THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Winchester O/U 30-06 Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester O/U 30-06 Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted
Anyone have a Grand European 30-06? I bought one at Tulsa and need to work me up a load for it. I have it toped with a Leupold varix III 1.5-5 Any suggestions?

Shawn Massey
www.masseysfineguns.com

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

"Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun!"

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shawn:

Did this rifle have mounts on it when you got it, or did you add them?
-------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
It already had them on it when I bought it. The mount is the long mount that sets over the rib and the rings are the quick release style with the lever.

I also got some 318 Westley Richards rounds made and loaded from 06 brass, thanks to you and others on this site for help! I also bought 75 rounds of loaded Kynoch ammo from William Larkin & Moore at Tulsa! I am ready to do business with my 318.

Shawn Massey
www.masseysfineguns.com

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

Posts: 203 | Location: South West Kansas | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it have any markings as to what it was regulated for? I would try a variety of factory loads and see what comes closest to regulating. I think I would try some 150-165 loads first then 180’s.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Shawn, for what it is worth... The .30-06 Browning Continental's were regulated with 150 grain bullets. When I had claw mounts added that changed... now my Browning likes 200's. Had I know that would be the outcome I probably would have paid extra.! Wink

PS: IMR 4320 and 4350 with the 150's was awesome.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Massey:
Anyone have a Grand European 30-06? I bought one at Tulsa and need to work me up a load for it. I have it toped with a Leupold varix III 1.5-5 Any suggestions?

Shawn Massey
www.masseysfineguns.com

Shawn, I hesitate to tell you this, but you will be a very lucky man indeed, if the Winchester Grand Europian regulates with anything! these rifles were not regulated in the normal manner, but were placed in a jig and brazed together! I have one, a 9.3X74R in my gun vault as we speak, the will shoot 1" groups from each barrel, but the bottom barrel shoots at the same elevation, as the top barrel, but four inches left of point of aim, and the top barrel shoot fourinches right of point of aim, at 50 yds, and at 100 yds forget it. This rifle was a very expensive lesson, for me, in buyer bewear! I just marked it up to a learning process, and put the rifle in the back of the vault, and for got I have it! Eeker

The other problem is these thigs were not soldered but brazed, makeing them not a good candidate for re-regulateing! They are beautiful rifles, and I hope your's is somehow accidently regulated properly! killpc

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll concur with MacD37.

Many of the guns didn't shoot that well - if at all and many owners over here had them re regulated - and once done, they turned out to be very good guns and shooters.

Hope you got a good one.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shawn

you might try some factory loads before you start handloading. I would try 2 different loads with each bullet weight, 150 165,180 and 220gr.

keep very good records marking the targets as to which is the top bbl and which is the bottom.

Save the actual targets.

you might see a trend develop as to which weight the rifle likes best.

You might also find that, say, the rifle puts 150gr bullets fron the top bbl into the same group that the bottom bbl does with 180gr. bullets.

Or maybe nearly all bullet weights hit the same place fron the bottom barrel but the top only hits close to the bottom with one load.

This might give you some idea where to start with your handloads.

For instance my 9,3x74R Chapuis shoots accurately and regulates good enough to hunt with 286 Woodleighs and 286 Nosler Partitions with the same powder charge, using the same sight zero, out to over 250 yards.

But, the double shoots smaller groups with a Partition in the left bbl and a Woodleigh in the right. Eeker

Do a little testing and let us know what happens.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Shawn Massey
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the advice!

I have a friend that goes by K80 on this site that had several factory loads, and he give me 4 round of each. I am going to start with that and see what happens before I load any new loads. I sure hope it shoots OK, like MACD37 said, it is a beautiful rifle!

I did shoot 8 rounds of 165BT reloads through it right after I bought it, but I shot from a led sled. I have learned since that you should hold the rifle over a rest in hand so it will recoil naturally. The shots were high at first, and after I adjusted the scope, the bottom barrel would hit dead center and the top barrel 4" left of the bottom. I also shot it offhand at 25yds and they both hit in the bullseye.

I can tell I am going to get hooked an double rifles!

Shawn

DRSS Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAHC Life Member

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard the wacky double rifle train, Shawn! I promise you it will not be a boreing ride! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote