THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Who makes decent canvas & leather case for SxS double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes decent canvas & leather case for SxS double rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I want to get a decent canvas and leather trunk case for my left-handed Searcy Field Grade .450 NE with 26" barrels. Jeff's Outfitters has one for $200 that looks ok in the photo. The case that came with my Trail Guns Armory Kodiak MKIV 20 years ago is nice enough for me. The case won't be used on airlines. I have a Hardigg Storm case for situations like that. I just wanted a traditional type case for automobile travel.

Does anyone have any experience with the Jeff's Outfitters Canvas & Leather Double Rifle Case?

http://jeffsoutfitters.com/sto...id=495&categoryid=71

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

I planned on a price limit of $300. I don't need a vintage case since it is a new rifle. It would be nice if I could have the right side of the stock, where the cheekpiece is, showing like most cases show the left side for right-handers, but that is not absolutely necessary.

TIA

Use a double rifle. It just feels better.

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dave

I have purchassed several DR cases from Jeff's Outfitters. They're about the same as Gallazan's just cheaper. As I recall Jeff's accessories are cheaper as well.

Purchase a maker's trade label (with correct address) from Mike Messina ($25) and a can of spray adhesive and you're in business.

Don

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Maybe I can buy a maker's label directly from Butch Searcy. He probaly uses them on those high-end oak and leather cases he offers.

Thanks for the info.

Dave

Posts: 190 | Location: Somewhere, I think. | Registered: 20 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I asked Keith Kearcher to put an old Lefever C two-barrel set in one of Jeff's cases along with a trade label once he finished the work it needed. The case serves for trips to the Eastern Shore goose hunting.

Must say that, 'tho a leftie, all my doubles are set up as for right handed shooting except that I've had the triggers turned on my dangerous game double, a 500/450 Nitro.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emmebi makes cases for many European arms makers.

But I think the cases at Jeff's Outfitters look like winners. Can anyone comment on their quality or durability? The price is excellent.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info everyone. I emailed Jeff to get more info on his cases after looking at his website. Those Emmebi cases look nice, but are more expensive.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff sent a nice reply and recommended his compact case in either leather or canvas & leather. He also wrote what size would be best and other helpful info.

Size - 12ga 28" (block the last 2")
Use a leather patch or something in the lid where the express sights touch the material or the sights will tear the felt.
He has many customers that have used this case for a rifle.
Case dimensions are 31" x 8 1/4" x 3 1/2".
Green interior only.

The Ultimate Compact Gun Case
Canvas & Leather
12/16ga up to 28"
Model #C/LCAS1030.2
$189.95

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Jeffs case that I use and modified for a Chapuis 9.3x74R double. It is quite nice but (and this is not a back-handed criticism) it is not the equivalent of an $800 case. I got the version that has additional space for the 'scope and it all fits nicely. Overall, a good buy but don't expect a H&H case. I have a shotgun bought from Roberts in London in one of their cases and there's a real difference.
But I would buy one of Jeff's again.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oxon,

Yes, I realize that it is not a best quality case made of oak and like those sold by Huey Custom Gun Cases. It is a moderately priced case and good enough for my intended use.

If I ever got a nice vintage double without a case, I would want a higher quality case..

You know the fantasy. You go to a garage sale and a guy has a "funny looking Dutch shotgun" that he can't get shells for. It turns out to be an H&H double rifle and you get it for next to nothing. You are so excited that you start to run home with it and even forget that you drove to the sale in your car. After 40 years of that fantasy I must say that it ages better than the women I've fantasized about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwana,
Please post a review of the case if you order it. Always wanted one myself but didnt know how the lefty rifle would fit.
Thanks

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Randy,
When you wander in sometime drag it along and we'll see first hand if it'll work out.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana_Dave:
Thanks for the info everyone. I emailed Jeff to get more info on his cases after looking at his website. Those Emmebi cases look nice, but are more expensive.

More expensive because the quality all around is better.

You get what you pay for in this world.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to post a picture of the cas I got from Jeff and fitted to my Chapuis:

Ha! It worked!

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case that Oxon shows is the same one that I bought from Jeff and modified to accept the .303 British double that I built. It is listed as being for a Drilling but I chose it because it has a space for a scope and the fore end,and was easily modified to accept snap caps, oil bottles, etc. For $200 it can't be beat! I'm very happy with my purchase. I suggest that you also order the canvas zip-on cover to protect the case as well.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's the drilling case. Since the picture was taken I've made fitted brass oil and grease cans and a take-down cleaning rod.

I got some thick felt discs at the local hdwe store and stuck them to the inner lid to hold down the various components when the lid is closed.

I think the suggestion to get the protective cover is a good one and I will do so - the canvas gets scuffed and soiled easily.

Thank you for making that suggestion.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are a couple of photos which show Jeff Mayfield's drilling case as I have modified it to accept my .303 along with all of the accessories that I made for it. As well, there is a shot showing the additional cost canvas cover which I recommend. The barrel channel, as it comes, will only hold a barrel set up to a maximum of 2.10" wide and 27" long. Larger than that, you'd need to modify this case or else opt for the double rifle case instead. Also, the cavity for the fore end will accomodate a small splinter one like this but something larger like a beavertail fore end would need to be stored attached to the barrels.

Best,
Ron Vella.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron- congrats! you did a super job!

I've taken your suggestion and have contacted Jeff and will get the canvas outer case.

Oxon

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bwana,
Please post a review of the case if you order it. Always wanted one myself but didnt know how the lefty rifle would fit.
Thanks

Snowwolfe, the case is due in next week. Next weekend I should get a chance to take a few pics and do a brief review.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
All Jeff's cases are good, but I like the leather cases far better than the canvass & leather cases. I have several of Jeff's cases some bought for him, and some I bought from the old company Cape Outfitters. These cases are well made, and are easy to modify and they will take up to 26" barrel sets.

The one I like is the item No. leacas2155

This is a $400 case for $299.95

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As requested by Snowwolfe, there is a review of Jeff's Outfitters Ultimate Compact Gun Case in the Product Reviews section.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...681081331#9681081331