THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    One solid and one soft for 450/400
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One solid and one soft for 450/400
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for components for two loads, both 400gr. I'd like as much as possible to get my rifle to shoot all of them in the same general area of the landscape.

Soft to be tough enough for buff, but still workable on cats (or am I asking too much?).

Woodleigh?

Solid, preferably FN. GS bullets seem to have a lot of qualities (right shape for straight penetration, "solid" solid, narrow drive bands for good obturation and low friction, etc), but... They are 380gr, and long for the caliber. They may need more twist than what available in a 450/400 to stabilize properly.

The above are conjectures on my part, is there someone who's "been there, done that" and got GS satisfactorily regulated in a 450/400 3"? Mine is a Heym.

Any sound advice based on experience will be appreciated.

Thanks...

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Philip

I recommend the 400gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids.

With my 450/400 3 1/4" I have taken pigs black bear, 2 caribou ,baboon, warthog, cape buff, and lion.

The Soft worked great in all cases.

With the Solid I have taken a bull elephant.
Again perfect performance.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh for .40cal and above. thumb

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Philip

I recommend the 400gr Woodleigh Softs and Solids.

With my 450/400 3 1/4" I have taken pigs black bear, 2 caribou ,baboon, warthog, cape buff, and lion.

The Soft worked great in all cases.

With the Solid I have taken a bull elephant.
Again perfect performance.

I second the above! Good bullets, and are well suited to everything form dik dik to Elephant! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for the Woodleighs......a classic that simply works.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WVFred
posted Hide Post
I use Woodleighs in my 450/400 also.They both shoot to POA with the same load.

Fred

DRSS Member

Posts: 905 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Soft to be tough enough for buff, but still workable on cats (or am I asking too much?).

No, you are not. When choosing a mono bullet, throw traditional weights out the window, they do not apply. The question with mono soft and solids is to take the recommendation of the manufacturer for the application. It is our job to ensure that the bullet we recommend is the best one for the task at hand. The combination of bullet frontal area, construction, momentum and energy must be able to surpass what is required for the shot and weight has little to do with it.

Although the examples below were done with a 458, the principle is the same. The same HV bullet was used on two animals and the pictures speak for themselves.

Regulation is a snap and easier than with bullets that distort in the bore.