THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Surplus 50 BMG bullets in 500NE ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus 50 BMG bullets in 500NE ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted
Anyone used these (647 grains) for plinking, fun shooting, etc? At reasonable/low velocity, are they safe on the bore, any pressure problems, stable, reasonably accurate, etc?
I single load them in my 500A2, wondering about using them in a double.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alaskaman11
posted Hide Post
does the 500 have a fast enough twist to stabilize a bullet with that high of a BC?

quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
Anyone used these (647 grains) for plinking, fun shooting, etc? At reasonable/low velocity, are they safe on the bore, any pressure problems, stable, reasonably accurate, etc?
I single load them in my 500A2, wondering about using them in a double.

Double Rifles, This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not as clumsy or random as bolt rifle. An elegant weapon for a more civilized age.

DRSS
Chapuis 9.3x74R
NRA Life Member

Posts: 293 | Location: Anchorage Alaska | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree, I always thought they were too long.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Probably the biggest problem, think I'll try them anyway.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For what it's worth, my one data point is from seeing several bullets that had shed the gilding metal after being fired thru one of our machine guns. The core was what seemed to be roughly machined hardened steel.

This was in 1967 and the ammo may have been armor piercing. I've no idea if all the .50 cal bullets are constructed that way, but the core sure wouldn't flow the way lead or copper does under pressure. The thin barrels of a double might be an issue.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The twist ain't the problem the weight and regulation is going to be the problem.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Your experience with 50 BMG bullets; if they had a steel core, they were indeed, AP, API, or APT, or APIT bullets. All carry a roughly machined, hardened steel core. However, that is surrounded by a lead sheath, which is in turn, covered by a copper jacket. Most combat ammo is issued as Five Armor Piercing Incendiary to ONE AP-Tracer. There are other rounds of course. All BMG bullets are not constructed that way, standard ball ammo is just lead and copper. Any bmg bullet will be easier on a bore than some DR solids. However, I, personally, would only shoot ball from a DR if I had a .500.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote