Find
Notify
Tools

Traveling With a Double
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted
What's the best/safest-for-the-gun method of traveling with your double? Break it down and carry in a attache' style case or carry put together in a regular airline approved rifle case? Do you remove the scope?

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd do it the same way I travel with a shotgun. Broken down in a fitted case and I'd try to find a case that had storage for the barrels with the forend on...less chance of breaking that way. I would 100% remove the scople (assuming it's easily detached and will go back to zero) and seperate compartment for the scope would also be nice.

Take a look at the Americase line of cases...absolutely the best there is.

This is what I would use.
http://www.americase.com/pages/order/4017.shtml

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I stick mine in my Tuffpak with other guns. They all travel in there just fine.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I say break it down and put it in a pelican case. It's then surrounded on all sides by at least 2" of foam and it can't slide around.

I won't get into the tuff-pak debate - nor do I want to start one - but I can tell you that a regular poster here recently had the stock on his double broken in a tuff-pak. CRYBABY CRYBABY

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just took mine to Africa in a Browning Travel Vault....sold also under a few other names. I also had in the same case a CZ 9.3 with scope. This is the one where you cut out the foam piece in the middle so it "fits" the rifle(s). No dings, scratches or anything....and the scope was dead on.

I'm not switching.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DennisHP
posted Hide Post
I've got a Pelican double rifle case with the cutouts. It's been on a few safari's without any problems with it or the rifles it's carried. Sounds like it'll be fine for the double.

Posts: 3931 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 27 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have done it both ways. The safest way is to put it in a break down case that will fit into a hard regular suit case surronded by clothes. No one knows it is there and it means only one bag so you can carry an extera bag or an extra gun case with two more rifles or a rifle and a shotgun.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
always broken down. long cases are long "levers"that can do a grest job breaking stocks.

i opt for the americase - but if you buy one get it with the cordura cover.... it protects the case.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ALWAYS BROKEN DOWN

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have put my Searcy in a Boyt breakdown case in a tuff-pak. It is held in place with other gear, I've never had a problem. It doesn't take up much room this way, so as a side benefit, room for maybe another pair of boots or some such.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Broken down in a Americase.

Posts: 395 | Location: West Coast | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i usually travel with a pair of doubles, broken down, scopes off and put into a double sided case thats only something like 32" long. then i stick the case into a hockey bag. coming through the baggage line it doesn't appear to be anything but hockey equipment and the handlers haven't even scratched the case yet (yet). most of the time it even comes into the regular baggage line instead of the gun line.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
I purchased and used the TuffPak take down case for my trip to Mozambique this year.

The rifles were broken down and each half was in it's own soft case.

The case came through with the regular baggage at each destination as no one suspected it was a rifle case. Good thing as far as I was concerned.

The soft cases protected the rifles well and there was room for packing soft "incidentals" for further cushioning.

Worked well and I liked the wheels and extension handle for maneuvering around airports.

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 681 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote