THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Rock Chucks and Double Rifles....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rock Chucks and Double Rifles....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted
Took the Sabatti out tonight for a little fun and some target practice but ran into a bunch of rock chucks. I shot this one at 98 yds and was well pleased.

Tyler

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler, a Rockchuck at 98 yards with a DR and open sights? That says a lot about both you and the rifle! Good job!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice. It would be hard for me to see that bugger at 98yds, let alone accurately hurl lead at him.

That's some good lookin dirt too. I know that sounds funny, but if you have livestock, you inevitably become a grass farmer....our dirt is very poor in comparison....

Bailey Bradshaw

www.bradshawgunandrifle.com

I'm in the gun buildin bidness, and cousin....bidness is a boomin

Posts: 568 | Location: Diana, TX | Registered: 10 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
Nice shot!!!

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, well done.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Great shot!

Love the shirt.

People Eating Tasty Animals clap

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
I wondered if anyone would notice the shirt. I thought it appropriate when posting the photo.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ogden, Utah | Registered: 13 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
That’s some nice shooting.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good Shooting. Perfect cal for up there. You do realize if you had used a 470 or 500, real dangerous game rifles, there would but nothing left but tail and ears (just throwing it into the fan ,cause it'e too quite here)Good luck and enjoy your rifle

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Tyler:
Excellent shooting! Mark Sullivan told me when he was living in Arizona he would practice on jack rabbits with his doubles as it taught him to "feel" the sear as it let go with the trigger pull and this was a great help in his big game hunting. Also, I hope you send in this photo to PETA and maybe they may pay you a stipend for the poster-boy advertisement. Your shirt should be an inspiration to all of us who hunt--wear PETA gear to give the low-life, no-life bastards a slap in the face. Last of all,if you hit the little critter with a .500 there would be a .500" diameter hole in the chuck as the bullet would not even begin to expand. Enjoyed your post greatly!
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Tomorrow night I'll grab my father-in-laws's 470 Chapuis and see what becomes of the little critters. They're really tearing up a hay field. Besides, walking through knee high grass at ready-low with a double and pretending you're after a wounded animal is still loads of fun.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tyler, great shooting. I am a ground hog hunter from PA. Yes I let them have it with my 450#2 Famars.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by touchdown88:
Tomorrow night I'll grab my father-in-laws's 470 Chapuis and see what becomes of the little critters. They're really tearing up a hay field. Besides, walking through knee high grass at ready-low with a double and pretending you're after a wounded animal is still loads of fun.

A good shot and a quick study!

Now that you are poperly armed(just kidding) If you reload try some 474 hornady xtp pistol bullets over your normal charge. They shoot well and come apart.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Took the Chapuis 470 out this morning for a little shoot at some whistle pigs and had a blast. I shot 5 times and took 3 rock chucks. I was shooting practice rounds and missed the first shot low, but after using the 100m sight I took 3 in a row.

Also, for all who are wondering, a 470 will blow up the chucks. My dad was shooting a 223 and the 470 actually had a better 'blow up' factor than I expected.

One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Tyler

Firstly off, Good shooting.

I have been using my rechambered Ruger #1 in 450 NE on woodchucks, I think the running total is 9 now.
The first was 40 yds with irons and a 500 Gr woodleigh, talk about blow up factor.
Lately I have been using the Hornady FTX 325 Gr bullets, they are very soft and also blow up pretty good.
They are clocking ~ 2300 fps over 96 grains of IMR.
I have to admit I am now using a 1.25 - 4 X scope, cheating I know.

Lots of fun.

Cheers
Nitro

PS: Noticed and loved the shirt, "If we aren't suppossed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat ?" or " Why are they so tasty ?"

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
At a DRSS hunt in north Texas a few years back I took the head clean off a jack rabbit at about fourty yards with my .500 NE Merkel.

Fun!

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of touchdown88
posted Hide Post
Just an update on the wistle pig hunts. I've been busy remodeling my kitchen and last night was the firt time that I've been out hunting in a couple of days. This time I took out the Chapuis and had some fun.

After handling both the Chapuis and Sabatti double rifles over the last couple of days and shooting both, I've come upon a dilema. I actually like the feel of the Sabatti over the Chapuis. Now to some extent we're comparing apples and oranges, but when I throw the guns up the Sabatti feels more comfortable to me. The top of the stock above the cheak rest on the Chapuis feels a little sharp on my cheak bone and is a little uncomfortable. I was wondering if anyone has had this type of 'problem' before.

Tyler

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Tyler,
The Stock on the Chapuis 470 hurts me the same way. I had the opportunity to buy one at a great price, but passed do to this problem. The gun hurt me to shoot it. This is also the reason the owner decided to sell. I like the guns but the stocks need a lot of work.

If you can get your hands on one the the chapuis 9.3x74r rifles I think you will find them a joy to carry and shoot!

Cheers

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote