New
Find
Notify
Tools

need help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am trying to get an sxs shotgun made to an sxs slug gun,what i need to know if there anyone on this forum that can do this project? My action is an 12ga. Spanish made shotgun name Laurona which is an W.W. Greener crossbolt,my barrels that i will be using will E.R. Shaw barrels.What i need to know if there is anyone that will take on this project?if so would they post this information.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Like this one?

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti....aspx?Item=255343884

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That what i am looking for Mike ,if you know someone let know.

Posts: 190 | Location: new castle,de. | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to contact John Maples. His phone number is 713-412-5816

Posts: 139 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Contact the seller of that one. He did it.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strongly suggest using a higher quality donor. Laurona is not a high quality gun to invest much money in. Lots of older GDR guns around, ie Simson, Sauer, Merkel

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with what others here have written, suggested. Also, consider selling what you have there, for your project gun, and buying the Aforementioned Beretta conversion, as it is well done on an excellent action, with a reasonable price, or talk with that builder to see what work he would be willing to do for you. Other guys who could do it would include: Clarkcustomguns.com (he is making DR conversions using CZ Ringneck and Bobwhite actions), and could, obviously do your project. Judson, in the state of Maine, a gunsmith, has done nice conversions. Jason Moniot, Maple, Wisconsin (218-590-4878, has done many conversions, and could do yours, if he is willing. Jason Simpkins in Washington state, who posts as BlainSimply on w.nitroexpress.com, has done several conversions, and could do the work. There are many others too.

Posts: 121 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thank you guys for the information,but i am alittle confuse.The reason is there are afew guys that used the Laurona action for their 303 British,and i was just going to used the same action for 12ga.slug gun project.If anyone that has this action would they please post,one think i know is i am not going to give up on this project i know that someone will do this project.Also how can you tell a good action for an donor?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to do this conversion I would be looking for a East German Merkel, Simson, Sauer, older Beretta, Husqvarnaa or even a AYA. They all can be had for a reasonable price and are a higher quality than the Laurona.
The Laurona was always a inexpensive gun.
Instead of asking current Laurona owners you should talk to a gunsmith that works on SXS doubles. Ask the gunsmith about problems they have seen, broken parts, soft or crudely fitted parts, coming off face, etc.
If in the future you break something finding parts may be a real problem, especially for guns that are not common.
My first choice would be a East German gun, lots of them floating around at a reasonable price, well made, well fitted parts.
As one poster mentioned you might be ahead just buying the Beretta on GB

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis used to offer a double slug gun. I'll bet you will have as much invested trying to build one as a Chapuis would cost. I would look for a Browning S/S if I was intent on doing this. Butch Searcy made 470 rifles on that gun.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miroku (Browning), SKB, and other quality Japanese actions would also be a good choice for a donor. Chapuis only wants to make a smooth bore slug gun

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might keep your eyes open for one. I came across this Ugartechea 6 or 7 years ago for $400. Though a smooth bore, it throws multiple pairs of 1 oz Brenekke MP's inside 2" or so right on top of the front sight at 50 yards. Barrels are 25", it weighs a hair under 7# and swings and balances beautifully. You may still be able to order one from them. It was called the Jubali.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Either far north Idaho or Hill Country Texas depending upon the weather | Registered: 26 March 2005Reply With Quote