New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis .375 Flanged
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello! After haveing read every African hunting book I can get my hands on and buying a ruger no.1 in .450-400 I would like a useable double for North American big game and Africa if I can ever sell my restaurant. I think the .375 flanged is my best bet.
Anyone here have one? I only see the o/u in this caliber.
Thanks for the advice.
Colin

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Welcome; you can't go wrong with the 450-400; .375 for Africa? Minimum for DG, but doable. I would just stick with 450-400, which I did, having both the #1 and a Krieg.
For NA only, then, yes, the 375 FL.
O/U; yuck. no. don't go there.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked the .375 flanged for several reasons, mostly I could use it a lot here and then also use it for plains game if I made it to Africa.
The ruger no.1 is just too light for the caliber, and the sight system leaves a lot to be desired. The .375's are also $2,000 cheaper.
I'd love to find one I could put on layaway.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For plains game; yes, 375. I put a merc brake in the butt of my #1 450-400; makes it quite tame. And I do use a scope on it.
I would consider a 9.3; practically the same as the 375 and readily available. Nice bullet and brass selection now, too. I have owned several of them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 9.3 doubles can be had in the $5K range, and ammunition is much more available and cheaper than 375 FL. Work up loads for both the 232gr and 286gr bullets, and hunt everything from Deer to Eland.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a set of 375 Flanged Magnum barrels with my 500/450. Has scope as well.

Very nice and little recoil.

Good range of projectiles too.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I asked about a set of extra barrels for my K gun in 375; they wanted more for the set of barrels than a good used rifle cost. So, I did not get them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Searcy 375 FL double with QD scope mounts and it's a great combo. Very accurate out to 200 yds (furthest I've shoot it). I agree that a 9.3 is most of a 375, but something about the 375 that makes me smile. 235 gr up to 300 gr bullets can be loaded to same POI so ready for whitetail up to whatever.

G

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just say it out loud, very slowly. Holland's three-seven-five...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Garby: Butch is working on one for me. Big Grin Can't wait to get it and shoot it! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just say it out loud, very slowly. Holland's three-seven-five...

Although it isn't a flanged cartridge, I don't have any problem with a 375 H&H in a DR. A bit more power than the FL, and ammo much cheaper and available anywhere. All the major manufacturers of doubles seem to offer the 375 H&H, and they usually sell at a lower price-point than the NE calibers.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have one in a Heym with 1-4 scope in claws. It's a tack driver. It took probably three hundred rounds or so to find a couple of good regulating loads. I will have to pull out some targets from my files. I have it shooting TSX and A-frames at under 1.5" 4 shot groups at 100. Seams I could not get the CEB's to do anything but did get a decent load I believe about 2.5" at 100 yards with a Northfork solid.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Here are the loads I settled on.

I did have a good load for North Fork Solids but I would need to verify the data before a post. If my Chronograph slip was correct on them I sure was pushing them pretty damn fast.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Here are the loads I settled on.

I did have a good load for North Fork Solids but I would need to verify the data before a post. If my Chronograph slip was correct on them I sure was pushing them pretty damn fast.

Good shooting, Mac!

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
That's off a bench. Not that good off sticks...haha

Mac

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great groups, Mac. Are those at 100 yards with iron sights?

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no. 100 yards, yes....but with a 1-4x scope.

Mac

One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Will have to get some R 17 and loads some.
My 375 Heym with 1.7-10 Swaro recently arrived

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Currently RL 17 is one of the easier powders to find online too.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac, great shooting and loads. Will try some Re17. I was recommended Re15 but after seeing those groups!

Have only been able to buy Re powders last few months, after a year of trying.

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I will need to pull the file again. But I am a huge RL15 fan, but I just could not make it happen with this rifle. Gave up on it with this rifle at about the two hundredth round. Never could get the groups to converge.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am wondering where you shoot your double Ina SLC?

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Usually do most of my shooting at Lake Front Duck Club or New State Duck Club. Sometimes out in the west desert if I am combining it with some SXS riding.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mac I wouldn't mind seeing some of your loads with velocities for the Reloader powders if you can dig them up please?

Cheers,

Chris

DRSS

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rockdoc:
Mac I wouldn't mind seeing some of your loads with velocities for the Reloader powders if you can dig them up please?

Cheers,

Chris

More than what I show above? If you notice those targets have the Oehler printout stapled to them on the left side.

If you want more let me know what you are wanting and I will go through this rifles file. It is about 2" thick full of targets like above layout.

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Mac, sorry, that information presented is excellent. I was thinking more of the Re15 loads.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS