New
Find
Notify
Tools

Medium bore rimmed rounds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
OK there seems to have been a lot of discussion around these rounds, enough to perk my interest, so, in the interests of due diligence, where does one get components (ie. dies, brass, bullets) for these rounds? I am thinking in particular of 9.3x 74R, 7x57R, and 8x57 was also mentioned). The 7 and 8mm should pose no problems for bullets, but brass? Same for the 9.3 except that both brass and bullets would seem to be uncommon. So, where do you guys that own these rounds buy your stuff?
Thanks, Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No Sweat Midways carry it all,

premium brass in 9,3x74R, 7x57R, 8x57R, 7x65R and some more, usually it´s Norma or RWS that will be the cases to have even though Sellier&Bellot do sell ammo in these calibers.

As to bullets buy Woodleigh and never look back again.

Do take care Ds rifles will give you some serious cash flow problems!!

/C

One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R is the easiest flanged double rifle caliber there is to find ammo, brass, and bullets for. If the double rifle rounds ever die out again, 9.3 will be available when nothing else is. Even Hornady is making brass (I have some) and ammo for it now.
--------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lapua is also making loaded ammunition for the 9.3 X 74. We'll try some out in January!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3x74R is THE middleweight King! Legal in some african countries for everything. Nosler makes bullets here, so does Speer. Several choices for brass and some loaded ammuntion.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
i bought 8 boxes of 9.3 x 74r sellier & bellot 285gr that cabela's in buda ( austin) tx...in anticipation of owning a 9.3.... i paid $33/box... and have been told that s&b doesn't roalad as good as others...i'll find out eventually...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! 7x57R dies? I haven't seen these anywhere. I think I saw 7x65 but not 7x57R. jimatcat, if I get mine before you get yours, do you want to sell me a box or 2?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
The dies for 7x57 and 8x57 should be the same for rimmed or rimless only the shellholder is different. I have never had good luck with Norma brass in the 9.3x74r. Only reload once or twice at most in my guns. RWS is good brass for me but harder to get. Haven't loaded enough of the Sellior&Bellot 7x57r to know as yet what the life is. It's CZ combo and I don't shoot it much although it's very accurate. Haven't loaded much for my 8x57jrs as yet still trying to work up loads and really need to get a scope mounted if I can find some mounts.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 8x75rs intrigues me to no end. i'd bet it would make a great plains game caliber in a double. it's a necked down 9.3x 74r, correct?

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zimbabwe (or someone) can you please confirm that the 7x57 die will do for the 7x57 Rimmed (other than the shell holder)? Not doubting you Zim, just want to make sure! I have a 7x57 (CZ 550 FS, purchased recently), so, if I can save $126.99 I would like to! 9.3x74R dies are a lot less!
Kweber, I have seen form dies to go from 9.3x74R to the 8x75.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Peter
I can't find any listing for RIMMED versions of either 7 or 8 in any catalog of dies. Cartridges of the World show only one set of dimensions for both cases with the only basic difference being the rim diameter. I only have one set of each and load for my 7x57 bolt gun and my 7x57r CZ O/U and for my 8x57r double as I don't have an 8x57 boltgun. Have encountered no problems. Only place I could envision a problem is with the 8mm if you had the .318 bore as opposed to the .323. I'm not the final word on this subject though and you should check with the Die manufacturer to be positive.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zim, thanks for the reply. What shell holder do you use for your 7x57R? I have not been able to find one listed.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Peter
The RCBS #4 fits both my 8x57r and my 7x57r. Don't think either rimmed size is listed in the charts. I just tried the ones I had on hand till one fit.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS special orders, lee in 7x75 with a nr 13 Hornady shell holder vill work as well, sometimes one has to cut 0,2 mm of the die at the bottom to ensure a total calibration.

I just got my 9,3x74R double will post pics later.

Best regards Chris.

quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Thanks guys! 7x57R dies? I haven't seen these anywhere. I think I saw 7x65 but not 7x57R. jimatcat, if I get mine before you get yours, do you want to sell me a box or 2?
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kweber:
the 8x75rs intrigues me to no end. i'd bet it would make a great plains game caliber in a double. it's a necked down 9.3x 74r, correct?

Yes, it's a necked down 9.3. Pressure is pretty high for a double rifle though, 55,000 PSI.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kreighoff and Heym offer the 8x75rs in their doubles. not that I'm buying any time soon. isn't it loaded to 2700+ fps with 200 grain bullets?

Posts: 205 | Location: Hondo Tx | Registered: 22 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys I think I will be all set. I ordered the 9.3 stuff advertised in the Classifieds, and, with my existing 7x57 and the #4 shellholder, hopefully I will be ready to rock and roll. Now all I need is the guns!
Peter.