Find
Notify
Tools

Ultra Bore Question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Taylor says a head shot with 600 or a 577 will knock and elephant out even if the brain is missed. Anybody ever see such a thing?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Dave, all three of my elephant have had a close miss to the brain with the 500NE. All three fell in their tracks and were out cold. All three required a follow up shot. Yes, a close CNS miss with a large bore rifle will knock them out, most of the time, not always. According to Buzz, and hopefully I'm not putting words in his mouth but he stated on his first elephant hunting DVD, that there is more room to miss on Cows than on Bulls. My experience to date has been 1 Bull and 2 Cows. Looking to at least double that in the next 9 months.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
A little more on your original question Dave, I think I remember Taylor stating the ultra bores would knock an elephant out for 30 minutes with a missed brain shot.

NOPE! That ain't going to work. It might knock them down temporarily, long enough to stop a charge and let you move away, but they'll be trying to get up pretty quickly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, if you were to shoot an Elephant with a 577, it would be a race to see who regained consciousness first, you or the Elephant :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know...."Damn you, Biebs" !!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
:-)

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
clap

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PD999
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
... it would be a race to see who regained consciousness first, you or the Elephant

Big Grin

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition” ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 1231 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 April 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Dave - my experience was down but not out.

Biebs - I keep telling you that the buttstock goes on your shoulder, not your forehead.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife suggested the forehead hold...she said the stock should be held firmly against the point of greatest resistance...smart girl :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A hit in the head with a 460 Weatherby with 7,504 ft lbs ought to be the equal of a strong sleeping pill in the ele world, and it's lighter to carry than the ultra heavies...but watch that muzzle break.

..yeah, I know, it's supposed to be double rifles..

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Never used the muzzle brake on no.e except on the bench but your right about being lighter. Never found the weight to be a problem either, though regardless of the miles trekked through the African sands.

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Shack, no problem there; you could save the day. Dave would still be knocked out, Doc would be on the ground after doubling his 600 (again!!!), and with your 460 bee bolt rifle, you'd still be able to hit the Elephant when he got outside 50 yards :-)

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Shack, no problem there; you could save the day. Dave would still be knocked out, Doc would be on the ground after doubling his 600 (again!!!), and with your 460 bee bolt rifle, you'd still be able to hit the Elephant when he got outside 50 yards :-)

That's why I strap a coil spring to my back and practice reloading in the supine position. By the time I rebound upright I'm recharged and doing it all over again. tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
With the 460 I wouldn't wait to 50 yds. I'd order a broadsides as soon as fire control radar says we got ele on the horizon...

..somebody once wrote what happens on three shots with the 460, maybe Capstick, I don't know...first shot, a bloody nose, another shot, you throw up, and I forget the third..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
While it's been spoken to above, I would think that near miss brain shot would knock an elephant down or out. I am curious though how often it would actualy be a fatal shot. While it's apples and oranges and different body parts, I've toasted both an elk and a gemsbok with neck shots that missed the spine by 4 inches. The elk with a 7.62x54R and the gemsok with a .270. And they were glorious moments forever etched into my mind, and my kids as well as they were in tow.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fo Fiddy NE:
While it's been spoken to above, I would think that near miss brain shot would knock an elephant down or out. I am curious though how often it would actualy be a fatal shot.

Good question. From my limited experience stated above, 1 would have been fatal (cow) and the other 2 (Bull and Cow) would have gotten up without follow up shots.

The important point however, with elephant, that close CNS miss is LIKELY, not guaranteed, to knock it down or out, stopping the charge and thereby removing the immediate threat. Then you can move away from the action or into position to pay the insurance.

This applies to elephant only. On buffalo, I'm not convinced a close CNS miss with anything short of a 16" gun off a battleship will stop a charge. Totally different constitutions between those two animals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Taylor recommended the 600 and 577 for elephant and rhino only. Does that sound reasonable?

And has anyone here shot a rhino? Are they tougher to knock out than buffalo?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think anything is tougher to kill than an alert or angry Cape Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think anything is tougher to kill than an alert or angry Cape Buffalo.

The past few months as posted in the African Big Game Hunting forum sure as heck support that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose not enough rhino action goes on to know..