New
Find
Notify
Tools

iron sight options?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am soliciting opinions on sighting options for doubles. You guys have helped me resolve several issues with my Searcy BSS 470, so here goes.
At 52, I find open sights increasingly problematic. I have been using Decot reverse bifocal shooting glasses, and they help. Never the less, I am simply not confidant enough with express sights to make a critical shot, especially with limited time. I've seen some postings about ghost ring sights, and the idea intrigues me. Questions:
What apperture/front post are most appropriate?
What manufacturers should I be checking out?
Any rifle mods other than drilling and tapping? I have NECG express sights currently.

I really am resistant to scoping it, but was also wondering what could be done to apply Tally bases. If I just drill and tap, will the scope sit too high for good shooting position and fast aquisition? Can the quarter rib be modified to accept Talley dettachable rings without adding mounts? I have an OK local smith, but this seems specialized enough to send the gun out. Any suggestions as to shops?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:
I am soliciting opinions on sighting options for doubles. You guys have helped me resolve several issues with my Searcy BSS 470, so here goes.
At 52, I find open sights increasingly problematic. I have been using Decot reverse bifocal shooting glasses, and they help. Never the less, I am simply not confidant enough with express sights to make a critical shot, especially with limited time. I've seen some postings about ghost ring sights, and the idea intrigues me. Questions:
What apperture/front post are most appropriate?
What manufacturers should I be checking out?
Any rifle mods other than drilling and tapping? I have NECG express sights currently.

I really am resistant to scoping it, but was also wondering what could be done to apply Tally bases. If I just drill and tap, will the scope sit too high for good shooting position and fast aquisition? Can the quarter rib be modified to accept Talley dettachable rings without adding mounts? I have an OK local smith, but this seems specialized enough to send the gun out. Any suggestions as to shops?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Well I guess I just got lucky buying a gun from Butch (Searcy) or was an a$$hole enough that Butch caved in and machined the quarter rib to accept a (modified) Tally peep sight before it was assembled. It might also be that Butch just happens to be one hell of a nice guy clap

I don't know what is possible in your case now, but if it was me I'd give Butch a call. I'm 64 and I REALLY understand about the thought of using an "express" sight with my eyes on dangerous game.

The peep is GREAT for me, fast and accurate jumping

Now if I can just scrape up the money to be able to take it to Africa...

Hope this helps.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send the rifle to Butch for any sight modifications.

I've long been a proponent of aperature sights, especialy for geezers. My preference is about an .090 sourdough front with about a .200 aperature. Dimensions are approximate, this isn't aerospace. An old friend told me that his eyesight was so bad that he could no longer shoot an iron sighted gun. I took a 22 rifle with aperature sights, and set up a target at 60 yards. The aperature was removed, resulting in a ghost ring. It took some coaxing to get him to ignore the the aperature, just look through it. It was harder to get him to let the target go out of focus. Focus on the front sight, let the target blur. Within an hour, he was consistantly putting 5 shots in less than 1 1/2 inches.

This got me thinking. 35 to 40 years ago I shot iron sights quite well. Since then I've only used scopes. I would pick up an iron sighted rifle and proclaim that my old eyes wern't up to the task. How did the old boys of previous generations shoot with those little tiny sights seen on their rifles? Time to find out. I used a pre war Mauser repeating 22. It has partridge sights, with a tangent rear. For the past 3 months I have averaged over 200 rounds a week at 100 yards, offhand. I shot at dirt clods against a bank, where I could see the bullet strikes. The results? A rabbit at 100 yards is in serious trouble. My conclusions: I, and many of others, have forgotten how to shoot with iron sights. We have become so used to the single plane sighting with a scope, where everything is in focus, that we have forgotten to ignore the out of focus parts when using iron sights. At 65 years of age, I can once again shoot irons.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nopride2:
We have become so used to the single plane sighting with a scope, where everything is in focus, that we have forgotten to ignore the out of focus parts when using iron sights. At 65 years of age, I can once again shoot irons.

Dave

Great post Dave I believe you hit it on the nail head, IMO it's not a matter of a blurred rear site as much as it is getting used to a blurred rear site and shooting open sites over and over till you know that the front site is going where you point it. Heavy double rifle and dangerous game equate to 60-80 yds maximum IMO. If one truly needs to go with the peep the SX peep is beefy and would be extremely easy to put on any double, less machine work and easier than the talley which I think is not as strong. The peep is still the quickest sight on target available, if tradition is not an issue it's a great choice. Oh, buy the way Marty I have half century old eyes.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm 63 and have been having the same problem. On several of my doubles, I've replaced the front sight with the Hi-Viz Fibre-Optic rifle sight which is available from Brownells. It fits a standard 3/8" dovetail, comes in 4 different heights, and comes with 6 easily interchangeable inserts, 3 red and 3 green, in different diameters. With the largest red insert I shoot the guns very well, even in twilight. You MUST have a window hood over them tho because they're a lot more fragile than an all metal sight.

Posts: 386 | Location: Oshawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
put a claw mounted scope on it - you will never regret it. this is the best mounting system for a double rifle - period !

and get a "night sight" front - use the large white bead all the time.

you may want to try moving the rear sight forward. to test this remove sight and make a "replacement " out of cardboard and tape it on the rib at various positions to see how it works for you.

i think the guys are right about not enough practice with open sights.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not relating to doubles, however, last month while in Zim I took my sight of my 375 H&H Winchester Mod 70 and used the Griffin & Howe express sights and hit where I was aiming up to about 95 yds as quickly as I could use a scope. I am 65 and wear bifocals.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is an update on my previous post. Last Saturday I was hunting deer with my 1890's A&N 577 2 3/4" BPE. I know I was undergunned, but was relying on marksmanship to prevail. I spotted a small whitetail doe looking at me over it's shoulder at about 100-120 yards. As I was raising the rifle and cocking the right hammer, the deer bolted heading for the brush about 10 yards away. I recall the front bead swinging through about the location of the last rib when I fired. As usual when shooting game, the shot seemed rather quiet with no recoil. I tracked a blood trail for about 70 yards and found a dead deer. The 520 gr. bullet had broke the two last ribs on the left side, passed through the right lung and, exited ahead of the right front shoulder. I was only aware of the front bead when I shot, in fact, it felt more like I was using a shotgun. This hunt was particularly satisfying because of relearning to shoot iron sights and the two years I spent getting this rifle to perform.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
way to go Dave!!!!!

DRSS

Posts: 1155 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote