THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Chapuis, What have I done wrong?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis, What have I done wrong?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
All of a sudden when I open the action on my UGEX 9.3x74 the locking bolt doesn't stay retracted and the lever comes back to center after it is opened. To close the action I have to hold the lever open. I'm not afraid to work on a rifle but without some kind of drawing or schematic I'm not sure what to look for. Is there a common cause for my problem?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob

First if you do not press the lever all the way open it will not stay open.

If you are, then look and see if there is a little "bump" sticking out of the front of the action right between the barrels.

When you press the lever all the way over, it should stay all the way over, this button should be sticking out.

When you close the barrels they press on this little button and it releases the lever, and thus the locking lugs.

If thisa button does not stay out there is something wrong.

I would contact JJ Perodeau at Champlin Arms.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, The button is not sticking out. I'm assuming it is spring loaded. The rifle is only a couple of months old with about 400 rounds through it. (It was imported by WLM but I bought it from another shop so WLM isn't interested in me.) I've seen new shotguns with a few metal shavings inside that can hang things. Think I'll try a little solvent sprayed in and see if something loosens before I start spending more money on it.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Okay that didn't help. The button is not under any spring tension; it just moves in and out loosely so there is obviously a spring that isn't pushing on something or is hung up.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Bob - did you ever get this problem corrected? I just had the same issue with my Chapuis.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mang, There was a tiny metal shaving jammed in the plunger hole in the top lever. You have to take the receiver all the way apart to get to it. Once I got it apart it took about 10 seconds to clear it. PM me if you want some tips on taking it apart and getting it back together. Bob

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob - I think I will have my gunsmith do the disassembly.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Sub:

I am curious. Does Searcy build a 9,3X74R?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Yes, Butch Searcy has built a few 9.3x74Rs. They are exquisite! I have one of his single shots stalking rifles in 9.3x74R as well.
Mangwana