THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    ??? Regulating A Double Rifle ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

??? Regulating A Double Rifle ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
1st I don't own one --- YET but I'm getting close.

When talking about developing a load that will "match" the load used to regulate the barrels, the discussion focuses on matching velocities but what is really trying to be matched, as I understand it, is "the bullets time in the barrel" and that will depend on quite a few more factors than simple bullet weight and muzzle velocity.

With that in mind, has anyone ever used "Quik-Load" to try and find a compatiable load?

If so, I'd be curious how it did?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DB Bill:
1st I don't own one --- YET but I'm getting close.

When talking about developing a load that will "match" the load used to regulate the barrels, the discussion focuses on matching velocities but what is really trying to be matched, as I understand it, is "the bullets time in the barrel" and that will depend on quite a few more factors than simple bullet weight and muzzle velocity.

As a practical matter, no, not really. Sure, bearing surface and pressure curve play a role, but that's a given. It would be nice if we always knew what propellant was used in the factory ammo used for regulation, and could always buy the same propellant. But that's vitually never the case, and we're lucky when we can buy the same bullets.

At least with the rifles regulated with Cordite, we know what was used and have relatively well established substitutes for it. With current factory ammo, forget it. All of it is loaded with non-cannister grade propellants that you can't buy. Federal .470 is loaded with non-cannister grade RL 15 and a primer that isn't available in component form. Larger bore doubles built in the UK and Europe today are usually regulated with ammo from Kynamco or Wolfgang Romey. That stuff is loaded with blends of two or more non-cannister grade propellants. You're pretty much stuck with trial and error, using the Cordite equivalents as a rough guide.

quote:
With that in mind, has anyone ever used "Quik-Load" to try and find a compatiable load?

It isn't worthless, but I don't find it much more helpful than pressure tested data from a reloading manual. Keep in mind that Quick Load data can produce very different results in the real world.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're right about quik-load. I've found that case shape has almost as much impact as capacity.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote