THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Do you double guys collect howdah pistols.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you double guys collect howdah pistols.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I always loved the idea of a large caliber back up pistol. I do own a SW .500 and Desert Eagle .50AE which I think are kinda like modern howdah pistol, but I would love an old school double barrel howdah pistol. How effective are these weapons.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steel, they're about like double rifles....if you fire one off and the target is within 25 feet or so, you'll probably be OK.

The Blaser Guy :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
They are called Howdah pistols because they were made to shoot tigers that were trying to climb into your Howdah, which is a platform on an elephant. So, at muzzle distance, they work fine. Pedersoli makes them currently. Vintage ones; curiosities at best.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Omnivorous Bob from Alaska has a vintage original pistol that I was lucky enough to shoot on a couple of occasions. Think it was a .577 but not sure. This was a break open action just like a modern double rifle. He had cases made and that thing is just a hoot to shoot.
Unfortunately the prices of them is through the roof keeping most of us from buying one.

I think if a current double maker would bring one out for $5K or less in 45-70 they would sell a bunch of them.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Steel, they're about like double rifles....if you fire one off and the target is within 25 feet or so, you'll probably be OK.

The Blaser Guy :-)

Spoken like a true "Blaser Guy". Most especially with the Blaser DR clubs. About as expected Wink

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
If you want a 45-70 Howdah pistol, just tape two Thompson Contenders together.
I can't imagine a newly made one would sell for $5k, or at any price.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
There was a great picture of a guy at the Vintage Cup wearing "period" Indian hunting clothes and gear that had a howdah pistol in a unique holster. Guy looked like he was having fun, can't find the picture.

Here's one:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/vinpix2003/dsc01066s.jpg

Would be a fun toy if funds were available.

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a wilkinson 577 like SW mentioned. A NEAT piece of engineering and scaled down to fit the cartridge. I don't know the weight off hand but the size is smaller than a 1911.

As for power, well, with 450 grain bullets and FFg if clocks right at 700fps, 610fps with Fg. A big hole for sure but I think it definitely was an arms length gun. A 44 mag revolver has vastly more utility but still a cool piece of history.

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Found a picture of it from one of our shoots. The perfect DR accessory!

DRSS

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Arms length is right; they were not for actual hunting; the Indian Princes and Maharajahs had plenty of nice double rifles for that. Howdah pistols were for brushing stray tigers off your elephant.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mt Al:
There was a great picture of a guy at the Vintage Cup wearing "period" Indian hunting clothes and gear that had a howdah pistol in a unique holster. Guy looked like he was having fun, can't find the picture.

Here's one:

Would be a fun toy if funds were available.

I love any firearm with more than one barrel. Your picture of the howdah pistol above is a very fine one and in the original fitted case, with mold, and loading tools is something I have been wanting for many years, and simply have never found one that was a working piece, or one that I could afford. That one looks to be a 50 cal.

These things were usually placed in a holster on the inside wall of the Howdah with the grip just above the wall so it could be a last ditch hedge against a tiger getting into the howdah with the hunter.

Talk about stopping a charge at inches off the muzzles of a double!

.................................................................... Eeker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That one looks to be a 50 cal.

Mac, I've seen them in 577, 20, and 16 gauge and heard of one in 12!!! with a short 1.25" case.

I can't imagine it would hold much powder or get much over 5-600fps, but a soft lead .73" ball at powder burn distance has got to have a heck of a wallop. If you're only going to get shot, make it count I suppose!

DRSS

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
quote:
That one looks to be a 50 cal.

Mac, I've seen them in 577, 20, and 16 gauge and heard of one in 12!!! with a short 1.25" case.

I can't imagine it would hold much powder or get much over 5-600fps, but a soft lead .73" ball at powder burn distance has got to have a heck of a wallop. If you're only going to get shot, make it count I suppose!

I have seen several chambered for the 58 Berdan carbine cartridge. I have a cape gun chambered for that cartridge on the right barrel, and a short 20 ga on the left barrel. Both are black powder cartridges, and are mild but would be very effective on a tiger from three feet.

Howdah pistols were used like small rifles, with the fore-end in one hand and the pistol grip in the trigger hand. Most were loaded, and cocked before being placed in the Howdah holsters for quick access.

Actually a 50 cal 1.25in cartridge would be a better choice that the larger bore cartridges.

I may build one for an obsolete black powder cartridge replica just for something to play with. I'll have to check the rules to see if it would be legal. However I would rather have an original!

........................................................................ coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Building one for your own use is legal as long as the bores are rifled; it is not legal to make a short barreled shot gun.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I know several collectors, two of which are now penning a book on Howdah pistols....they must have a dozen or 15 between them and they shoot them all!!
I have been fortunate enough to fire 4 or 5 of them over the years....lots of fun and mostly BP loads...so big boom and smoke!
Effective...well, very close like is posted earlier...I don't think I would try to protect myself from a Brownie on the fishing stream with one!!
They are UNIQUE, FUN and EXPENSIVE!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You mention a book,is Cal Pappas doing the book?And would keep us posted on available.Also what was the Howdah produce?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Will- my friends are just serious collectors up in Northwest US/Canada who are writing a book on Howdah pistols.
Don't hold your breath....one is fully employed and very busy....the other is retired and has had some major health issues and surgery recently....
The original Howdah Pistols were built in the late 1800's...into early 1900's for the Maharaja and other Tiger hunters mainly by the same UK gunmakers who built rifles.
One of the more famous later Howdah's were built by famous maker, cased with Royal crest and given as special gifts by Royals to special people. A few of these have made it into collections....last one I saw was at WR in Springfield MO and asking was $18K...BEAUTIFUL. I know of one other that was in an estate in Idaho recently.....but other common ones show up from time to time. There was ONE at the Beinfield show last weekend...so SCARCE to say the least!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I just inquired with my US friend who is the Howdah fancier on the Royal Howdah pistols.
He advises they were built by WILKINSON in 1860 for King George 5, 20 were built and NOT paid for!! I thought they were built for later royals but not so. The one I have seen was beautiful in the 90's and was asking $18K at that time. My friend advises that real prices are more in the $7500-9K for a nice one.

HA- just saw this link to the modern version of the HOWDAH- Double barrel 45 Auto!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...s&list=TLcD44wnGU8_4

Enjoy,
Cheers

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thread got me to look around, just bought a Pedersoli 58 cal muzzle loader over on Gunbroker. AR just keeps costing me money.
Interestingly enough Pedersoli also makes a smoothbore in 20 gauge. Perhaps NFA rules about short barreled shotguns don't apply to muzzleloaders?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a Whistler

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jaz:
Here is a Whistler

WANT!!

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm currently building a replica of a Durs Egg Over/Under Howdah Pistol in 16 Bore for a customer in Texas. One of these days when I have time I'll try to get some pictures of the build posted.

It's a replica of this original:

Colin

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
; it is not legal to make a short barreled shot gun.

Sure it is legal.
Just need a $200 tax stamp and an approved Form 1

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So are you saying to we need a stamp for the muzzle loader or the breech loader?If this is the case a gunsmith build us one,would you post more imformation?

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
https://www.atf.gov/

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote