THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Anyone with good .470NE loads with CEB's???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone with good .470NE loads with CEB's???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I am trying to work up a load for the .470 with CEB raptors and RL-15 or Norma 203B. Mjines has told me that 94 grains has worked well for him, and I have a few of those with Kynoch wads loaded to try. Anyone else have any pet loads with CEB's? Hoping the 94 gr load works for me, and all will be good, but just wanted to get a few other options if it does not.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim,
The lot of RL15 that I have is a hot lot. My load is 87gr of RL15 with Kynoch wad and 500gr CEB solid. That chronographs at 2150fps mv. I also use 106gr of IMR4831,no wad, with the CEB's and that shoots very well in my Searcy and Merkel.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using 106 Grains of IMR 4831 with the CEB. It regulates well in my Heym and worked perfectly on a couple of Zim bulls this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another option is to use H-4831. 110 grains will give you around 2,150fps and it is an extreme powder so high temps will be less of an issue. No fillers are necessary.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:
I'm using 106 Grains of IMR 4831 with the CEB. It regulates well in my Heym and worked perfectly on a couple of Zim bulls this year.

+1 I use the same load in my Searcy double and it shoots width of the barrels at 25 yards.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I had to push the 500 solids, and 460 non-cons pretty fast in my 470 to get them to regulate. Will need to dig up the file. But I think I was running the solids at a bit over 2300 and the non-cons close to 2400.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks all you guys. I appreciate all the help. Plan to test the 94 gr 203B load tomorrow. Will see what happens.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 4831 in all of my nitro doubles. In the .470 and other like cases, 105 to 109 grains seems to regulate well, depending on the individual rifle. Although, I use Woodleigh bullets.
Good luck, Tim.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MikeBurke
posted Hide Post
Tim,

May I suggest you start slightly lower. Currently I am using 93 grains of RL 15 with the CEBs in my 470. I have used other lots of RL 15 that required less powder.

RL 15 is somewhat notorious for being inconsistent. I am not familiar with 203B but I understand it is the same or very similar powder.

I would (actually did) start at around 89 grains and work my way up. Better safe than sorry especially with a double rifle.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike...Will do. I think the difference in RL-15 and 203B is that it is an updated formula/equivalent that is supposed to be more uniformed and not have those hot lots, etc.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
OK guys...input wanted after range session today...

My gun shoots 110 gr of Norma MRP with 500 gr Nosler Solids as a ragged hole. It does the same with Nosler factory loads with 500 gr solids.

I want a load with the 460 gr CEB's as well, and my gun did not like this bullet with 94 gr of 203B. So should I drop down and try 88, 90 and 92 grain loads to see if that helps?

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Tim, when you say it didn't like the CEB's, can you be more specific? Spread, crossed, vertical? Did you chrony the loads?

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I did not chrono but will next time. They crossed and at 50 yards the left was about 2" high and 4" right of the right barrel. The right barrel was a good bit high from bullseye. (when sighted in with the solid load)

25 yards was the same, just not spread as far, they still crossed. I understand from Mike that the load is too hot. I will take the chrono next time, and maybe start with an 88 gr load. Will also chrono the loads that shoot well and try to match that velocity.

Other input very welcome...I will take all the help I can get.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Yep, if crossing, almost guaranteed they are too fast. Of course, it could be a powder issue as well. In other words, speed of the powder in terms of acceleration rate of the bullet can be an issue as well as absolute velocity of the bullet. The key is to find that perfect balance of acceleration rate that causes the bullet to leave the barrel at the right point on the recoil arc.

That said, right now, the next step is to back down on the powder load and try and slow them down a bit. If you get them to shoot parallel but the velocity is too slow, you'll need to change powder and try again.

Call me if I can help at all. After all, getting a double to shoot correctly is PFM most of the time!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim, I could never get RL 15 and the CEB's to regulate well in my Heym. It was the powder I wanted to use so I tried hard. IMR 4831 worked well. It was predictable in that as the powder charge increased the left and right barrel converged. I ended up with 107 grains with the 460 and 106 grains with the 500. The Federal factory loads, Woodleigh solids, softs and Hydrostatics all regulated great. So in my gun it was the combination of RL15 and the CEB's that it did not like for some reason as Federal reportedly uses RL 15 in their 470 Nitro loads.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
interesting...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
tim@trophyadventures.com

One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Good to know about 203B
Been using RL15 for all my big stuff including 450 and 500 doubles and so far so good
That 94,gr seems bit too much Tim

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by subsailor74:
quote:
Originally posted by Adamsdjr:

+1 I use the same load in my Searcy double and it shoots width of the barrels at 25 yards.

exact same here.

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote