New
Find
Notify
Tools

Asking for your opinion
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering the purchase of another double.
This is a .303 Army Navy with a few issues.
The bore is clean and I have not shot it yet.
Is anyone willing let me know what you think a fair price might be. You could PM if you prefer.
Thank you.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank, as far as the "issues" go I would have JJ Perodeau look it over.
Then an honest price can be established.
Also he can tell you if any thing needs to be fixed.

As far as calibre goes the 303 is as good as any under 9,3x74R.

There is nothing wrong with a 303 double rifle.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Frank,
Even if the price is low enough, the "issues" will cost a lot to fix. Just depends if you have the time and money.

After the "issues" are corrected by the proper folks, I would think your chances of getting your money back would be slim and none. Right now I'd just call this one a "beater".

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
It definately has some issues! Like most doubles chambered for 303 this rifle has been used, and abused, at least cosmeticly. First off the rifle seems to be an extractor rifle, it has been put away wet more than a couple times. the engraveing is GONE. The stock absolutly needs tightening, or replaceing. It is imposible to tell if the rifle is tight or not, but it shows no gaps that I can see. The stock has been repaired at least twice, and seems to oil soaked. The picture of the rifle full length, is a picture of a well ballanced rifle, that was once the pride of somebody's cabinate.It seems the doll's head also has a bite locked by the lever nose, or could be a screw third fastener.

So the PLUSES are:

Bore seems clean
screw lock third fastener
lock-up seems tight ???????

Minuses are:

pitting abounds
Stock oil soaked, been repaired, and loose. may need replaceing

There could, and probably are, other things not seen in these pictures. Still if it shoots, and you can get it dirt cheap, and are willing to go to the expence of the repairs that are needed, and if you intend KEEPING the rifle, then you might come out alright.

My guess is, if you put this rifle in good hunting shape, you will have spent enough to have bought a NEW Merkel, Chapuis, or Krieghoff 9.3X74R double rifle. Now if I could look this thing over in my hands, the whole thing might swing 90 degrees either way!

All this is a long winded way of saying it is hard to evaluate a double rifle from a picture and that is about as far as anyone can go, under these cercumstances. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate your willingness to advise me on this little gem. I know now that it will not be as sweet as others I have seen here.
I am getting it at a very good price so I will put a little sweat equity into tightening up the stock enough to shoot it some. I have decided not to do anything fancy but rather to shoot it as is awhile and maybe have a few knowledgeable people look it over as well. I feel the action is very tight so I know it is safe to shoot some at least.
Thanks for the honest comments.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you should pass and tell me where it is at. jumping

I would love to own it. Big Grin

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gosh if only you had contacted me a few minutes earlier. I would gladly have passed and put your name forth as a buyer. I know you would have enjoyed it. animal
I think I will enjoy it first and then maybe see if someone else wants to enjoy it also.
Frank

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Frank!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Rusty and everyone. Being able to seek advice here is really helpful and I can see that I need to do more reading and studying about these rifles. For now I am working on shooting the Osbourne and now this little .303.
Frank

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CONGRATULATIONS

Sour grapes on my part. Still if you
have second thoughts Big Grin

After you correct the problems please give us a

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote