Find
Notify
Tools

My Hollis 500/450NE!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted
She's an A. Hollis best quality extractor with manual safety in 500/450 3.25" NE. Made in 1906 by Leonard of Jefferies rifle fame. She has claw mounts, a flip up ivory night sight, an express sight, two folding leaves, and a ramp sight out to an optimistic 1000 yards! Here's some pictures of the gun and a target from today!

Me with my baby:

480 grain soft Woodleighs at 2050fps:

Very top is R1. Far left is L1. Bottom of three is R2. Middle of three is L2. This is a 1.5" group from a standing rest at 50 yards. 102.5 grains of IMR 4831.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrads a great looking + straight shooter and it looks good on you

Posts: 489 | Location: British Columbia Canada  | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You Sir, have what is one of the best hunting double rifles on Planet Earth.

The first thing I would do is try to fine somebody locally [I would NEVER send that double through the mail]to fit a Swarovski or S&B scope in the 1 to 4 range to those claw bases.

Second I would try some 350gr Hornady RN bullets over the same powder charge that is working with the 480 gr bullets.

You might have to adjust a grain or 3 up or down, but most likely not. This makes a great load for lessor big game, practice and plinking with your double.

Third, you need to buy that rifle a ticket to Africa, for elephant and cape buff.

I think the two BEST hunting double rifles on the Planet were made by Leonard, and Webley.

THAT is one very nice double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It looks like you've got it dialed in! Cool!!

In an ironic twist of fate,, Last week end we looked Brett's Hollis over with mine next to it.. Both are 1906 500/450 NE rifles by Lenord, sold by Hollis and together again 104 years later. And 3 serial numbers apart!
Where have they been and what have they done in the last 104 yrs.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little historical info...

The long range "Ladder" sight was put on a lot of 450/400 rifles.

Many times it is refered to as a "Cape Sight".

That is one super nice double.

How long are the barrels?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting Brett! I'm sorry I missed things today but work reared its ugly head again. Is that the load you've settled on?

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 812 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
26" I have spring bear and fall moose on the agenda at the momment! Tanzania for a 21 day hunt is eminent next year or the year after.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Omnivorous_Bob:
Good shooting Brett! I'm sorry I missed things today but work reared its ugly head again. Is that the load you've settled on?

That's what I'm thinking. Pretty hard to beat 1.5" groups at 50 yards with velocity at 2050fps. I'm headed up to Cal's next weekend to work on solid loads and some 350 Hornady loads.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of peterdk
posted Hide Post
brett

congratulations that is a wonderful rifle, i think they covered every base with that sight arrengtment, i would hate to file that in again Smiler

grouping looks real good, you got a keeper there.

best

peter

Posts: 1336 | Location: denmark | Registered: 01 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I hope you know that at a thousand yards that thing will be shooting way to the left!

Congrats on a definitely cute double.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19333 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Wow! Another beautiful Hollis! Congrats on what you will find is a great rifle! Really like the claw mounts!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!! That is a beautiful rifle.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A beauty and a near twin to my 450-400. Would you mind pm'ing me the last 3 numbers of your gun and the Leonard numbers under the fore-end. If this is the gun that Champlins listed, it's one number different from mine.

My gun lost the ladder sight along the way. Wish I had it, but haven't had to shoot at anything at 1000 yards yet! Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You won't have any excuse if you miss the ele's brain at 25 yards! Wink

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobc:
A beauty and a near twin to my 450-400. Would you mind pm'ing me the last 3 numbers of your gun and the Leonard numbers under the fore-end. If this is the gun that Champlins listed, it's one number different from mine.

My gun lost the ladder sight along the way. Wish I had it, but haven't had to shoot at anything at 1000 yards yet! Bob

It is the same one that Champlin was selling. Like Mike said he has a Hollis 500/450 that's 3 numbers off mine.

Brett

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
clap I know you will be lovin' that rifle more every time you shoot it.

To hunt with it will be magical. The whole crew of us DR guys are happy

for you, I am sure!
jumping

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Brett,

Nice rifle and it can shoot.

Looks as if you are a tad to the left. If, and only if, you can easily move the backsight; that is, if it has set screws and you can back them out to move the back sight in its dovetail, then I'd argue for carefully tapping it just a very, very small bit to the right to move your point of impact right onto the bull. I imagine the current geometry is marked with a cut at the front of the backsight that includes rib and dovetail. You can judge how much you tap to the right from that. Then see how it prints before using a thin blade to make your mark.

Did that with my 500/450 that had the center of the composite group about an inch and a half to the right at 50 yards.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1320 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of my Leonard serial number on the under rib near the barrel loop.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle & thanks for posting. I look forward to more pictures of successful hunts with that rifle.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Muletrain
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! Congratulations on the new baby.

Elephant Hunter,
Double Rifle Shooter Society,
NRA Lifetime Member,
Ten Safaris, in RSA, Namibia, Zimbabwe

Posts: 955 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Brett:
It was a pleasure having you up Sunday. Part of the fun of a double is getting it to shoot. Nest week, about 3 grains less of IMR 4831 should dial in the Woodleigh solids with safe pressure. Past experience has shown the same powder charge with the solid bullets will make the action stiff to break open. About 3% less will solve the problem. See you next week.
cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
beautiful true classic lines of a pre-war british cordite expressrifle.

Congratulations here from the big D.. patriot

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
I had the LOP lengthened during the week. Today I managed to get Woody 480 solids going with 98 grains on IMR 4831. The Hornady 500s also obliged with the same load as the Woody 480 softs with 102.5 grains IMR4831. The 350 Hornadys were a little squirrelly. A work in progress.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

-Seth Peterson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrat's Brett, beautiful rifle and accurate perfect combo. Hope it gets to see Africa soon. Dirk

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote