THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Utah deer with my little sister
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Utah deer with my little sister
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
Afer striking out on the bow and muzzleloader season this year, I thought that I would give it 'one more go' with the rifle and try for a buck.
Early this morning I spotted this buck in the middle of a hay field but couldn't tell it was a buck. I saw him and another smaller one so I thought that it was a doe and fawn and headed to another area. When I didn't find anything on my first attempt, I headed over to where I saw this buck earlier this morning. When I got to the area I stumbled across a fawn and attempted cut a wide birth around it but bumped this buck. I grabbed my glasses and when I saw that he was a 2-point I was a little put out but decided to put a stock on him anyway. I got within 100 yards in some tall grass and just as I leveled the Vortex 2-7x Viper on him he turned and I fired. A MISS! I couldn't believe it. So I gave him the second barrel of my Sabatti 45-70, but to no avail he kept on trucking it to the other end of the property. In a sence I was kind of glad I didn't tag a 2-point with my dedicated tag on the first year, but was upset at the miss. I knew that tonight would be the game changer.

On the night hunt I grabbed my sister and a good friend and headed off to where I spotted this deer earlier in the day. After walking around for a bit we stumbled on to him chasing the same doe that he was with this morning. Neither of them knew that we had them pinned at 25 yards.

I told my sister to put one in him, but she couldn't see him through the grass so the waiting game began. A couple of minutes later he walked into a clearing and I told my sister to 'lay the wood on him' with her Marlin 45-70. She pulled the trigger and I knew he was hit but didn't want him to run off so I leveled down on him and.....missed with the right barrel. As this was happening my buddy fired with his Marlin 336 30-30. We couln't tell if he hit the buck but I knew that I had one loaded barrel left and I didn't want this buck to give me the slip twice in one day. I waited until he was on the up jump and gave him the left barrel and down he went! My buddy got to him first and put him down marking the end of a great night hunt.

All of us were hunting with leverevolution bullets and 'old timey' guns which made the hunt one of the funnest I've ever been on.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
congratulations!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
congratulations!

+1

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Sounds like an enjoyable hunt tu2

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Well done!

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Way to go..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote