THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Woodleigh Hydro-Barnes banded solids
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woodleigh Hydro-Barnes banded solids
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just noticed that the driving bands on the Woodleigh Hydro solids are more like the Barnes banded solids than the NF's or Gs custom's.

Are the new Woodleigh safe in modern DR's, if they are considered safe, why would the Barnes not be?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
I spoke to Geoff of Woodleigh about this and he feels there is no problem.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike cabala's had banded solids on sale this week end I got 15 505's and 1 in .474. Would you like to test them?

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
I deleted the post about hardness between the Hydro and NF. I remember the numbers were almost identical but I may have posted the wrong readings. I will check when I go to work. The point is they were almost identical.

JD check your PM/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't answer the bit about why Barnes aren't considered OK but the Woodleigh Hydros are fine in DR's.

Plenty over here have used them in DR's including H&H Royals and i even used them in my WR 500/465
to get some recoveries for Woodleigh.

I ony did it because Geoff from Woodleigh said it would be fine and I trust his judgement.

That's my HO.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
I can't answer the bit about why Barnes aren't considered OK but the Woodleigh Hydros are fine in DR's.

Plenty over here have used them in DR's including H&H Royals and i even used them in my WR 500/465
to get some recoveries for Woodleigh.

I ony did it because Geoff from Woodleigh said it would be fine and I trust his judgement.

That's my HO.

Your WR 500/465 is an older D/R as opposed to a rifle made in 1970 or newer, right?

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:

Your WR 500/465 is an older D/R as opposed to a rifle made in 1970 or newer, right?

Why the question about older or newer ?

Yes, typical old Boxlock Non Ejector but
a great carry gun.

Probably made war time or just after. Haven't research it.

BTW - I don't fire mono's through DR's and this was the first time and only because I know Geoff. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Are the new Woodleigh safe in MODERN DR's, if they are considered safe, why would the Barnes not be?

JD

500N,

I asked if your rifle was older because the opening
post of this thread by J D referred to modern rifles. wave

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigFiveJack:
quote:
Originally posted by J D:
Are the new Woodleigh safe in MODERN DR's, if they are considered safe, why would the Barnes not be?

JD

500N,

I asked if your rifle was older because the opening
post of this thread by J D referred to modern rifles. wave

OK, thanks, missed that !!!!

I'd still fire them in my Merkel 375 and 470 if they wanted recoveries.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh vs Barnes ... probably different material used in the construction. Perhaps this is the reason for the recommendation of one over the other.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All that I can say about the new Woodie hydro is that they're in love with them, have you seen the prices? I'm not a barnes guy and I don't like the bands for DR use. I doubt very seriously the Woodie hydro's are any better than a GS or NF FN solid which are priced much less.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote