I agree that nothing worthwhile new has been invented in guns for a long while.

I was with you, shooting nothing but Scottish / English / High-End German guns for years; guns built before WWII.

After fighting with repairs, stock issues, availability of brass and bullets, I have gone to recent manufactured guns in everything. My Merkels all are reliable, accurate, ammo/brass is easy to find, and I have an Ferlach trained gunsmith right here in the US that can do any repairs or adjustments I need for no or little cost.

I have also found a recent attraction for the Heym 88B. I have a .375 on consignment in a double rifle that weighs only between 8.5 and 8.75 lbs. And it shoots great. That is a handy all round double rifle.

I prefer classic rock/jazz/blues music; but I'm always open to new genres. Same with guns.

However, the Blaser products, I just can't find a love for them.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30R Blaser was invented because people wanted to rechamber .30/06 drillings for a rimmed cartridge because they got tired of the rim slipping the extractor. The 30R Chambering reamer will clean up any .30/06 chamber and throat. It's about 1/2 inch longer than the .30/06.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is there a way to make 30R brass?

Availability is a consideration.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read some where that there was a 7.62x54R Improved that was supposed to beat a 30/06 hands down.
If true, that would be my choice.

Cheers, John

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's just me, but a .30 caliber of any ilk in a DR is WAY TOO SMALL.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Maybe it's just me, but a .30 caliber of any ilk in a DR is WAY TOO SMALL.

Why do you say that ?

Are you thinking DR's are only for Dangerous game ?

We / people do hunt things such as deer, pigs, donkeys, etc that are perfectly able to be hunted with a 30 cal DR.

Rabbits would easily be hunted with a .22 cal DR.

I've even shot a fox with a DR, albeit a 375H&H but could easily have been anything smaller calibre.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not just for DG; I use mine for everything, but they just seem to need to have big holes in the barrels. At least 9.3mm. I can't help it; it's a disease.

Posts: 17284 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reverend Recoil
posted Hide Post
I vote for the 7.62x54.

DR #2276, P-100 2021

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Not just for DG; I use mine for everything, but they just seem to need to have big holes in the barrels. At least 9.3mm. I can't help it; it's a disease.

I understand the need for big holes in the end, I like to think the same way
but having weighed into mobs of pigs and a family of dingo's with a 500/465, I realised after a time that a 30 cal (or even my 9.3 DR) would have been the better option.

Not only on the shoulder but also the wallet - I think I fired 12 or 13 shots at the family of dingoes for 7 or 8 dead (the last one gave me the run around
until I eventually hit him through the 1 foot log !!! LOL)

Note - before anyone gets on a high horse, these were shot before the ban on shooting dingoes.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Although the 8x57 is a smidgen over 7.62 I do think it would be a viable option.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ozhunter:
Although the 8x57 is a smidgen over 7.62 I do think it would be a viable option.

Agreed, a good DR Calibre for Australia anyway
and probably other places as well.

It's probably popular in Europe as it seems to be listed as a caliber in the makers catalogues.

One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
.333 Flanged. 300 grain bullets. If it had to be a .30 cal proper, I would go with the .300 flanged.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought a little .30-.30 Win. would be an interesting double.

Posts: 10368 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my little .303 double. It is an Army Navy brought over from Rhodesia. Woodleigh is still making the 215 gr. load and I can now try other heavier bullets if I want bullets by swagging.
I carried it one season while trying for a black bear and hope to use it again this winter so I can finally bloody the thing. I wish I could find a few problem hogs like they have in Texas.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JabaliHunter
posted Hide Post
definitely a .303 or even a .303 Epps

Posts: 712 | Location: England | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote