THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Reloading .470 N.E for Krieghoff
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading .470 N.E for Krieghoff
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My .470 K-Gun in is regulated with 500gr Norma PH factory rounds (Woodleigh SP bullet).

They are listed at 2150 fps. I bet the real fps as usual is a little lower, maybe 2100...

Im buying Norma cases and woodleigh bullets, anyone have experiences loading With Norma or Vithavuory powders, and ideas what will regulate like the factory loads? I can get Hogdon but it is over twice as expensive here as it is exported from the US (not easy these days).

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Norsk - I would personally stay away from Norma 470 cases. Although I generally love Norma brass, I have found their 470 cases to be thin and on the brittle side. In a couple of cases I got head separation on a second reload! I only use Jamison and Hornady cases now and have never had a similar problem since. My 470NE Searcy double was regulated with 500gr Woodleigh bullets, 106 gr of IMR 4831, and Federal Magnum primers. These loads shoot well in my rifle and have shot well in my PH's Krieghoff (use at your own risk, however!). I have never loaded Norma or Vit powders for my doubles, so I am sorry I cannot be of any help there.

Good luck with your reloading!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norma cases are that bad in .470. Are you sure you just didn't get a bad bach? Many others have similar experiences With Norma .470 cases?

Sad, because they are the ones I can get easily here...

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norsk:
Norma cases are that bad in .470. Are you sure you just didn't get a bad bach? Many others have similar experiences With Norma .470 cases?

Sad, because they are the ones I can get easily here...

I guess it is possible I got a bad batch, but I would personally never use them again. In fact, I sold all of the remaining new case I had in hand. If you use them, I would check the web area for signs of separation each time prior to reloading.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the same load as Subsailer in my Searcy double. They chronograph at about 2200. They regulate fine.
I too have changed to Hornady brass. I have had case separations with Norma on the third or fourth reload. The Hornady brass holds the same water weight as the Norma, and my velocities are the same with 106 gr IMR 4831.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have some Norma Brass and have had good luck with them. I had some headspace issues with Hornady. The rims were too thick. Jamison has been good, I have ten reloads on some. The only issue with Jamison has been variances in weights between lots. I have two lots that average around 30 grains difference in weight.

The good news is with my 470 Nitro K-Gun most loads have regulated well with little issue. I have shot Reloder 15 with foam filler, IMR 4831, and H4831 powders with Woodleigh, Hornady, CEB, and North Forks bullets.

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:
The good news is with my 470 Nitro K-Gun most loads have regulated well with little issue. I have shot Reloder 15 with foam filler, IMR 4831, and H4831 powders with Woodleigh, Hornady, CEB, and North Forks bullets.

Mike
Which CEB Bullet did you use and which Powder?
Larry

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I have shot the 500 grain brass solids, the 460 grain brass NonCon, the 470 grain copper NonCon which I used to kill a buffalo last month. (I do not believe this bullet is available, it was an early design)

I mostly have used Reloder 15. 89 grains with a foam wad will be in the ball park.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Slightly off topic, but given the low pressures of DR loads, can anybody determine case life? The reason I ask is that I've reloaded my Hornady cases some in excess of five times and have not been able to determine weakening of the base, much less impending separation. thanks! jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just came back from first trip to range with new K-Gun.

Had 10 rounds Kynoch and 10 rounds i rolled myself using 500gr woodie sn and 103.5 grains Norma 204. As was the case with my 500/416 I had luck and the first load regulated perfectly at 100m (snakeeyes) Wink Both Kynoch factory and my reloads shot about 2 inches low at 100m though. Not sure if this comes from it being sighted in at 50m.

6 round group within 2.5 inches shooting without rest (sitting) and over the express sights at 100m. K-Guns are accurate...

Fealt recoil on the .470 is not more than on the 500/416, maybe even less... Which is strange since the momentum (both ways of course) is greater by around 10-15 percent on the .470.

Never dreamed I would Luck out again and get a regulating load on my first try again!!!

Next time will bring chrono to see what velocity im getting..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They use Norma MRP... not sure what they mean by max load though. The norma site gives 106-106 grain max, though I find other reloading sources stating up to 112 grain MRP...

Dear Sir

A max load of MRP produces c2150fps. We use MRP in production. Every 25fps that your load is out opens up the group by about 1". Start with the published Norma data and a good primer and see where you are with your rifle.

Dr Don Heath D.Sc.
Manager Technical Support
Norma Precision AB
S 670 40
Åmotfors
Sweden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ie- 106grns a) regulates and b) is close to max pressures (which are pretty low) I am pretty certain all my loads with south African powders are above max listed pressure but in any modern gun...26,000spi or 31,000psi...like who cares? it is not as though you are loading a 300RUM with a 5% overload

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are right. I will probably have to go up to 112 grain to get 2150 fps out of my 23.5 inch barrels.

Maybe I have been a little too worried about wearing my k gun out and Loading conservatively for it. My Norwegians reloading manual states 2113 fps on 500gr swift a frame with 112 gr MRP. That is The Max load there for MRP. I would Guess 113-114 gr MRP is needed to get 2150 fps unless The woodleigh for some reason is faster...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swift always gives Higher pressures and lower velocities than woodleighs- at least in the 500/416 and .375 FL which I have pressure tested

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Ganyana, that is very interesting. I will start at 111 grains and chrono that. Going to post my findings if it is of interest to others, but not sure if many use norma powders outside of Scandinavia?..

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Ganyana,
If I may ask,what were your favorite bullets in the 500/416?

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill- In the 500/416 I loaded (and had pressure tested) Wooodleigh soft and solids (410grn) and Swift 400grn.

I have never been 100% comfortable with the Woodleigh as a PH's Bullet for Buff and wanted something that penetrated deeper.

The Swifts shot to point of aim and regulated at the same 2330fps as the woodleighs...but needed an extra 6grns of H1000 to get there. (I was using H1000 at the time as per Krieghoff advice)

In the .375 FL I have 4 loads- Woodleigh Solids, Swift A frame and Oryx - all loaded to 2400fps. They regulate. I have some Woodleigh 235grn at 2700fps that also regulate. Again, the Swifts use more powder than the Oryx or the steel jacketed Woodleigh to reach 2400fps and do not do so within CIP pressure using MRP powder (but only just, like I am not going to worry about it)

I shoot alot of woodleigh softs in practice- I think they are as 'soft/kind on the barrel as the Oryx and easily reach 2400fps within pressure.

NB- Never actually killed anything with either double!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norsk

Lots of folk in Europe have access to MRP and the same stuff sold by Rotweill under a different name. Also Wimis 150 and IMR 4831 are smade to the same general spec and RL19 appears pretty similar as well- certainly close enough for a good handloader to cross reference safely

all data is usefull!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
104 grain Norma 204, 500 grain Woodleigh SP

2000 fps and regulates (dissapointing speed)

temperature was -18 celcius so may be a little faster in tropical temperatures.

Have not gotten hold of MRP yet...

By the way what kind of fps increase should I expect going from -18 to +30-40 degrees celcius? I read around 2.5 fps per degree C increase for 308 win (With average sensitive powder). Should I expect 100-150 fps increase going from frozen Norway to africa with .470 Nitro? If so perhaps the load I am using is ok...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MRP is very temperature stable and 204 isn't bad, I suspect you will not see more than a 50fps increase.

What does Norma factory ammo do out of your rifle and does it regulate? I Chronoed some in Zim this december (500grn Soft) and it was right on at 2145fps out of a heym.

Also, not all chronographs tell the truth when the temperature falls....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Posted 21 January 2013 16:21

112 grain Norma MRP
500 grain Woodleigh SP
= 2140 fps (-8 Celcius temp).

Shots touching at 55 yards (.3 inch Group)
Crosses 3 inches at 75 yards
5 inches (L-R) at 100 yards

Is this acceptable (crossing this fast) or should I try to reduce crossing by lowering velocity?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well....what chronograph do you have- we have seen very odd readings from a chrony when temp falls below 0

what are the light conditions- both CED and Chrony's give different reading under different light conditions.

5" at 100m? Why worry - the Lee enfields that we grew up with as our standard rifles were never capable of better than 4" at 100 and we all thought that was fine- the game seems to have died just as readily then as now when sub MOA rifle are touted as 'the norm'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
An old Chrony chronograph (beta). Probably inaccurate...

112 grains MRP shooting offhand at 100 regulates perfectly. 3-4 inch Groups. Im using iron sights (ghost ring) and most of the spread is probably me Smiler