New
Find
Notify
Tools

Docter Optic/Heym question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Purchased a Dr Optic red dot for my Heym as well as the Heym mount. Couple of questions:

Should there be a rubber gasket of some sort that goes between the mount and the base of the red dot?
Found a short roll pin when I opened both packages that is about 3/8th of an inch long. No explanation as to what this pin is for. Any ideas?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
On all mine yes there is a rubber gasket between base and Dr Optic.

Don't know about the rollpin, could depend on what type base you have.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The roll pin should fit in he bottom of the mount. It is what protrudes into the milled slot on the top of your quarter rib. I don't remember a rubber gasket on either of mine but I could be wrong.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
I do use the gaskets.
Should help with water sealing in the rain. (Gasp)

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Piss poor design if you ask me. Have to remove the damn thing from the mount to change the battery and worse yet there is no way to turn it off. Add to the fact the bottom of the sight is not even covered.
The Burris Fast Fire III is twice the sight for half the cost.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Doctor pioneered this type of compact sights.

Burris is almost a direct copy of the Doctor.
(even down to the same mounting plates, you may put the Burris on the plate you have for your Heym)
I own-Doctors, Burris, Trijicon, Leopold (delta) and C-Mores.

I have owned all three generations of the Doctor.
The DoctorIII is the best small red dot made-IMHO.
The battery -even left continuously- on will last over a year.
I change mine once a year.

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The DoctorIII is the best small red dot made-IMHO.

!!!
:-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fast Fire III:
1. Entire sight is enclosed and even has a bottomSmiler
2. Light intensity can be changed by the user
3. Sight can be turned off when not being used
4. Battery is removed from the top so you don't have to remove the sight to change it.
5. Amazon price is $216

Docter Optic:
1. Base of the sight is open exposing the internals and wasn't even shipped with a rubber gasket to keep out water or debris
2. Light intensity is automatically changed depending on ambient light. Not sure how this works yet or whether this is a + or -.
3. Sight has to be removed to changed the battery.
4. Have to put a cover on the sight to basically turn it off.
5. Cost $415 from the distributor in Florida.

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
All my big bore rifles have Docter Optic sights,five trips to Africa & lots of range time,absolutely zero problems,the first sight I paid about &450,the next two I paid $250 each,you gotta look around to find the better price.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
No explanation as to what this pin is for. Any ideas?

The pin is a recoil-lug that sits in the mating lug picket cut into the top of the rib. You can position the mount in one of two ways: 1) with the thumb-wheel on the left-hand side of the rifle (for a left-hander) or 2) with the thumb-wheel on the right, etc...

Which side you want the thumb-wheel on dictates which hole you insert the pin into.

Give me a call if you need any help.

As for the Dr sights, The version 2 didn't come with a gasket, but the version 3 does. Apply it to the base. My assumption is that they include them to keep dust/moisture from getting between the sight and the base.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris, Seems like someone sold me some old stock since I just purchased this sight last month. When did version III hit the streets?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:
All my big bore rifles have Docter Optic sights,five trips to Africa & lots of range time,absolutely zero problems,the first sight I paid about &450,the next two I paid $250 each,you gotta look around to find the better price.

Where did you buy them for $250?

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill73:

Where did you buy them for $250?

I have two of them for my heyms. SWFA still has them for $250. They have had them for that price for a couple years now. I think they are the version II though. My two have been flawless.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote