Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WJ Jeffrey double rifle
 Login/Join

posted
I've recently acquired a Jeffrey double rifle(original condition)which I believe was made in 1916. I'm new to this forum but would appreciate any input from experienced double rifle shooters and collectors as yourselves.I don't have any ammo but was told by a local gun shop it's probably a .404? Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Doesn't it just figger? Smiler

Doubt it is 404. What does it day on the barrels? On the barrel flats?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nizak,

Are you located in the NW, SW, N.Central,

S.Central, NE or SE area of the USA? Depending,

you can travel with the rifle to certain

establishments and get solid info on it 1st hand.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GOOD FOR YOU !!!

TAKE A LOOK TO SEE IF IT HAS A RIM.
if it does its 450 jeffery most likely

the 404 is a rimless shell and there would be little pins in the extractors

post here all info written on the barrels, top and bottom.

400 will sort it out for you.

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
nizak,
What would be most helpful is the information that is stamped on the barrel flats. If you have the ability to take a picture of it and post it or email pictures to me, we can get it sorted out. Also the serial number, usually on the understrap of the grip.

Near the barrel loop (the metal tab where the forearm attaches there should be a 3 digit number stamped on the under rib. Please let me know what that is.

You may contact me directly at rkmojo@aol.com

In addition to this you can also request information from the current owner of the Jeffery records. I will get that information to you.

Most importantly do not attempt to fire the weapon unless you know exactly what the rifle is chambered for and the bore size. In some chamberings the bore size varies.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Info on the barrel reads:13 King Street St James St London.Serial #16411. What I could see by opening the gun was " Cordite 55" stamped on the underside of the barrel.The gun is quite heavy, I'm guessing it weighs 8 or 9 lbs.Also, it looks like it has "ejectors"that would pull the empty case out after it was fired. Thanks again for any help.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Me thinks it is a 450/400 regulated with the "tropical" load of 55 gr of Cordite behind a 400 grain bullet.....but as Rusty said, the barrel markings in their entirety will reveal all.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I took the barrel off and can more easily read it .CORDITE 55-400MAX. In smaller stamping above it says 400EX. I have found the serial # in 3 seperate places so far on the gun, they all match.The lift up sights on the barrel go from 200-500 in 100 increments.Engraving on each side of the receiver looks to be a buffalo.The finish isn't really a dark blued, it's more like a greyish black. I'm sure most of the original blueing is probably worn off.I may not be looking in the right spot for the 3 digit # that Rusty asked for, is it a # pertaining to the caliber? If so maybe the 400EX is what he meant. Thanks again

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The 3 digit number on the under rib near where the fore arm attaches to the barrels are usually small sometimes faint. The digits if they are there denote that the barreled action, indeed the whole rifle was manufactured by Leonard who made rifles for the trades and was a primary provider for Jeffery.
Since there is no length stamped on the flats the rifle was made prior to the Rules of '26.

The bores could be .408 or .411 caliber and need to be slugged to make sure.

If you can provide pictures this would be a great help.

Tell your friend, congratulations on his "New" double rifle!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Jeffery double that was marked in the same way as this one, 400EX, 55 grains cordite. It was a 450/400 3".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As an after thought, look at the extractor cut. If it is cut for the thick rim it is a 3" gun. The 3 1/4" used the thin rim. I may be wrong about this but I think Jeffery used the thick rim on the 3" to prevent 3" (with it's larger bullet diameter) from chambering in a 3 1/4" gun. The 3 1/4" would chamber and fire in my Jeffery 3".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rusty, I am unable to find the 3 digit number that you asked about, I will try to get pic's on here yet today. Unfortunatetly I will have to ask for help from my 13 year old son to do so, when it comes to computer use I am limited to pretty much what you see here.FWIW, I did have an individual tell me that he thought the manufacture date was 1916 from the serial #, but then again I do not know how much knowledge he really had on the subject.I do remember several years ago a family member(now deceased) used to speak about a gun he had and said it was worth around $3K, is this value possible?

posted Hide Post
Looking through some past posts on here I really haven't noticed much discussion on Jeffrey double rifles. Are these guns not very desireable as far as double rifles are concerned? Would they be considered more of a "run of the mill" double as opposed to many of the individually hand crafted brands? Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Absolute junk......I'll be more than happy....if in good shape....to take it off your hands for $500 so that you won't be burdened by such a piece. Big Grin

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
nizak,
Please, beware of Garby. He is trying to steal the rifle! Big Grin I'll give you $600.00 US sight unseen! Eeker

WJ Jeffery rifles for the most part are considered very good rifles. The value of the rifle your friend has depends mainly on how it looks on the outside (curb appeal), whether it is "On the face" barrels properly aligned tightly with the standing breech. Most importantly is the condition of the bores.

Most older rifles suffer from Cordite cutting or "frosting" of the bores just past the chambers. Rifling is hopefully crisp and sharp all through the bores? The wood needs to be in good condition and not oil soaked where the action and wood meet. Standing a double rifle barrels up allows oil to seep into the wood while standing.

A lot of things need to be considered before placing a value. If you are concerned please seek out a professional gunsmith who is knowledgeable about old British double rifles!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty. I would like to know if possible an accurate date of when this gun was manufactured. I have seen other Jeffery double rifles listed with serial #'s starting with 20_ _ _ that say 1907, the one I have is 16411, would there #'s be sequential regardless of caliber? I have been unable to contact the Co.(possibly new owner) to see if they could help me out. Thanks again for your time.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty....one thief certainly can spot another Cool.
Nizak....Rusty is spot on....the value of that rifle is dependant upon a number of things.
You don't post where you're from....but depending on that, the boys here on AR can recommend someone relatively close for you to converse with about the gun and it's condition/worth.
Of course you can always get rid of it for $500-$600.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

posted Hide Post
I live in MI., maybe someone could direct me to a somewhat local source of knowledge. Thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nizak,
It sounds to me like you have a Jeffery 450-400. It would be worth 3 to 5 thousand to me even if the condition is poor. I always need double rifle parts. If the condition is good it could bring considerably more.

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
shikarafar1, not going to hold you to a figure, but what would one be looking at if the gun was in "good" condition? I'm not trying to sound like I know what I'm talking about(because I don't)but I would feel that "good" would be a reasonable grade for this gun. When I look down the barrels the grooves seem to be very distiguishable as far as rifling. I am only making this statement from past experience as a machinist, and having an idea as to what they probably looked like when they were new. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
One thing that I might add, there is a bit if of "deterioration in the metal near the ejectors. A recent poster talked about the corrosive powder, this may very well be evidence of that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nizak,
Give me a call at 713-412-5816 and we can discuss the rifle.
John

Posts: 34 | Location: Hunt, Texas & Pagosa Springs Co. | Registered: 26 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
nizak, depending upon the condition of the rifle, if it was a "Best Quality" Rifle in great shape, it could be worth $10,000-15,000.

Once again only speculation on my part. Before you consider selling the rifle at least have it appraised by someone like JJ Parodeau of Champlin Firearms, Enid OK. Champlins, Enid OK.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Nizak,

Welcome to the board. According to the Jeffery Serial # table in Brown's book "London Gunmakers" your rifle was built between 1905-1907.

Here's a comp for you from Cabelas:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/community/gun...sp?hierarchyId=10473

Cabelas gets a little crazy with their prices so don't get too excited. I'd say a Jeffery 450/400 3" in excellant condition with great bores will bring in the high teens to low 20's+.

Hornady did all of us owners of 450/400 3"s a great favor by bringing our reasonably priced ammo.

I have the same gun built in 1913. They are fantastic doubles in the best all around cartridge available.

I'd love to see pictures of your gun.

Good Luck.

Posts: 1309 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
nizak:

If you have digital photos of the gun (or you can take photos), if you send them to me I will post them for all to see.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I will try to get photos available. Thank you to everyone who has shed light on the rifle. I have had it for almost 4 years and could never really find anybody who knew much about it.I guess you just have to know where to look.I may entertain the thought of selling the rifle in the coming months, if I do I will post here and if any intertested parties, I will give you a contact #. Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Just for chuckles, found a phone # for Jeffery +Co. called it, and to my surprise got an answer. Talk about getting a great deal of info in a matter of minutes, the gentleman who I spoke with was able to answer every ? I had.Would have never thought it could have been that easy.He said that many of that style gun(approx2500 made)would have been shipped to Calcutta, probably for tiger and lion hunting.H e also said that it was not the best caliber because many felt that it was too small for the more dangerous game.Some were special order but most of the 400/450 were manufactured and so sold to various retailers. FWIW.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
H e also said that it was not the best caliber because many felt that it was too small for the more dangerous game

Well, that should set off some fireworks. Smiler

popcorn

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19319 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nizak,

Add another welcome to the Board.

The Jeffery (est. 1888) name was bought by Paul Roberts in London. Some years ago Paul sold the old and venerable Irish gunmaker name, Rigby, to those folks from Paso Robles. You can take what he said seriously except that nobody in India was hunting lions, just tigers. Lions were hunted in Persia in historical times, but no longer exist that far East. In thick bush a larger caliber (.450 and up, and a 480 grain bullet and up) adds to effectiveness, apart from peace of mind...

The 450/400 is having a revival these days partly because the other smaller dangerous game cartridge, the .375 H&H flanged magnum, is hard to come by and expensive, and because we have a cultural tropism towards thinking bigger is better Wink .

Before you fire it, do as earlier posters suggested and have the rifle checked out by someone who knows doubles. They can do the measurements to determine bullet size (.408 or .411) and thin or Jeffery rim thickness.

My first double was a badly butchered Jeffery in .450/.400 done by a late South African known as "Silver Bill" from his penchant for buffing case coloring off to bare metal. I sold it at a loss. Yours sounds intact, and both a good place to put your money and magic to hunt with.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
www.schwandtclassicarms.com
Mike Schwandt - Owner
Portage, WI Ph# 608-742-8236
is reported to me as
being an honest man.
I don't think he's
terribly far from you.

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote