Find
Notify
Tools

Houston Range Trip
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
Today Todd Williams, Rusty Knight and I met at the range to shoot, ogle and generally enjoy playing with some double rifles. While we wish the weather would have been a little more cooperative, it was a typical summer morning in Houston. Always good to spend good time with good people regardless of the weather.

A pretty impressive array of firepower on the rack, from left to right:

• Hollis .450/.400
  • Lang .400/.360
  • Manton .450/.400
  • Holland .500/.465
  • Boswell .500
  • Searcy .577
  • Verney Carron .500
  • Chapuis 9.3x74R

Yes, it's true. If you look close it is Todd Williams shooting a Blaser. He did ask to wash his hands afterwards.

Mike
  •  
    Posts: 21381 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of D R Hunter
    posted Hide Post
    I am sure you had a very enjoyable outing! I've
    attended a few similiar get-togethers and each
    time came away smiling for the rest of the day
    and into bed!

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Had a great time with Mike and got to meet Todd!
    It is always a blessing to shoot with friends!
    I'm very happy to report that I got to shoot Mike's Holland and Holland 500/465.

Rusty
    We Band of Brothers!
    DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
    ----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
    "I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
    "for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
    Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of D R Hunter
    posted Hide Post
    By Rusty

"...Mike's Holland and Holland 500/465."

A treasure, no doubt, says I... tu2

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    In the lower right corner of the second photo there appears to be some dangerous critter just coming into view. It appears to be coming past the photographer and charging Todd. Did he see it in time to stop the charge? Is he OK?

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
    – Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    Mike and Rusty,

Guys, I had a great time. Thanks for bringing out those vintage doubles. Mucho fun!! I enjoyed the shooting and the company very much. You fellas have some nice and very good shooting rifles. Lots of history in those guns.

Very nice to meet you Rusty and put a face to the AR handle!! Hope we get to do it again some time.

I offered Mike a significant bribe to not post that pic with me and the Blaser! It's one of those "Moped" type things ya know!!! Wink Unfortunately, his ethics prevented him from taking the dirty money. At least he didn't get a picture of me riding in his Ford truck! That would have truly been devastating to my rep! sofa

Cheers boys! clap

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    OK Todd, tell us what you really think about the Blaser.

I will say after I shot one, I was hooked.

They are one of the most accurate, most reliable, most versitle rifles on the Planet.

What other rifle can go from 223 to 416 Rem Mag, including, 17 Mag, 22LR, 22 Mag, and 28 Ga shotgun???

Personally I have used the 22LR and the 28Ga shotgun quite a bit...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    A very impressive lineup of doubles. Looks like you guy's had a lot of fun.

That photo really shows the difference in forend styling, shape and length between the classic British double and the American/European interperetation.

Thanks for posting

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of MJines
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:
    That photo really shows the difference in forend styling, shape and length between the classic British double and the American/European interperetation.

We were discussing the same thing at the range. Even on American and European doubles that sport a "splinter", like the VC and Searcy in the picture, they are twice the size or better than the true British splinter forends. Would be nice if some modern maker decided to really start putting a proper splinter forend on their rifles.

Mike

One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MJines:
    quote:
    Originally posted by Rhodes:

We were discussing the same thing at the range. Even on American and European doubles that sport a "splinter", like the VC and Searcy in the picture, they are twice the size or better than the true British splinter forends. Would be nice if some modern maker decided to really start putting a proper splinter forend on their rifles.

Yep, I completely agree. It was starkly obvious yesterday as to which rifles felt and balanced better in the hands. The vintage English guns were svelte and simply a pleasure to shoot, hold, and admire. I was also impressed with how well they are regulated. With all three shooters shooting into the same targets, with the same rifles and loads, we had one ragged hole more often than not. Those are some fine shooting rifles Mike and Rusty own.

Also, yesterday was the first time I've tried the Doctor Optic sight with a double. Rusty has it on his 450/400. That really is a nice set up. It's not traditional but once the eyes start to go, like mine have, it sure makes shooting accurately a lot easier.

One of Us
    Picture of BwanaCole
    posted Hide Post
    I am moving to Houston in December after 15 years of being an expat in the UK. I hope to join you guys at the range sometime!

Cheers from over here,

Cole

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
    ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Cole,
    We will be glad to have you "among us"! Give us a shout when you get to town.

Rusty
    We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
    "I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
    "for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
    Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of MJines
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BwanaCole:
    I am moving to Houston in December after 15 years of being an expat in the UK. I hope to join you guys at the range sometime!

We have just one rule, the new guy buys the drinks afterwards.

Mike

One of Us
    Picture of subsailor74
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by MJines:
    Today Todd Williams, Rusty Knight and I met at the range to shoot, ogle and generally enjoy playing with some double rifles. While we wish the weather would have been a little more cooperative, it was a typical summer morning in Houston. Always good to spend good time with good people regardless of the weather.

A pretty impressive array of firepower on the rack, from left to right:

• Hollis .450/.400
  • Lang .400/.360
  • Manton .450/.400
  • Holland .500/.465
  • Boswell .500
  • Searcy .577
  • Verney Carron .500
  • Chapuis 9.3x74R

Yes, it's true. If you look close it is Todd Williams shooting a Blaser. He did ask to wash his hands afterwards.

• 3 old Dagga Boys out for a day at the range shooting double rifles. It just doesn't get much better than that. I wish I could have been there to join you!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Todd, Oh Poor Todd. The shame. I always thought that you quibbled a bit too hard about the Blasers and now to see a picture of you coming out of the closet........ jumping Eeker And I bet the other guys pretended that it belonged to them to further your point. dancing
    Seriously, it looked like one hell of a range trip. Wish I could have been there.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
    Todd, Oh Poor Todd. The shame. I always thought that you quibbled a bit too hard about the Blasers and now to see a picture of you coming out of the closet........ jumping Eeker And I bet the other guys pretended that it belonged to them to further your point. dancing
    Seriously, it looked like one hell of a range trip. Wish I could have been there.

What are friends for Rickster? I figured I'd let Jines give you boys some fodder to play with! Just remember though, one of these days soon, all that reloading gear is gonna be bought and paid for in full! Big Grin

One of Us
    Picture of MJines
    posted Hide Post
    Just for the record, Todd shot it . . . but I did not say he enjoyed it.

He did refuse to engage in a speed shooting competition with it though, double versus Blaser. diggin

Mike

One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    He didn't want to lose the competition I suspect. Yes Todd, I know that the crap will hit the fan before too long. It's a good thing we all take this in good humor. We'll get you broke in yet.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    posted Hide Post
    Wish I coulda met up with you guys. Looks like you had a great time.

"If a man can't trust himself to carry a loaded rifle out of camp without risk of shooting somebody, then he has no business ever handling a rifle at all and should take up golf or tennis instead." John Taylor

Ruger Alaskan 416
    Ruger African 223

Posts: 336 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 29 March 2010Reply With Quote
    one of us
    posted Hide Post
    Looks like tons o fun!

Rusty you and my dad could have been identical twins back when he was your age! The resemblance is shocking!

One of Us
    Picture of Rusty
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks, Surestrike! I don't know if I should thank you or apologize to your dad! Big Grin

Rusty
    We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
    Picture of retreever
    posted Hide Post
    Todd you traitor, shame on you.

Mike animal

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
    One of Us
    Picture of Todd Williams
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by retreever:

Mike animal

What? For shooting the Blaser? sofa

Rest assured all, I'm no convert! My opinion of the Blaser rifles has not changed! barf

jumping

one of us
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Todd Williams:
    quote:
    Originally posted by retreever:

Mike animal

What? For shooting the Blaser? sofa

Rest assured all, I'm no convert! My opinion of the Blaser rifles has not changed! barf

jumping

Next thing you know he will be changing his AR handle to "straight pull".. Big Grin