New
Find
Notify
Tools

merkel game engraving
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
G'day all. I am looking at buying a merkel double in 470NE and not sure which engraving to get on it as i can't find any pictures. If anyone has such a double with the african game engraved on it could you post a picture so I have a better idea.Cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Zhaba did you check their site - lots of pics there: Merkel engravings ?

Posts: 2027 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
On their web sight I couldn't even find their safari game engraving.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Merkel can be pretty cartoony. I like their guns, but wish the engraving was a little more realistic.

LL Beans has a $7000 16 gauge boxlock that I would love to own. However the engraving (ok the price too) keeps me from owning it.

For the same money their are used Westley Richards boxlocks, Arrietta and AYA sidelocks, and or a Gold Label and a $4000 wingshooting safari.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The engraving is getting better, guns are OK. If you're going to pay the money wanted for a Merkel side plate or side lock gun you need to look at other makers.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I'm finding this thread a little vendicating for me as most of you seem to consider the deep chisle German engraveing as catoony.
I just had someone pass on a Holland & Holland double wich had very subtle english scroll with case color because he said for that kind of money he would expect better wood and engraving. I suggested he look at a merkle instead.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
I agree with the cartooney statement. When folks show me a rifle with a cat whose face is flat or some other perspective problem with a buffalo or something, I just say 'Nice' and move on. UNless it;s done extremely well, animals on guns can look awfully cheesy. Even too much scroll work is cheesy in my book, then again, who is reading my book... speaking of which,

have you read...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too much scroll work? Could be for many makers. But until you see a pre war Boss gun with full enrgraving you may continue to lead a deprived existence.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Speaking of the devil - here is the one i like the most - you even have to work for it Wink

One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Too much scroll work? Could be for many makers. But until you see a pre war Boss gun with full enrgraving you may continue to lead a deprived existence.

Seen it, don't like it too much. Deprivation then, like art, seems to be in the eye of the beholder...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the web site Mouse93 there are some intresting pictures there. I am intrested in just a box lock.But the Kudu on that side plate I think looks really neat.The picture/engraving of the elephant on the box lock action is the one I like the best,cheers

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at post from new_guy as he had posted some very beautiful items.

Some engraving doesn't need animals.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
The last photo is the last post of Frank's is of our .577 by Butch Searcy, and engraved by Mark Swanson of Prescott, Arizona.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'm a merkel man and you really have to look at each rifle individually,

unlike some rifles that are "stamped out" the game scene merkels are individually engraved.

i have seen some i wouldn't buy, but most are very well done. a pleasure to look at and a pleasure to won.

'YA GOTTA LOOK 'EM OVER BEFORE YOU BUY 'EM "

i sell merkels at some pretty good prices.

call me at 814 859 0008 when you're ready

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ftondrus
I know what you mean I have seen some that look really bad but others that had the same engraving that was great seems some engraver are better than others.Anyway what part of the world are you at?What do you have in the way of 470NE ejector doubles,how much?

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Akshooter:
I'm finding this thread a little vendicating for me as most of you seem to consider the deep chisle German engraveing as catoony.
I just had someone pass on a Holland & Holland double wich had very subtle english scroll with case color because he said for that kind of money he would expect better wood and engraving. I suggested he look at a merkle instead.

There are tons of good German engravers who do very good deep engraving. Merkel just doesn't employ those guys.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Grenadier:
quote:
LL Beans has a $7000 16 gauge boxlock that I would love to own.

I've never been to an LL Bean store but I look through their catalogs and internet site from time to time. I didn't know they sold guns. Do they have many offered? Do they also sell ammo?

Beans has Merkel shotguns and rifles, tons of Brownings (ahem crap), and Remingtons. They have a lot of Berretta shotguns, Benellis, and some used guns. They are horrible to trade with, but other than they have a 100% garantee on guns. If you don't like it for any reason you can bring it back for a full refund.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
Take a look at post from new_guy as he had posted some very beautiful items.

Some engraving doesn't need animals.

Only the bottom gun is good, the rest are poor representations.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ZAHABA i am near erie, pa. i have one game scene 470 EXTRACTOR GUN coming in about 10 DAYS

price on a new MERKEL 470 EJECTOR -

(DLR) arabesque $9,600 game scene $10,550

arabesque $9,400 game scene $10,200 WITH 50 % DEPOSIT

CALL ME AT 814 859 0008 TO DISCUSS.

I HAVE ON GUNSINTERNATIONAL.COM A GRAVEX TWO BARREL SET - 470 AND 375 H&H SIDELOCK EJECTOR

One of Us
posted Hide Post
D 99

MERKEL has some of the finest engravers available. however there are few willing to pay for the best.

you get good value on engraved MERKELS. but with ANY game scene engraving you gotta look 'em over.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
Does merkel offer English scroll engraving?

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
YES, MERKEL HAS LONG OFFERED ENGLISH SCROLL, ESP ON THEIR OVER UNDER SHOTGUNS. IT IS OFTEN SEEN ON THEIR MODEL 303 EL. THIS IS THE MODEL WITH THE CONCEALED FASTENER FOR THE HAND DETACHABLE SIDELOCKS. IT IS PRICED TO YOUR ORDER SPECIFICATIONS.

O/U MODEL 2000CL HAS SCROLL ENGRAVING LIST $8,000 DLR $6,400 AVAIL IN 12,20 & 28 GA CASE COLORED

S X S MODEL MODEL 47 E - BASE MODEL SCROLL ENGRAVED CASE HARDENED LIST $4,400 DLR $3,520

CONTACT ME FOR SPECIAL PRICING ON ANY MERKEL 814 859 0008

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
Yep you are right - try here : http://www.gsifirearms.com/gsif/spotlight_product.asp :

Those pictures represent the "best" examples of CARTOON engraving that I have ever seen. thumbdown

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
YES, MERKEL HAS LONG OFFERED ENGLISH SCROLL, ESP ON THEIR OVER UNDER SHOTGUNS. IT IS OFTEN SEEN ON THEIR MODEL 303 EL. THIS IS THE MODEL WITH THE CONCEALED FASTENER FOR THE HAND DETACHABLE SIDELOCKS. IT IS PRICED TO YOUR ORDER SPECIFICATIONS.

O/U MODEL 2000CL HAS SCROLL ENGRAVING LIST $8,000 DLR $6,400 AVAIL IN 12,20 & 28 GA CASE COLORED

S X S MODEL MODEL 47 E - BASE MODEL SCROLL ENGRAVED CASE HARDENED LIST $4,400 DLR $3,520

CONTACT ME FOR SPECIAL PRICING ON ANY MERKEL 814 859 0008

Of course another damn gun dealer trying to sway the herd.

I would say 75% of the Merkel engraving looks like Walt Disney.

Maybe 25% of it is good.

Look at a Merkel from the 1960's. Beautiful stuff.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
notice that the most negative comments are coming from a guy that isn't a DRSS member and does not list owning any double rifles.

hmmmmm. does this reek of sour grapes methinks.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If your refering to me, you are stupid. Take your 36 post over to the Classified section post photos of what your trying to sell there.

I do not own a double rifle currently, I owned a Blaser until about 2 years ago. I am going to buy a Heym this Winter when I return from the war.

I would not be part of DRSS as my penis is big enough that I don't need the affirmations of other men to tell me how cool I am.

I'd like to find an over and under 458 Winchester, 450/400, or 470 NE from a Suhl or Ferlach maker.

I like British double rifles, but most of them are beyond affordable. Since the availability of once "exotic" cartridges has had a resergance the price of British rifles has gone through the roof.

Honestly take a look at a Merkel of old and one recently made.

Merkel puts fantastic wood on all their guns if you pay for it. Merkel has good gunsmiths, but they have a lot of cartoon artist as well.

The German engraving system of "plastique" or deep German engraving doesn't have to be as cartoonish as Merkel guys make it.

Don't let your dreams of making a sell sway your integrity when it comes to judging engraving.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
http://www.af-gravuren.de/

Check this site out for a good German engraver.

Here is a article on her from JWW.
http://www.jww.de/r30/vc_content/bilder/firma445/Archiv..._iwa_jww_02_0206.pdf

You would be hard pressed to find anyone at Merkel as good as Alexandra, and while she is a Master she's not the best Engraver in the German speaking world, from what I understand there are others out there that are as good or better than Winston Churchill.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
No Disney here.

With the exception of the 2nd Merkel double the ones posted by pichon1 are good.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post

not African but still Merkel

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
best buff ever engraved (IMO) Smiler

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
IMO, you get what you pay for and since my rifes get hard use, im not too fussed on owning super $ engraving as much as I like it .

My old work horse that I should not have sold.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I really like the moose rifle, but the engraving is Bullino not what the Germans call Plastike.

The buffalo is also perfect, but it is not plastik either it's bullino.

Nice engaving though. I would agree it's probably the best buffalo engraved gun going.

Here is some Winston Churchill engraving.

One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Winston Churchill is supposed to be the best engraver in America.

http://wchurchill.com/index.html

His stuff blows me away, but considering what he charges it should.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post

FN-Browning B 25 12 ga "Spécial Chasse"

FN-Browning CCS 525, 9,3x74R

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in defense of merkel engravers please reflect on these realities for "standard guns".

they are doing production engraving to make a motif with a certain amount of time allotted to do the job.

some of the engravings submitted HERE as exquisite would cost MORE FOR THE ENGRAVING ALONE than the cost of an engraved merkel double rifle !

good engravers CANNOT provide very much engraving for the difference between merkel arabesque and game scene which is $1,200 at retail and even less at wholesale which is $960!!

if alexandra can do her engraving as shown for $960 please publish her contact information so we can all start sending her work right away.

THE REALITY IS , WAS , AND EVER SHALL BE ...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

and merkel game scene engraving is a good value for the money.

do get yourself a merkel catalog and look over the quality they can offer, for several thousands of dollars for the many hundreds of hours needed to do it. comparing apples to oranges doesn't work

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really want to be blown away get a Holland & Holland catalogue and prepare to be stunned and utterly amazed, but then again there is a "small" problem with these rifles, $$$$$$$.

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote