THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Manipulating hammer doubles when hunting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Manipulating hammer doubles when hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have several Kodiak muzzleloading (hammer) double rifles I have been shooting at the range (and regulating charges to shoot to a single point of impact). It occurred to me that I have no idea of the most efficient method to use a hammer double when hunting.

When cocking one hammer to shoot, would I leave the other at half-cock, or do I cock both hammers preparatory for a quick second shot?

If I cock only one barrel at a time to shoot, which barrel - the barrel that recoils into my face or the one recoiling away? This is not a "recoil" question, rather one that asks which hammer is more convenient to cock for the second shot?

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Naphtali, over the years I have owned several exposed hammer double rifles, and how or when I cock both or just one hammer depends on what I’m shooting at.

When hunting deer, or bear on bait in tight cover I cock both barrels before firing the first shot. The quick follow-up shot is very important to avoid loosing the deer, or with bear I automatically fire a follow-up shot as soon as I can get back on target.

If, however, I’m shooting a deer in the open, where I can take my time, for the first shot, and have some open ground for the second if needed I cock the right barrel leaving the left on half cock, immediately cocking the left barrel in case the second is needed.

The order of firing is simply a habit that is most often recommended by the maker of the rifle because that is the way the double rifle is regulated by the maker, and it is a good idea to have everything you do with a double rifle to be consistent for best results when in a hurry. Others may do different, because the practice is simply your choice in the end!

In fact if your rifles have good sear engagement and are not prone to doubling, than you can cock both all the time.

Hope any of this helps! Good hunting!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
I have hunted with hammer (shotguns) for years and have a Kodiak that I also drag to the woods. When I am anticipating a shot in the near future, I generally will cock the left hammer and then keep my right thumb set on the (down) right hammer. My Kodiak has shown itself to totally resist doubling and I have no qualms about firing with both hammers cocked for that first shot firing one trigger at a time. When a shot presents itself, I can cock the right hammer while shouldering the rifle and drop my trigger finger to the front trigger. It has worked for me for years and can be fast when need be and keeps your thumbs/fingers away from the left hammer and trigger until you are reaching for them after that first shot.

Posts: 47 | Location: Houston | Registered: 07 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you left-handed, or right-handed?
quote:
Originally posted by Dukescav:
I have hunted with hammer (shotguns) for years and have a Kodiak that I also drag to the woods. When I am anticipating a shot in the near future, I generally will cock the left hammer and then keep my right thumb set on the (down) right hammer. My Kodiak has shown itself to totally resist doubling and I have no qualms about firing with both hammers cocked for that first shot firing one trigger at a time. When a shot presents itself, I can cock the right hammer while shouldering the rifle and drop my trigger finger to the front trigger. It has worked for me for years and can be fast when need be and keeps your thumbs/fingers away from the left hammer and trigger until you are reaching for them after that first shot.

It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson

Posts: 1513 | Location: Seeley Lake | Registered: 21 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Right-handed... I have gone in on coveys of quail with a hammer shotgun, cocking the left hammer and having right thumb on the right hammer and on the rise, I can cock the right hammer and hit the first quail inside of 15 yards (open chokes). I have found it very fast and controllable. I have recently started hunting with my Kodiak and follow pretty much the same process so if something gets started (busting a bunch of hogs) I feel that I can get on them quick with two shots. Hope it gives you some ideas that you can use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont understand the reason to walk or wait (briefly) with one bbl cocked. is it lack of time to cock the 2nd bbl? If it is safe cocked then why not cock both?

I find this very awkward weapon the hammer double shotguns. My shotgun experience was to cock one bbl as I shoulder the gun. That is the right side, which is the fastest for me to manipulate. The left barrel is very slow for me. Faster than reloading but slow to cock and fire 2nd shot. I wish these replica/new guns came with a transfer bar safety that was either working off the trigger, like a Ruger single revolver or a tang safety transfer bar. Or a good safety I can see, understand and trust.

With a 'good' safety I would cock both barrels in advance. I guess thats not going to happen.

For me, a single works better. Lighter, carries and swings better.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
With my hammer shotgun, I walk with it loaded, hammers back, and the action open. When a bird rises, I close the action as part of my swing and fire. May be too awkward for you, but I feel safe walking that way and I think it takes me less time to close the action than to cock the hammers.

IIRC some hammerguns won't cock with the action open.

Posts: 1729 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lots of discussion about this in various forums. Here's what I've distilled from the chat and my own hammergun experience:

First point is that, once loaded, all hammerless doubles are cocked all the time, both rifle and shotgun (except Krieghof) and rely on the safety and intercepting sears, if fitted. Naturally, the primary safety is control over the muzzle no matter what mechanical safety/safeties exist.

Second is that the people I hunt with do not want me to, and I would not want to, walk with a hammergun on full cock unless it has a safety. But, only a few hammerguns have an external safety.

Third, is that putting hammer guns on half cock would be fine but beginning with rebounding hammers few actually have the half cock function.

Fourth, you might want to sweep back both hammers at a covey rise or when you are ready to shoot at big game. But, not all hammerguns will permit you the leverage to do so.

Fifth, yes, some actually walk afield with hammers cocked and action open although not all hammerguns may be cocked with the action open or, and I'm not sure about this, be able to close if opened and the hammers cocked. That's easy to test. But, in any case, I would never walk in the bush with my action open as it's too easy to get a wisp of grass or leaf in the action that would make it impossible to close.

So, what to do? If you can't cock both hammers with one sweep of your trigger thumb, then you must shoot one barrel at a time and give up the notion of getting doubles at birds. With big game the situation will likely permit you to cock both hammers as you ready for your first shot since you should be the only one shooting...

Would be good to learn other ideas on this as I like the idea of exposed hammers.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dukescav
posted Hide Post
Just to flesh out my technique, when I say I cock the left hammer and then ride my thumb on the right hammer (right handed shooter), that is just during the time when I am anticipating a shot in the near future. If this situation changes, I de-cock the left hammer and continue with both hammers down until I need to make a shot later. I have been able to sweep both hammers before shouldering my shotgun in cowboy matches but I find the situation different for some reason, I guess because I know the shooting position and scenario instead of having a game bird/animal bust out in front of you more or less unexpectedly. Like seeing a dove approach from a distance and you know you are going to get a shot. I then cock the left hammer and ride the right hammer until the time I start to shoulder the weapon, cock the right hammer and make the shot(s).