THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Joining the double rifle club
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Joining the double rifle club
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

9,3x74R double rifle by Zimmermann OHG Germany
Custom stock to my measurments.
Regluated to my ammo (using Fullmetal Jacked 18,5 bulltes)
The rifle is build up on sidelock parts from Spain using Lothar Walther barrels.
(6shots 4cm at 100m)

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry the picture got a bit large.
I bought also a case for it see:

All together EUR 9700

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks very nice. Please tell us more about the gunsmith. How do you plan to use it? Is it just for shooting matches?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

That case looks very nice too. Who made it? Where did you get it? Is it leather covered plywood?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice....never looked at a double under an electron microscope!!!!

PS: Welcome to AR!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
at sidpost

The rifle was build this year, Mr. Lienert who owns now Zimmermann Waffen OHG in Wildflecken makes only a few rifles a year his main business is rebarreling or inlay barrels for Drillings. His education he made in Ferlach.

He buys unfinished parts from Spain (Side lock parts and the action), the barrel assebly he make himselfe out of barrel blanks from Lothar Walther. This design also suvives a 20round box shot without break. Best accuracy I got with RWS 16,7 H type bullets 8th to 16th shot was with in 5cm at 100m. The FMJ ammo for which it is regulated shoot to the same place but only up to 8th shots. I shoot that seating postion not from the bench.

Every stock is made for the customer to his measurements and he mounts the scope on the rifle so that the stock has exactrly the right high to get fast on the target.

Barrel length is 63cm he makes only 8x57ISR and 9,3x74R doubles.

The case is from Enembi Italy (nearly every gun case you see form what ever manufacturer are from Enembi), lether on wood. cost EUR 970. They have even more expensive cases up to 3000 but that would not make sense for a EUR 6000 rifle. The scope is from Nickel Germany with a special smale eye pice (38mm) instead of 44, so that it does not hang over the action/grip mounted by a EAW scopemount fiting to the 11mm scoperail).

The rifle is intended for wild bore hunting as soon as I have the ammo 100% under control and some more traiing shots made.

For the 470NE I had to go for a Merkel (came next year and all the EUR were then used up) he does not make large calibers because he said he has no experiance in that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just checked the recods.

Rugulating load was
9,3x74R cases (RUAG Thun, not RWS)
RWS primer 5341 (now I use Federal gave more uniform perfomance)
FMJ 18,5g bullet made by RWS
Hodgen H4350 4,244g (65,5gr)
the case from Thun has so much capacity that the load is not compressed as shown on the loading data.
to max overall length of 94.5mm

Normal factory ammo from RWS 18,5g SP shoot to the same place but does not heat up the barrels as fast and the recoil is much less.

Most of the loads perform, so that the shoots were together within the specification of 6cm at 100m. The only what not shoot at all was the handloads using Nosler Partion 18,5g. they was all over the place. Much money blown out for nothing. The Lapua Vulcan 18,5gr was ok but not impressive.

Best shoot the factroy ammo (old box of RWS 18,5gr H-type bullet) after zeroing over 6 rounds the next 8 shoots was with in 5cm at 100m. After the box of 20 the rifle was really hot. The gunsmith told me not to make more then 8shots without coolding down the barrels.

After a few hundred shots I can say the rifle shoots, but it is easier to use less powder and less verlocity to get uniform results on long shooting programms. With top performance loads the accuracy drops after 4-6 shots. When there is a bit less then the max powder and velocity it works fine up to 12-16shots.

In future I will try loads with less chage (faster powders). To keep the heating of the barrels on a lower level.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the life size pics. I feel like I could almost shoulder the rifle. Wink

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote