Find
Notify
Tools

More range results
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I am still learning how to shoot my Chapuis 9,3 X 74R double. I got this one off classifieds from another member. It is my first double. So far I have had good luck with the longevity of the factory loaded Norma brass. I am up to 5 loadings and so far have no lost cases. I have 32 once fired cases and have since bought another 100 Norma non loaded cases. I also have 40 RWS virgin cases. Incidentally, the factory loaded Norma cases are about on average 3.5 grains heavier than the Norma virgin brass. All my shooting has been standing off of homemade shooting sticks with my butt leaning on the front of my bench for additional support. Until this week I have not tried to scope the rifle. I have tried Varget and IMR 4064 with the 4064 giving me much better results, as the Varget was crossing the shots. I originally shot my Oryx bullets that I bought with the rifle but since then I have been shooting the 286 gr Privi bullets as they are cheap and accurate. Most of my shooting with iron sights is at 50 meters or so on paper targets but I have also shot a few at a steel gong I have on my range from approx 115 yards. Recommendations from fellow board members had me looking for IMR4831 and H4831SC. Luckily I was able to get 8 lbs of H4831SC from Powder Valley. With this bullet and brass along with a CCI LRP, I am able to get 2300 fps with 68 grains of H4831SC with pretty decent groups for me and iron sights. Yesterday, I decided to scope the rifle. It came with a Leupold 1.75 x 6 with the mounts that have a dovetail in the front and a lever in the back. (not sure who makes it) I set the open barrel on sandbags at 25 yards and looked through the barrels at the target, then adjusted the crosshairs where they were pretty close to the target. 2 shots--adjusted scope, then moved to 50 meters. 2 shots--adjusted and moved to 100 meters. 2 shots, adjusted and shot 2 more. I only shoot it 8 times a day as I have my own range and would rather shoot it every day just a little rather than a long range session. I let the barrels cool completely between groups of 4 shots. I have also been getting my exercise and walking for an hour on my property while carrying the rifle. Today I was able to put the crosshairs on a young buck (practice!)while on my walk. The pic shows the second string. The first 4 shot group was good but I pulled to the right and had a flyer. The rifle is more accurate than I am as my crosshairs at 100 meters off of sticks are going all over the piece of tape I am using as a target. As you can see I had some crossover but I attribute this to my unsteady shooting rather than the rifle or load. Center to center on this group is approx 1.5 inches. Anyway, I am very satisfied and now need to move on to my Woodleigh bullets.

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Looks to me like your shooting is very good. 100 yards off sticks with a low power scope is not easy IMO and the target looks good I would say you are ready to go hunt. For what it is worth, the PRVI bullets are not as accurate as others in my Chapuis but do make for low cost shooting and I use them quite often. I even killed a pig or two with them in both 9.3 and 7mm size. They are soft but the pigs die!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote