THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Plinking loads 4831/400gr loads for the .470 NE?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plinking loads 4831/400gr loads for the .470 NE?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted
I've got some 400 gr bullets I'd like to use for some plinking, low recoil, loads for my son and others. I've got some IMR4831 in the house and am not buying any more powder before we move in early July.

Anyone have any load data they could share using 400gr bullets and IMR4831?

Thanks.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
When I tried 400gr Hawks in my 470 with 4831 it left a lot of unburnt powder in the barrels.

The gun shoots great with 500gr Woodleighs and 4831.

My guess with 4831 the 400gr bullet exits the barrel before the powder was entirely used up.

Jim

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the unburned powder had something to do with the smaller powder charge and shorter bullet...and could be "fixed" with a filler...?

Mine too shoots very well with 500gr Woodleighs and both 4831 and RL15.

Posts: 1262 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: 25 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BM,

Don't "Imus" me here, but why would you not want to use the exact loadig you'd use for hunting to practice with?

Not trying to pick any sort of fight here (yes I'm gun shy given the recent batch of squabbl'n going around this forum) but have learned that using the ammo you would use on the "Hunt" just makes good sense and very productive use of valuable and sometimes hard to get range time.

JMHO,

JW

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

"My" shooting is done with the 2060-2150 fps loads out of Graeme Wright's book, but those are a bit hot for my son...whose first double-gun experience included a bloody nose. I also happen to have a hundred or so 400-425 grain bullets around. I'd also guess I'll shoot several deer and hogs for every buff I shoot.

Now get yo nappy-headed self out there and scrape up some loads for me... Wink So sayeth Imus...

Matt

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Try 40 to 45 grains of XMP 5744 with this bullet....Makes a great practice load with Linebaugh bullets. You can load up to 55 grains with no pressure issues but in my rile the extra 10 grains didn't shoot well.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I tried the 400 gr Hornady pistol bullets & 87 gr rx15, works real good and affordable to play.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Palmer
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting Speer 400 grain pistol bullets with 45 grains of Accurate 5744.

Usually I shoot 4 rounds then shoot two full house loads with the Woodleighs.

The Speers are .475 dia. The release lever does not snap back to the same position that it does with Woodleigh .474 dia. Is this normal?

The reason I am wondering about this is that I have some .475 Northfork CPS that I would like to try but wonder if that diameter will be a problem in my Searcy.

ALLEN W. JOHNSON - DRSS

Into my heart on air that kills
From yon far country blows:
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?
That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

A. E. Housman

Posts: 2251 | Location: Mo, USA | Registered: 21 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Palmer,

I think your ammo is out of spec because the action should close smoothly and without a hangup regardless of the loads. Perhaps the case necks are too long or too thick, or perhaps the bullets stick out too far. With a lead core bullet like the Speer, I personally would not be concerned about the dimension being .475 instead of .474.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badger, CZ Carabine in 7,62x39 or 5,56 is for pinkling. You would not want to polish off those lands in that double by pinkling. I heard replacement cost is tremendous. bewildered

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now get yo nappy-headed self out there and scrape up some loads for me... So sayeth Imus...

Yowza-boss! beer

JW

One of Us
Picture of Badger Matt
posted Hide Post
Paolo - Less than half my shooting is with jacketed bullets. I've got lots of hard cast lead and figure they'll be gentler on the bore.

I've only got IMR 4831. If Graeme suggests 105gr with a 500gr jacketed bullet. What do ya'll think of 85gr with a 400gr lead or 90gr with a 400gr jacketed bullet for plinking? I'd use a filler with either one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the same powder charge for 400gn and 500gn loads in my 470 - these two loads shoot to the same POI and regulate equally well. BTW we can't get 475 pistol bullets in Oz as pistol calibres over 38 are not allowed so I use paper pateched jacketed or lead bullets intended for the 45-70.

mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting 30 Gr. AA5744 and a 540 Gr. FNPB Custom Cast Lead Bullet with a Muzzle Velocity of 1100 FPS. It has the same POI at 25/50 yds as my hunting load of 108 Gr. H4831 and a 500 gr. Woodleigh Soft or Solid @ 2050 fps.

This is in a Merkel and a Manton, I do have some unburnt powder with whe AA5744.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Florida | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used 104 gr of 4831 and the hornady 400 grain XTP to shoot a bullet out of the left barrel touching the hole left by the same load out of the right barrel. I did not shoot this over a chrono yet as I was looking for signs of preasure. With this load, the recoil was about 2/3 rds of the federal factory loadings with no filler 85% case capacity at least. (closer to 90-95% i think). Using the brass once I can load for 2.58 per round as opposed to 15.00 for factory and with the lower preasures, can shoot more and not worry about burning the barrel out.