New
Find
Notify
Tools

A purchase I am considering
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I saw this piece in a shop last week, and I find my thoughts wandering back to it.
http://www.auctionzip.com/afli...ref=1328856EEB&seq=2
The 348 is a cartridge I've always liked, seems like a natural for a double. This combo would work pretty much for anything that walks or flies in North America.
I don't really know anything about the maker. The gun is quite beautiful. I haven't yet tried to negotiate a price, since I am not yet serious about buying it. I can see what the gun sold for last year ($14373 + buyer's premium) so I have a starting point to be comfortable with.
I am just looking for your thoughts on the desirability/quality/utility of the gun. Good investment or not?
Pretty amazing what you can come up with in a Google search. I am guessing this was a custom order, with the initials inlaid on the trigger guard. One of a kind, possibly.
How does a double set trigger work on a double gun?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
That's a purity gun! Seems like the estimated price might be a little high. If you could get it in the 10K range, I think you would be in the money!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice gun and useful.

Good investment ?

I doubt it but that is my HO.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I thought I could have bought it for $10,000 I would be downstairs fondling it and oiling it!
The guy is asking $23,500. Since I can see he has about $17,000 into it, he has some room. I'm just not sure how serious I am about it at these price levels.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I thought from the site he was estimating $12,500. I wouldn't be a buyer above 10K. did you get a close look at the pics. The finish looks to be crazing and there are some chips in the stock. I think you could find way more gun for the money.

At 17K you could get into some better investment grade guns that will hold their value better than some of these lesser known makers.

Just my opinion and I'm wrong more than I'm right...

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Marty, if I was looking for something in the $20K range in a caliber that would be good for North American hunting, I would start looking at one of these. Certainly the Rigby and the Holland will do a far better job of holding value over time:

Rigby .350 #2:

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2441

Holland .303 Nitro:

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2568

Borovnik .375 H&H:

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2426

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
I believe you are right. As much as I liked the rifle I saw, I just am not comfortable with the price level.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marty:

How does a double set trigger work on a double gun?

That is a very nice looking rifle, combination. If it is not just a shotgun conversion, it may well be worth the price.

The trigger is not a double set trigger, but a double trigger with the front trigger being a set trigger. This is a standard pull weight trigger that when pushed forward it becomes a hair trigger but only fires the right barrel. the back trigger is not set, and only fires the left barrel. If you buy it, please heed this warning: Never fire the back trigger with the front trigger "SET". what you will get is both barrels firing at the same time!
.......................................... jumping

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Borovnik .375 H&H:

http://www.champlinarms.com/De...StyleID=3&GunID=2426

I've never heard of Borovnik rifles, but I think I'm in love with this rifle. It's beautiful. Now if they would only sell it to me for half the listed price.

rotflmo

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ludwig Borovnik was or is one of the gunhouses in Ferlach, Austria. Nice stuff! I owned a Borovnik O/U 375 at one time. I see it's now at Connecticut Shotgun for sale at $26,500.

Posts: 20164 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote