New
Find
Notify
Tools

Regulation question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Test firing a double I see the barrels are regulated one over the other vs side by side is this normal? Older english gun. Factory Hornady loads.

Also with factory hornady loads seems hard to break open after firing. Its an 11 1/2 lb pretty heavy duty gun with very tight lockup. In the inspection phase

Thanks

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2855 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Has this gun been re-regulated with Hornady ammo? I have to tell you that Hornady ammo is not consistent in double rifles if produced before 2018,I have seen this first hand in my 450-400 Heym,another poster's here same caliber & most recently a brand new Westley 470 that was regulated with Hornady,here is something that was posted on another forum----

"The main problem with a double rifle chambered in 416 Rigby is that it is not a standard double gun round like 450/400 NE. And your gun was regulated with Hornady ammo. Hence the problem. Per my personal conversations with management at Hornady , they keep several different sets of load data that they may load their ammo with depending on powder and primer supplies. They will load it to the same velocity every time, which may work good enough for bolt guns but is a problem for doubles. So from lot to lot with 416 Rigby it may or may not regulate. Your best bet shooting this gun is to use handloads. Hornady just recently realized the problem with double rifle ammo and now only produce the ammo in the original primer and powder load starting in 2018. I have done extensive hand loading for double. Generally increasing the charge will bring the group in tighter and in some cases will cause it to cross. Changing powders can open up or shrink the group."

The gun being hard to open could be a problem or is just a little tight after being worked on,you will need an inspection by a good DR smith.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont' think so. Its a 470 brand new ammo. Shoots pretty good just never seen )or don't know enough) the vertical regulation. Guns breaks fine its just after shooting gotta smack down on the barrels

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
So what is not to like?

Simson Suhl .405 WCF DR regulated with factory Hornady 300 grain ammo at 2225 fps.

2 shots from each barrel in one inch at 50 yards.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Typically,
SxS guns are attempted to be regulated SxS
while O/U guns are attempted to be regulated O/U.

If a SxS gun regulates to a very consistent grouping O/U
it will still be sent out for sale in most situations

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Distance? Looks pretty good to me.

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1117 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Thanks Hogbreath.
The range for that target was 50 yards.
Mine is a hunting rifle and so far it has put down everything fired at.
The game appears not to notice whether the bullets are neither perfectly side by side nor over under.
With my old age eyes, having a one inch group is quite an accomplishment. Smiler

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I did a 2 inch and a 3 inch first time I shot it. Should get better with practice.

White Mountains Arizona